What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Coach Rumour

gordsy

Juniors
As far as experienced coaches go the only people I can think of are Folkes , Cleary or Tooves. Folkes hasn't been a first grade coach for a few years now but could make an excellent defence or fitness coach and you'd have tooves or cleary as head coach.

Knowing us we'll pick Kidwell with Payten as his assistant.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I don't care who it is they can't be worse than Taylor. He continuously says we are not far off. We are a million miles of the mark every week.

I have not seen one player improve under Taylor. I have seen a few go backwards.

At the moment I hold no hope of us playing quality football this year or next. At least a new coach will give me hope ( even if misguided) that we might not be absolute rubbish this time next year.

gordsy

Juniors
I don't care who it is they can't be worse than Taylor. He continuously says we are not far off. We are a million miles of the mark every week.

I have not seen one player improve under Taylor. I have seen a few go backwards.

At the moment I hold no hope of us playing quality football this year or next. At least a new coach will give me hope ( even if misguided) that we might not be absolute rubbish this time next year.

We did this with Potter and now with Taylor. We cry out for anyone but the last guy, sign someone just as bad and then up bad at square one a few years later. We'd be better off waiting till someone good comes up and grabbing them, instead of settling for someone who isn't as bad as the last bloke.

Potts didn't have the support of the board while JT appears on the surface to have the boards support for the time being,fact is neither has got the desired results,players definitely haven't taken to JT and his ways when that happens your time as a coach is limited.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
We did this with Potter and now with Taylor. We cry out for anyone but the last guy, sign someone just as bad and then up bad at square one a few years later. We'd be better off waiting till someone good comes up and grabbing them, instead of settling for someone who isn't as bad as the last bloke.

When we signed Taylor we had the opportunity to hire someone better ie Anthony Griffin. The longer we wait for a quality coach that has a good track record the worse we will be hence the harder it will be to attract a quality coach let alone quality players.

What clown sat there and determined gee this JT ticks all the boxs,lets sign him up as coach,if it was Mayer well good he has already been shown the door,if anyone else was involved in his recruitment i hope they are shown the same door .

I believe that Kidwell must go as well, he is supposedly the assistant coach with responsibility for defence.

In regards to getting an 'experienced' coach, Every coach got their first gig as the first grade coach by being a first grade assistant, a NYC coach or both, I believe importantly that it's important to see how they were assistant to or who was 1st grade coach when they were the NYC coach.

Toovey was assistant to Hasler,
Henry was assistant under Graham Murray, Mal Meninga & John Cartwright,
Robinson was an assistant under Smith at the Knights.

I'm happy to get a coach other than Toovey but would be happier if the club utilised someone with a very good football brain to consult or sit in on the interview process like Sterlo or tell the club tell the new coach that they will be utilising someone like Sterlo as a consultant or analyst rather than from what I can see whereby we get JT who has 1 game plan and sticks without regardless of results.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taylor was also an assistant.

Potter, Bennett and Sheens weren't.

Some people have a brain for the game.

philgood

Juniors
Spoke to a guy yesterday who is associated with Wests Magpies lower grades. Said the heat is on Jason Taylor after we narrowly beat he Knights last week. Geoff toovey has been approached.

When i asked about Ivan Cleary he said his we couldnt afford his asking price.

This guy has been spot on with with some rumors and a bit off with others in the past so make of it what you will. I hope he is spot on with this one.

Will get more info next week

rex2ce

Juniors
Buckets was standing behind JT in the box when full time blew, the look on his face pretty much said it all

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Taylor's contract expires at the end of this season doesn't it? I can't see it getting renewed but nothing would surprise me with this club.

macnaz

Staff member
Buckets was standing behind JT in the box when full time blew, the look on his face pretty much said it all

What did it say ? Just said im Mark Oneill and i have a job doing f**k all !
What did you read into his look .

super_coach

First Grade
The club has a get out of jail for free card with Taylor come the end of the season. He has to meet certain goals, if these are not met,he can be terminated at no cost to the club. Basically he has no chance of meeting these goals now, but of course the club may stick with him,the board seem to have a soft spot for him. Really unless they can land a outstanding candidate for 2017, I would stick with him while we try and entice a top liner over to Concord for 2018

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I think he is reasonably safe because
a: the current board appointed him, so if they turf him they are admitting they stuffed up
b: having sacked the last two coaches it looks bad if you also axe the current one. That would be three in a row, which would be off-putting to any decent coaches they might be trying to attract.

But who can predict the decisions of a rugby league board?