What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 super league season

CC_Roosters

First Grade
2 weeks until kickoff lets get some chat started!

Who will rise and who will fall, which team will win the league or the cup. Could the league be on the way to headingley again or will the lancashire sides step up or maybe even huddersfield will finally come away with it before their window closes

Will anyone get promoted? Leigh are certainly throwing enough coin at it so who knows.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'd be surprised if Huddersfield do a lot, their squad is very thin. They only have about 18/19 experienced first grade players as things stand.

Intresting to see how salford would go... Put $10 each down for catalans to win a premiership or challenge cup... Reckon they have a good side... Reckon wakefeild are gone and will get relegated(just a hunch)... Do they have that stupid super 8 concept still going??

Harrigan

Juniors
Speaking of depth, just looking at Leeds, they seem to have a good squad of about 24 players this season. They just named their team for the trial game against Bradford on Sunday and to say they've lost a few players, they look pretty damn strong.

1 Zak Hardaker
2 Tom Briscoe
3 Kallum Watkins
4 Joel Moon
5 Ryan Hall
6 Danny McGuire (c)
7 Rob Burrow
8 Keith Galloway
9 Beau Falloon
10 Adam Cuthbertson
15 Brett Delaney
12 Carl Ablett
16 Brad Singleton

14 Liam Sutcliffe
17 Mitch Garbutt
18 Jimmy Keinhorst
19 Mitch Achurch
21 Josh Walters
22 Ash Handley
23 Ashton Golding
25 Jordan Lilley
26 Brett Ferres

Also still missing Stevie Ward who will go straight into the 13 when back and Jamie Jones-Buchanan and Anthony Mullaly who will always be sniffing around the 17 and will spell certain weeks to give players rest.

Harrigan

Juniors
I've always felt that over Leeds decade of "dominance", the biggest frailty was the pack. They relied on 2 props who both had to play well and hope the other guys stepped up in big games, but it was never really consistent.

Looking at the 5 main props this season...

Keith Galloway - 30 - 195cm (6'5) - 112kg (17st 9lbs)

Adam Cuthbertson - 30 - 183cm (6'0) - 105kg (16st 7lbs)

Brad Singleton - 23 - 188cm (6'2) - 102kg (16st 1lb)

Mitch Garbutt - 26 - 191cm (6'3) - 113kg (17st 11lbs)

Anthony Mullally - 24 - 196cm (6'5) - 111kg (17st 7lbs)

That ticks a lot of boxes. Experience, size, speed, skill, youth.

All the talk about the loss of Peacock and Leuluai but I think this Leeds pack is the best I have seen (on paper) with a back row of Ward, Ablett, Delaney, Ferress, Achurch and Walters all vying for 3 places.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Intresting to see how salford would go... Put $10 each down for catalans to win a premiership or challenge cup... Reckon they have a good side... Reckon wakefeild are gone and will get relegated(just a hunch)... Do they have that stupid super 8 concept still going??
Wakefield should be much improved, I'm expecting them to challenge for the top 8.

JasonE

Bench
My tips

Win SL - Warrington
Moving up - Catalan
Moving down - Huddersfield
Wildcard - Hull FC
Steady - Cas Tigers
Bottom - Salford

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Forgot to tip the season!

Top the table- Saints
League Champion- Catalans
Challenge cup- Wigan (winner) v Salford
Bottom 4- Hull KR, Widnes, Wakefield, Hull FC

Nuke

Staff member
Does anyone have a pdf of the 2016 season fixtures? The NRL release their fixtures on their website in pdf form, however I can't find ESL fixtures I can download anywhere.

Nuke

Staff member
I can't find a full ESL season fixture on there to download, however geez Catalans have a decent squad there.

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
Predicted League Table
1. Wigan
2. St Helens
3. Leeds
4. Warrington
5. Huddersfield
6. Catalans
7. Salford
8. Hull KR
---