What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016/17 Summer of Cricket

and, yet, excluding the 1st test of this series, SOK averages 36.7 at SR of 80.00 in his other 6 tests. These things can change pretty quickly OMC. I'm not of the mind that GOAT is a heaps better bowler than SOK. They are very different in approach. Bouncy wickets suit the GOAT without a doubt. Wickets with irregular, and sometimes low bounce suit the SOKmonster.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So Basil Brush, SOK has more wickets and a better average than Lyon this series, but Lyon has been the better bowler and deserves to keep his spot whilst SOK is dropped for Agar.

Hmmm....I think Basil Brush may be Rod Marsh.

Happy MEel

First Grade
and, yet, excluding the 1st test of this series, SOK averages 36.7 at SR of 80.00 in his other 6 tests. These things can change pretty quickly OMC. I'm not of the mind that GOAT is a heaps better bowler than SOK. They are very different in approach. Bouncy wickets suit the GOAT without a doubt. Wickets with irregular, and sometimes low bounce suit the SOKmonster.
Can we exclude Lyon's 2nd test then? His figures would make for much worse reading than SOK's.

Edit: just realised you're talking about career stats but I don't like putting qualifiers on things such as "if you exclude such and such" because "such and such" actually happened.

Happy MEel

First Grade
They are very different in approach. Bouncy wickets suit the GOAT without a doubt. Wickets with irregular, and sometimes low bounce suit the SOKmonster.
Probably the most rational thing that has been said in this thread for a few days.

Based on this and assuming we want to win as many games as possible, shouldn't we take a horses for courses approach with our spinning options rather than an incumbency approach?

Bazal

Post Whore
Basil Brush, you are kidding yourself!

Whether or not anyone watches any cricket at all, the numbers on the SOK vs Lyon thing speak for themselves. SOK has a better FC record, and, unsurprisingly, a better test record. In both formats SOK is more economical, has a better strike rate, and gets more wickets per game.
You say Lyon hasn't played much FC cricket? He was played 46 non-test FC games, SOK has 62. There really isn't much of a difference.

The aim of the game as a bowler is, ultimately, to take wickets. SOK gets more of them, faster, at a cheaper rate than Lyon. That's the story. You can't write it any other way.

I spoke to this bloke years ago who was convinced that Neil Harvey was a better batsman than Don Bradman. Was it you Basil Brush????

I wouldn't say SOK is obviously better. Just from my perspective that was never my point. My point was that, statistically, SOK has been robbed of opportunity at times whilst Lyon has been given the cushiest ride in Australian cricket.

SOK could have been better. We'll never know

oldmancraigy

Coach

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong numbers, but SOK has better numbers than GOAT against every nation that SOK has played against, AND in FC cricket in Australia.
Excluding 1 of his 7 tests is akin to taking to excluding the best 9 of Lyon's 66 tests... doesn't make much sense.

Lyon is the kind of guy who busts out the occasional haul, but he's generally pretty ordinary.

Probably the most rational thing that has been said in this thread for a few days.

Based on this and assuming we want to win as many games as possible, shouldn't we take a horses for courses approach with our spinning options rather than an incumbency approach?

Yep. If the pitches are sufficiently 'abnormal'.

Can we exclude Lyon's 2nd test then? His figures would make for much worse reading than SOK's.

Edit: just realised you're talking about career stats but I don't like putting qualifiers on things such as "if you exclude such and such" because "such and such" actually happened.

Yeh, my overall point (poorly expressed) was actually that SOK's test figures are going to be pretty volatile until he has played more games. So a comparison of the Test records is pretty noisy. Particularly when you consider that, as the '2nd spinner' (presently), SOK is going to tend to play on the more spin-friendly wickets, and the '1st spinner' tends to play in a broader set of conditions.