What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
How the top 8 are performing this year. With a season avg of barely over the 15k lets hope for some decent weather and some blockbuster games and that Roosters and Storm can maintain their very impressive crowd avg.

1. Storm 19,041
2. Sharks 12,711
3. Roosters 18,406
4. Sea Eagles 13,200
5. Broncos 32,128
6. Cowboys 15,252
7. Dragons 12,533
8. Eels 14,809

taipan

Referee
As usual your simplicity fails to grasp that pretty much every season for the last decade usually 5-6 of the top drawing teams have been in the top 8 yet crowds have dropped away consistently. Lets take 2015, our lowest ebb to date in the last decade you had:
Broncos, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Cowboys, Dragons in top 8. All big fanbase teams.
It was really only missing Knights and Parra to be the perfect storm for a big crowd season, yet it rated the lowest for years.
2010, one of our biggest crowd years ever only had 2 big drawing teams in the Dragons and Wests in the top 8.

Like I have said numerous times the sub 16k avg has been consistent for 5 years regardless of who is in the 8, this would suggest it isn't just about the teams doing well.

So what's changed? Ticket prices, schedules, weather patterns, style of footy, negative media, population, NRL ownership, fan engagement, fan expectation of facility. Probably a combination, or maybe just one or two things. One things for sure the money flowing into the game and the excitement of independent ownership certainly didn't have the positive outcome we had hoped for. I wonder what target the NRL will set in next years strategic plan lol.

As per usual you can't grasp simplicity.I've spelt out a decent number off examples.reasons,excuses,which you can't grasp.
Who knows for example if people are not happy with bunkers, refs.The underlying factors are numerous and not just one.People may want more comfort in watching games.IOW Sunday afternoon inserted of Nightime.You don't have to be a genius to figure that out.

And you should be in decent position to answer the question also, as to why Perth crowds are dropping,Especially as they are "desperate" they will crawl over hot coals to get there.Maybe the coals were too hot the last game to crawl over.
Oh wait ,you mentioned the bad weather.Yet when weather is brought up for Sydney,fans are sooks.Hypocritical melad.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Interesting to note Souths are 14th or 15th in home crowd averages.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As per usual you can't grasp simplicity.I've spelt out a decent number off examples.reasons,excuses,which you can't grasp.
Who knows for example if people are not happy with bunkers, refs.The underlying factors are numerous and not just one.People may want more comfort in watching games.IOW Sunday afternoon inserted of Nightime.You don't have to be a genius to figure that out.

And you should be in decent position to answer the question also, as to why Perth crowds are dropping,Especially as they are "desperate" they will crawl over hot coals to get there.Maybe the coals were too hot the last game to crawl over.
Oh wait ,you mentioned the bad weather.Yet when weather is brought up for Sydney,fans are sooks.Hypocritical melad.

Sydney fans are sooks for not going out in the rain, as are perth fans!
Unless the stadium is shite like shark park then I don't blame anyone for refusing to pay $40 to sit in the rain for 2 hours!

Both Perth crowds this year were rain effected and that combined with the realisation Perth isn't getting an NRL club anytime in most peoples lifetimes I'd suggest are the most likely causes. Marketing also seemed to be less conspicuous this year, don't know if the clubs were taking things a bit for granted? Finally chuck in $59 a ticket for a guaranteed dry seat and your answer is probably a combination of those things

On the plus side all 4 clubs involved in this years two games offered WA memberships for the first time which was positive to see.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting to note Souths are 14th or 15th in home crowd averages.

The crowd avg table so far (denotes current league position)

1. Brisbane (5)
2. Melbourne (1)
3. Roosters (3)
4. Newcastle (16 )
5. NQ (6)
6. Canberra (11)
7. Parra (8)
8. Bulldogs (13)
9. Titans (14)
10. Manly (4)
11. Cronulla (2)
12. Penrith (9)
12. St George (7)
14. NZ (10)
15 Wests (15)
16. Souths (12)

taipan

Referee
As usual your simplicity fails to grasp that pretty much every season for the last decade usually 5-6 of the top drawing teams have been in the top 8 yet crowds have dropped away consistently. Lets take 2015, our lowest ebb to date in the last decade you had:
Broncos, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Cowboys, Dragons in top 8. All big fanbase teams.
It was really only missing Knights and Parra to be the perfect storm for a big crowd season, yet it rated the lowest for years.
2010, one of our biggest crowd years ever only had 2 big drawing teams in the Dragons and Wests in the top 8.

Like I have said numerous times the sub 16k avg has been consistent for 5 years regardless of who is in the 8, this would suggest it isn't just about the teams doing well.

So what's changed? Ticket prices, schedules, weather patterns, style of footy, negative media, population, NRL ownership, fan engagement, fan expectation of facility. Probably a combination, or maybe just one or two things. One things for sure the money flowing into the game and the excitement of independent ownership certainly didn't have the positive outcome we had hoped for. I wonder what target the NRL will set in next years strategic plan lol.

I have to keep it simple for you, yet you still fail to grasp the points.

Do you understand 2014 was the driest autumn for many years, and 2015 in Sydney the wettest Autumn for 12 years.It rained for 23 days in April for a start.
With due respect Cowboys bring few to Sydney games.
.Check venues where games were played also,you ignore the Eels and also the Tigers FFS(did you bother to see the 2005 G/F and tiger's crowds) not performing in 2015.The very year less than 4,000 turned up on a Monday night Sharks v Souths,which would have at least got 12,000 given decent weather.Check the crowds at Canberra in 2015.

You the very same guy who protested so loudly when only 6,000 turned up at Perth,oh but it was shocking weather you stated.
Well wet weather in Sydney is just as shocking or uncomfortable ,if there is either little cover and the game is on a Monday night or tucked away at ANZ the mausoleum of stadiums.

Seriously mate,the reasons for crowd drops are multiple and varied,I have spelt out my thoughts.These same thoughts have been echoed by others on threads ,and in some cases by the NRL admin where they openly admit they will not have schedule control til 2018.

It's not just one thing.You could speak to 100 fans ,and they would have probably 30 different reasons.
And BTW moving a Sydney team to another state ,is not the answer .

Who knows how the economy is affecting people in the last few years, full time jobs being lost, replaced by part time ?Bearing in mind Sydney house prices are much dearer than Melbourne and the other AWFUL states.
All I know is ATM more people have become NRL members,and committed more money, than prior years.All I know in 2017 is none of the big crowd pulling Sydney teams have been standouts,some plain ordinary.

Do I like the situation ? No it's damn embarrassing.But I'd panic if in 2018 and 2021 when we control scheduling and have Parra Stadium done, and ANZ reconfigured and still the crowds dropped.

How long ago were we told AFL was going big in Brisbane because of the Lions.They ATM are basket cases and their crowds falling like a t*rd from a great height.Suns are hardly setting crowds on fire.

Whether conferences are the answer ,and concentrate each conference in "geographical" matches playing each other twice, and the other conferences once.That's the way I'd go.
18 teams : 3 conferences of 6.Each playing each other twice=10 matches in each conference plus once against the others.That's 22 rounds,Ideal for SOO/Internationals with the spare weekends.

taipan

Referee
Sydney fans are sooks for not going out in the rain, as are perth fans!
Unless the stadium is shite like shark park then I don't blame anyone for refusing to pay $40 to sit in the rain for 2 hours!

Both Perth crowds this year were rain effected and that combined with the realisation Perth isn't getting an NRL club anytime in most peoples lifetimes I'd suggest are the most likely causes. Marketing also seemed to be less conspicuous this year, don't know if the clubs were taking things a bit for granted? Finally chuck in $59 a ticket for a guaranteed dry seat and your answer is probably a combination of those things

On the plus side all 4 clubs involved in this years two games offered WA memberships for the first time which was positive to see.

That's not what you said re the Perth game.the rain is an excuse.
So if the Perth people are sooks for steering clear of the rain,and Sydney people likewise, there is no point in having a Sydney team of sooks playing before a Perth crowd of sooks.Or relocating,because they will still be playing in front of sooks.
The great Perth one city rectangular stadium is hardly something to boast ,about with large numbers exposed to the elements.You can bag Shark's stadium as you wish and I agree about lack of cover, but I would be rather humble because it Perth, is hardly 1st world material.Else they may have got a crowd of 20,000 instead of 6,000.

Blloody car races must have been on at the same time.Or was Queen Liz in town?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The crowd avg table so far (denotes current league position)

1. Brisbane (5)
2. Melbourne (1)
3. Roosters (3)
4. Newcastle (16 )
5. NQ (6)
6. Canberra (11)
7. Parra (8)
8. Bulldogs (13)
9. Titans (14)
10. Manly (4)
11. Cronulla (2)
12. Penrith (9)
12. St George (7)
14. NZ (10)
15 Wests (15)
16. Souths (12)
i dont think thats the crowd average table... where have you sourced it from?

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's not what you said re the Perth game.the rain is an excuse.
So if the Perth people are sooks for steering clear of the rain,and Sydney people likewise, there is no point in having a Sydney team of sooks playing before a Perth crowd of sooks.Or relocating,because they will still be playing in front of sooks.
The great Perth one city rectangular stadium is hardly something to boast ,about with large numbers exposed to the elements.You can bag Shark's stadium as you wish and I agree about lack of cover, but I would be rather humble because it Perth, is hardly 1st world material.Else they may have got a crowd of 20,000 instead of 6,000.

Blloody car races must have been on at the same time.Or was Queen Liz in town?

good rant but made little sense lol. I called the perth crowd what it was, sht. Just like I would call any crowd under 10k for a supposed top code sht. Sure it was sht weather but nib can accommodate a lot more under cover so people were sooks for not going, just like the Cronulla sooks that didn't go in the rain or because it s Thursday or because the roads are busy.

Never have claimed nib to be anything other than what it is a, a reasonably decent 21k half developed ground. Govt spent $125mill turning it from a shthole into a 1/2 decent stadium. Needs another $125mill to turn it into a top class one. Shark park? well nothing a stick of dynamite and a few hundred more apartments wont sort out. I guess the good people of perth will just have to be content with their main sport getting a $1bill venue befitting it at long last.

no car racing, already mentioned that. Maybe monster trucks are on at Cronulla every week that's why the second place minor premiers have such a pathetic sub 13k crowd avg? Or is that due to rain, fixtures, not playing a team down the road, car racing or the queen visiting?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now you can finally understand that weather plays a role

FFS I have never said weather doesn't deter soft people from going to sport! What I've said it is it is a poor excuse for half hearted fans not to turn out to support their club. With the caveat that if you know you're going to be expected to sit in the rain for the game then I don't blame anyone for not going.
We play in winter, its going to be sht weather more often than not, unless you want embarrassing crowds you need to provide venues that don't make people sit in the rain for 2 hours. After that it becomes a question of commitment, I have no idea how you encourage fans to be more committed to supporting their clubs. I guess if you accept that there is likely to be a 25-50% drop off in attendance in crap weather than the bigger your norm the less embarrassing and costly for clubs it becomes when that drop occurs.
Other than that just accept that our game isn't that popular and in inclement weather expect sub 10k crowds and then pray for dry autumns and winters, or move the game to summer.

taipan

Referee
good rant but made little sense lol. I called the perth crowd what it was, sht. Just like I would call any crowd under 10k for a supposed top code sht. Sure it was sht weather but nib can accommodate a lot more under cover so people were sooks for not going, just like the Cronulla sooks that didn't go in the rain or because it s Thursday or because the roads are busy.

Never have claimed nib to be anything other than what it is a, a reasonably decent 21k half developed ground. Govt spent $125mill turning it from a shthole into a 1/2 decent stadium. Needs another $125mill to turn it into a top class one. Shark park? well nothing a stick of dynamite and a few hundred more apartments wont sort out. I guess the good people of perth will just have to be content with their main sport getting a $1bill venue befitting it at long last.

no car racing, already mentioned that. Maybe monster trucks are on at Cronulla every week that's why the second place minor premiers have such a pathetic sub 13k crowd avg? Or is that due to rain, fixtures, not playing a team down the road, car racing or the queen visiting?

You don't like the facts, when it comes home to roost ,so you respond by calling it a rant.Great stuff.

Shark Park is club owned ,has a team, can and will be developed in to an all seater stadium,financed in the main by the club and no doubt down the line Govt grants.Membership a record and still; growing, merchandise store crowded again last Saturday.

NIB is not owned by a non existent NRL club and relies totally on Govt funding for the future.

The $1bn stadium is great,unfortunately not suitable for a team so desperate for an NRL team ,they can only muster 6,000 because of the sooks.Hell the Sharks got 4,000 in a Cat 2 cyclone ,with little cover.

The 20,000 that attended the Sharks game minus SOO players says hi , BTW.

No we won't have a car track, but a new you beaut bike track at the back, plus parks, and restaurants.Just looking at the 2nd stage 2 new high rise towers all sold.The 3rd stage and the retail development next.Terrible stuff isn't it.

So then you can then tell me "to get on my bike".

BTW whatever the average ends up in 2017,it will that much more than your devoted lot.

Get the crowds and I'll be the first to cheer you along.Until then its' your problem not mine.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
if we werent running garbage this could have been a half decent crowd but alas we suck and people in canberra are ultra fair weather.