What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 ODI WORLD CUP discussion thread

chigurh

lol at the Saffers humouring the kiwis.

I assume this means that NZ has indeed qualified for the WC? :p

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-south-africa-2014-15/content/current/story/793881.html

Lyon dropped, Hazlewood earns recall for SA ODIs

ESPNcricinfo staff

October 29, 2014

Spinners Nathan Lyon and Xavier Doherty have been left out while Josh Hazlewood's sizzling form in the Matador Cup has earned him a recall into Australia's 13-man squad for the first two ODIs of a five-match series against South Africa beginning November 14.

Wicketkeeper Brad Haddin has been rested for the series and Matthew Wade will take the gloves in his place. Michael Clarke, Shane Watson and Mitchell Marsh have been picked to make their return to the ODI line-up against South Africa after all three were forced to withdraw from the ODI series against Pakistan due to injury.

Both Lyon and Doherty were part of Australia's ODI squad against Pakistan in the UAE but have been left out in favor of Hazlewood and Nathan Coulter-Nile as part of a pace-heavy unit tailored to home conditions for the first two matches of the series in Perth.

"We are continuing to keep a close eye on players we feel could have a significant role to play in the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup and many of these players have been rewarded with selection in this initial squad to face South Africa," said Rod Marsh, chairman of Australia's national selection panel. "At this stage, the squad is only for the first two matches of the series and balances out player preparation for long and short form cricket as we build into a big summer. This squad caters for the WACA's renowned fast and bouncy surface with six pace bowling options."

Hazlewood, 23, played the last of his two ODIs in September 2013 against England at Edgbaston but has been rewarded for his strong showing in Australia's recently completed domestic one-day tournament where he was the second-highest wicket-taker, along with Coulter-Nile. Hazlewood's performances included a New South Wales record haul of 7 for 36 against South Australia. Coulter-Nile has returned after recovering from surgery on his left hamstring in June that caused him to miss Australia's tour of Zimbabwe in August.

Both Hazlewood and Coulter-Nile were kept out of Australia's T20 squad for the three-match series which precedes the ODIs in a move that national selector Mark Waugh said was designed at managing workloads throughout the summer leading into the World Cup. In addition to Lyon and Doherty, Sean Abbott has also been dropped after making his ODI debut in the UAE, where he claimed 1 for 25 in the first ODI against Pakistan.

According to Cricket Australia, Mitchell Starc and James Faulkner were omitted from the squad, despite being part of Australia's ODI touring unit in the UAE, to give them playing opportunities in the Sheffield Shield ahead of Australia's first Test of the summer in December against India.

Australia ODI squad: Michael Clarke (capt), George Bailey, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade (wk), David Warner, Shane Watson

As may have mentioned already, not sure why Wade is there

Id have Xavier in the squad (over Richardson), he isn't too bad in the 50 over game. We are gonna rely on Smith and Maxwell for spin

TheParraboy

Staff member
We play this 5 ODI series v South Africa over 10 days... Nov 14- 23

then 4 tests vs India

then the tri-series with India-England (2 games against each side)

If we don't make the tri-series final, we only play 4 ODIs prior to the World cup after the India test series.

Players not in the test line up have the BBL and shield games.

I thought we had a lot more ODIs prior to the WC but potentially only 4, maximum 5 games to prepare. Would this be enough?

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It should be enough. Our batting line up is pretty settled. Our bowling line up is almost there apart from the spinners spot. Are the final squads 14 or 15? Either way a 2nd keeper is a luxury.

vvvrulz

Coach
One of the hardest cups to pick, no clear favourite in sight.
The choke factor keeps South Africa in doubt

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
One of the hardest cups to pick, no clear favourite in sight.
The choke factor keeps South Africa in doubt

Australia at home have to be favourites, and that's not guided by patriotism but history, form and talent available. India and Sri Lanka have traditionally struggled in Australian conditions, England are woeful at the one day game, New Zealand's form of late is pretty lacklustre.

South Africa are probably the best credentialed team, better than Australia but despite their protests their previous chokes in World Cups plays on their minds.

Pakistan are the dark horses. They are always capable of beating anyone and their playing unit looks pretty tight at the moment.

You can forget the rest.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Wouldn't be surprised if India go back to back. I think SL and NZ will be under rated but do well

Anyone gonna try and get to a game or two?

I might be able to get to the WI v Zimbabwe game in Canberra Tues 24th Feb
or Ireland v SA also in Canberra March 3rd

African Monkey

First Grade
Got tickets to England v Scotland in Christchurch. Pakistan play the West Indies down here too so I'll probably get down to that too.

JJ

Immortal
Australia at home have to be favourites, and that's not guided by patriotism but history, form and talent available. India and Sri Lanka have traditionally struggled in Australian conditions, England are woeful at the one day game, New Zealand's form of late is pretty lacklustre.

South Africa are probably the best credentialed team, better than Australia but despite their protests their previous chokes in World Cups plays on their minds.

Pakistan are the dark horses. They are always capable of beating anyone and their playing unit looks pretty tight at the moment.

You can forget the rest.

Form to an extent, and history - but not talent tbh, sorry but I don't think anyone is looking at the current Australian team and being awestruck by the talent.

Pretty open tbh, South Africa obviously the best side, but clearly not great under pressure. Australia, India and Sri Lanka there abouts. NZ and Pakistan dangerous, but Pakistan plagued by selections etc, and I suspect either way Jesse Ryder will be NZ's undoing... not sure why they haven't made a clear statement on the self-obsessed f**k, he seems to want someone to beg him to play, based on him flogging some barely club standard bowlers

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Good to see Haze rewarded for his domestic performances. Not sure what Scissorhands has done to be picked.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Im am just as puzzled with Wades selection

Be a perfect time to blood a better keeper/bat (even Carters would have been a better option and he didn't even keep in the matador cup), as its only for the first two ODIs before Hadds is back. They could always go back to Wade at anytime if they get desperate, so weird why they passed up an opportunity to groom someone new, with an eye of being Hads replacement when he calls is stumps.

TheParraboy

Staff member
For those wandering, this is the strip we will be wearing in the WC

Attachments

• australia.jpg
    australia.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 6

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/807227.html

Gambhir, Yuvraj omitted from probables

ESPNcricinfo staff

December 4, 2014

Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, Zaheer Khan, Gautam Gambhir and Harbhajan Singh have been omitted from the 30-member preliminary squad for the World Cup picked by India's selectors on Thursday. It has been almost a year since any of them made the ODI side.

MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina and R Ashwin were the only survivors from the squad that won the 2011 World Cup.

India probables MS Dhoni, Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Robin Uthappa, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Kedar Jadhav, Manoj Tiwary, Manish Pandey, Wriddhiman Saha, Sanju Samson, R Ashwin, Parvez Rasool, Karn Sharma, Amit Mishra, Ravindra Jadeja, Akshar Patel, Ishant Sharma, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron, Dhawal Kulkarni, Stuart Binny, Mohit Sharma, Ashok Dinda, Kuldeep Yadav and M Vijay

Like the Aussie pyjama strip. Best one we've had in a long time.

This little gem popped into my mind soon as I saw it: "That's Australian gold my friend, and don't you f**kin' forget it!"

On the Cup, the Aussies, Pakis and Saffas are probably the three most likely to take it out.

Saffas have the talent, the Pakis are oozing confidence at the moment and we've got the advantageous conditions and always seem to perform well on our own soil.

Have a sneaking suspicion the Kiwis will surprise as well. Don't know what it is but I think they'll go well.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
Paki's can't cope with any sort of pace or movement in the air or off the seam and that was evident by just how dead those pitches were in the UAE

South Africa definitely have the team to win it but they always seem to come up short in the big tournaments and for me it was quite disturbing just how much they were relying on De Villiers in the ODI series just gone

I think this is ours for the taking, we have just about every area covered in terms of quality.. the only thing we lack is a world class ODI spinner

In terms of batting, I get the feeling that in order for us to not be scoring 270+ we are going to have to be bowled out.. our batting has to be up there with the best in the world right now Warner & Finch to blast us off to a start, Clarke, Smith, Bailey in the middle and then you got the likes of Faulkner and Maxwell (who I think will get picked for his bowling) to finish off at the end

I see us being very hard to beat

The Saffas had a dip in form. If they all fire in the WC everyone they play against is in trouble.

They're all class players and I'm sure they'll be mentally ready for it.