What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Wk 2 Semi - Raiders 22-12 Panthers @ GIO Stadium

Semi Finals: Raiders v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2016 - Semi Finals
Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers
GIO Stadium Canberra, Bruce (TICKETS)
Saturday 17 September 2016

Gates Open 4:45pm / U20s SF (CRO v SYD) 5pm / NRL 7:45pm

CAN-16teamlist2.png

1. Jack Wighton 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Joseph Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Blake Austin 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Junior Paulo 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliot Whitehead 13. Iosia Soliola
Interchange: 14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Luke Bateman 16. Clay Priest 17. Joseph Tapine

PEN-16teamlist.png

1. Matt Moylan 2. Josh Mansour 3. Waqa Blake 4. Tyrone Peachey 5. Dallin Watene Zelezniak 6. Bryce Cartwright 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Leilani Latu 9. Peter Wallace 10. Suaia Matagi 11. Isaah Yeo 12. James Fisher-Harris 13. Trent Merrin
Interchange: 14. Sitaleki Akauola 15. Jeremy Latimore 16. Chris Grevsmuhl 17. Zak Hardaker 20. Moses Leota

REF-RED-2016-150.jpg

Referees: Ben Cummins, Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor, Chris Butler
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Ben Galea, Ashley Klein

ISP NSW
Mounties v Wests Tigers @ Leichhardt Oval, Sunday 3:15pm

Head to Head
Overall 70 - Raiders 35 Panthers 34 Drawn 1
At GIO 26 - Raiders 18 Panthers 8
Finals 7 - Raiders 5 Panthers 2
Last 5 Meetings - Raiders 3 Panthers 2

Last meeting
2016 Round 9 - Panthers 19 Raiders 18 at Carrington Park, Bathurst

Biggest winning margins
2008 - Raiders 74 Panthers 12 at GIO Stadium (62 points)
1982 - Panthers 42 Raiders 8 at Pepper Stadium (36 points)
2004 - Panthers 42 Raiders 8 at Pepper Stadium (36 points)​

Last edited by a moderator:
This style of game will suit us to a tee if we defend well enough, I don't think we would have won against the Sharks in what would have been a pretty grinding game. But I think a Moylan field goal will get us home 19-18.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
If it's that close ill be fairly happy.
Without Hodgson its hard to see the Raiders being able to get the job done tbh.

Clifferd

Coach
Shame one of these teams has to lose, probably the entertainers of the finals series

I'll go raiders 22-12

nick87

Coach
Yeah i agree. At our best, full strength, i think this is a genuine 50/50 game. Take Hodgson out and Austin probably playing a little bit busted and it sways Penrith's way considerably

Styles make matches in the finals and i dont think we match up very well for Penrith's style tbh. We dont deal well with second phase play and ball movement within the forwards can eat us up when Preist, Bateman and Tapine are on the park... Panthers are in great form too, will come in full of confidence, Raiders reeling a bit...

It's a perfect storm of shit for us i think.

That said, we've got quality across the board. Our pack should hold it's own and we've got backs who can create out of nothing, so we're not out of this yet. Wighton will need to have a huge game for us to win, he's certainly capable of it.

Last edited:

user_nat

Coach
I have high hopes for this game. These teams play good football.
With no Hodgson I'm leaning Penrith at the moment.

Shorty

Staff member
Hard game to call!
I'm not sure about this one...maybe Raiders as they are at home.

carcharias

Immortal
So how does that work... raiders lose ...
And get another home game ???

WTF were the fans complaining about?

Ha
What bullshit.

shear_joy9

Coach
sezer has another week of training to try and learn how to be a first grader.
hopefully he avoids injuring any more team mates in the process...

The_Shield

Juniors
Don't know who I'd rather face next. Raiders aren't the same without Hodgson but Melbourne usually play better against the Panthers. Here's hoping it's a very tough physical battle. A bit of extra time might be good too

THE CHAMP

First Grade
The panthers played well today.
A couple of minor f**k ups but all in all very good.
Love how peachy plays. Just makes it look so easy at times.
He's welcome at the Broncos any time.
Panthers to win by 10.

chrisD

Coach
Storm game said Raiders can defend, but I'm not sure I believe it. I think we can defend, but I'm not sure, we haven't played a good attacking side who played a good game against us since we shifted into gear defensively.

Both teams can obviously attack.

Kilkenny

Coach
Assuming the Raiders are without there Dally M winner in Hodgson and Blake Austin if he plays will be a risk this is a 50/50 proposition despite the obvious massive home ground advantage.

I give the Panthers a good chance they are on the up and up and Raiders have to bounce back from the disappointment of a semi final most expected them to win convincingly.

I just hope each side get's there opportunity and there are no refereeing/bunker stuff ups!!! Please let two really good attacking sides decide the outcome on merit.

Latest posts