What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 team/squad

rabbitohs95

Bench
Gotta somewhat agree with Rsag here, Goodwin on the wing just doesn't do it for me. It's either centre or nothing.

Eventually i'd like to see a backline of

1. Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Auva'a
4. Hunt
5. Olive/Oldfield

I think we need a big f**ker like Semi on one wing
Lote mostly did a great job making good straight metres and quick play the balls on last tackle kick returns
Inglis
Johnson
Hunt
Avua,a
Big mother

Rabbits20

Immortal
Lote mostly did a great job making good straight metres and quick play the balls on last tackle kick returns
Inglis
Johnson
Hunt
Avua,a
Big mother

Goodwin makes good metres and shrugs off tackles with quick play the balls.

Obviously he's not as big though.

I wonder how Hunt would go on the wing????

Oops yes how could I forget Bryson
Well tbh r20 I'm just hoping that Hunt improves steadily and because he is bigger ,stronger and younger for him to end up with that no 3 spot
You are correct but as I'm a big fan of Goodwin and yes he does make great solid metres and always shrugs off a few tackles nearly every carry
So we are lucky really I think not all doom and gloom( Shadow) about our centre options
We have mr reliable and experienced ( Bryson) and a couple of bigger younger taller and stronger young guys nipping at his heels for his jumper

Rabbits20

Immortal
Oops yes how could I forget Bryson
Well tbh r20 I'm just hoping that Hunt improves steadily and because he is bigger ,stronger and younger for him to end up with that no 3 spot
You are correct but as I'm a big fan of Goodwin and yes he does make great solid metres and always shrugs off a few tackles nearly every carry
So we are lucky really I think not all doom and gloom( Shadow) about our centre options
We have mr reliable and experienced ( Bryson) and a couple of bigger younger taller and stronger young guys nipping at his heels for his jumper

That's right.

Halfway through the season too if a young guy is in first grade in the backs and gets injured we have a good back up ready in Goodwin who'd come in.

If Goodwin loses his spot I still think Madge would have him ready on standby in something like the no 19 jersey.

Good to hear you're a fan of Bryson too!!!

Rsag85

Bench
Inglis
Johnson
Hunt
Avua,a
Big mother

I'm thinking about someone outside of the NRL squad to push for a 1st grade spot at the end of the year. Goolagong, I can see a big future with this kid.

alien

Referee
1. Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Goodwin
4. Auva'a
5. Hunt
6. Keary
7. Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. McInnes
10. Thomas Burgess
11. Carter
12. Sutton
13. Sam Burgess

14. Cook
15. Clark
16. Grevsmuhl
17. Brown

Rabbits20

Immortal
1. Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Goodwin
4. Auva'a
5. Hunt
6. Keary
7. Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. McInnes
10. Thomas Burgess
11. Carter
12. Sutton
13. Sam Burgess

14. Cook
15. Clark
16. Grevsmuhl
17. Brown

Strong line up alien:)

I'd like Hunt to get time on the wing tomoorow.

My strongest:
1. GI (C)
2. AJ
3. Goodwin
4. Auva'a
5. Hunt (on NRL site it says Hunt is centre/wing)
6. Keary
7. Reynolds
8. G. Burgess
9. McInnes
10. Clark
11. Turner
12. Sutton
13. S. Burgess

14. Cook
15. Tyrrell
16. Carter
17. T. Burgess

18. Grevsmuhl (apparently he was lazy in the off season, his knee is playing up too, Grevs must lift and not get it handed on a platter)
19. A. Gray
20. Brown

21. Musgrove
22. Cody
23. Olive

alien

Referee
r20, in my side i have clark coming on as a second rower, and it is actually grevsmuhl and brown coming on as front rowers when the twins need a rest. my reasoning for that is i think grevs and brown would make more metres up the middle than clark. i also wouldn't rule out oldfield for that wing spot (instead of hunt) if he plays really well in this trial. i'm not sure why turner gets an automatic spot in a lot of people's side. he doesn't seem to make a lot of metres to me, and isn't very creative with the ball. his defense is usually ok. i think carter is probably a bit better overall. am i missing something about turner? i don't think he is bad, but i don't understand why he would get in the starting 13 before someone like carter

rabbitohs95

Bench
I'm really liking the fact we have so many options for so many positions.

The only real positions that are locked are GI at fullback, AJ on one wing, Reyno at halfback and Sam at lock. All the other ones are up for grabs and we have so much competition between players that we're gonna get the best regardless.

Barring injuries I think it'll be a good year for us.

Rabbits20

Immortal
r20, in my side i have clark coming on as a second rower, and it is actually grevsmuhl and brown coming on as front rowers when the twins need a rest. my reasoning for that is i think grevs and brown would make more metres up the middle than clark. i also wouldn't rule out oldfield for that wing spot (instead of hunt) if he plays really well in this trial. i'm not sure why turner gets an automatic spot in a lot of people's side. he doesn't seem to make a lot of metres to me, and isn't very creative with the ball. his defense is usually ok. i think carter is probably a bit better overall. am i missing something about turner? i don't think he is bad, but i don't understand why he would get in the starting 13 before someone like carter

Clark has bulked up.

I expect Madge to use him at prop.

Madge's favourite pet is Turner now Lowe has retired. Turner runs good decoys and makes a lot of tackles. Madge doesn't necessarily want his second rowers to make lots of metres.

Personally I'd like Carter starting but I don't think Madge will do this.

YES YOU ARE MISSING HE IS MADGE'S FAVOURITE PET NOW LOWE HAS RETIRED!!!!!!!

Madge would like Carter for impact I think. Madge likes balancing things.

Rsag85

Bench
So can I.

Come 2017 I reckon he will be in first grade.

Goolagong is only one year younger then AJ, I think mid year we could see Goolagong get a run.

The kid will be ready he has already played against men in the NSW Cup in 2014 for Wyong Roos.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Clark has bulked up.

I expect Madge to use him at prop.

Madge's favourite pet is Turner now Lowe has retired. Turner runs good decoys and makes a lot of tackles. Madge doesn't necessarily want his second rowers to make lots of metres.

Personally I'd like Carter starting but I don't think Madge will do this.

YES YOU ARE MISSING HE IS MADGE'S FAVOURITE PET NOW LOWE HAS RETIRED!!!!!!!

Madge would like Carter for impact I think. Madge likes balancing things.

No coach judges their players on how many metres they make. It'd be an absolutey stupid way to pick players

DiegoNT

First Grade
you don't think it's significant for forwards???

Nope.
More important then how many metres made is how those metres a made.
Are they getting quick play the balls.
Are they bending the line
Are the forwards getting back for early tackle count sets
Are forwards getting the ball into the positions the halves want them to be in
Are they breaking tackles, therefore draining the energy of opposition defenders
Are the targeting opposite halves and increasing their work load.
Are the running hard enough to attract 3 or 4 defenders, therefore leaving the defence short.
Are they running with the option to pass, opening more attacking options.
Are they running decoys lines. If they are, are they selling those decoy runs to the defence.
Are there runs creating energy that gives the rest of the team a lift
So many more factors go into making an elite forward, that sometimes a player who runs 100m per game is more productive then a player who's running 150m+ per game.
Look at some of the gun second rowers of the last 5 years, guys like Lewis, bird, proctor, thaiday, scott etc and you'll find that their metres made isn't always impressive, it's the other qualities that they bring to a team that's important. And that's not even getting started on defence.
The biggest example i can give that metres made and tackle counts don't mean much is from the rabbitohs around 2012. Sam and dave taylor both 2nd rowers at the time, were both making roughly 140m per game and 30ish tackles each but the differences in their games was astounding. Taylor refused to run at other forwards, he never ran before the 4th tackle and only ever ran at backs. He refused to get into the rough stuff. His 30 odd tackles would include about 25 flops on centres and halves. Sam would often be the first forward back, he'd take on forwards and still provide fast play the balls, he'd physically intimidate the other pack in attack. His defence was always in the middle. He would regularly put on good hits on the opposing teams forwards leaders.
Now if you only look at the stats you would of thought both were equal, but one player was a dud, cast aside and now in the super league, while the other become one of the best forwards in the game, and one of the leaders in our March to premiership 21

Latest posts