What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red is saying that the reason that the crowds in Perth have dropped from 15k to about 7K over the last 2 years is because the locals that would normally go to the games have recognised that there is no new Perth NRL team on the horizon...apparently the two games themselves can't be enjoyed for what they are if they don't ulimitaley lead to the goal of Perth getting their own team in the near future...

If this is indeed the case ( I am dubious myself) , then it seems pointless to me to persevere with these games, particularly given the added expense involved in flying the teams over from the East or Auckland...
I think it's pointless to play games in front of 6,000 in Sydney despite it being the "RL capital" when they could be taken to places that don't normally get games. You either have 6,000 people who have probably been to every other game all year or you can have any number of new people who would otherwise never go to a game. It's pretty straight forward I'd say. It's growing the game versus not growing the game. The scary thing is we know which side the NRL is on in that one.

But to make this about Perth at all when the entire sport has woken up to the fact Sydney's crowds are appalling is clear deflection from the real issue. The reality is, the trolls on here are butt hurt over Perth Red so much that he now defines their attitude to Perth as an NRL venue. Just think how pathetic that is.

Raiderdave

First Grade
That's a decent crowd in Townsville. They're missing half their team and their season looks to be all but over. That plus it would have been all cowboys fans.

The Sydney crowd yet again is straight up pathetic. 2 Sydney teams facing and one of them is probably 2nd or 3rd favourite to win the comp. Sub 10K for that is just ugly.

its meh
the cows used to crack 20K when they were getting lapped in the day
that was an important game last night , in their preferd time slot in awesome conditions
& they can't get their average ??

its meh

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I think it's pointless to play games in front of 6,000 in Sydney despite it being the "RL capital" when they could be taken to places that don't normally get games. You either have 6,000 people who have probably been to every other game all year or you can have any number of new people who would otherwise never go to a game. It's pretty straight forward I'd say. It's growing the game versus not growing the game. The scary thing is we know which side the NRL is on in that one.

But to make this about Perth at all when the entire sport has woken up to the fact Sydney's crowds are appalling is clear deflection from the real issue. The reality is, the trolls on here are butt hurt over Perth Red so much that he now defines their attitude to Perth as an NRL venue. Just think how pathetic that is.

When growing the game is code for diluting it in Australias largest populated city then its clear the direction the game is heading is wrong. Inner city areas are now growing in population and we have people wanting to rid the presence of the game in Sydney? Genuine expansion in the form of additional clubs is the best and most sensible way to go. However we have spoilers within the game and making money from the game (news ltd etc) that push a negative agenda that can only reduce the state of rugby league in Australia. Apathy is part of the issue as well. As fans and administrators within the game are not willing and identifying the genuine threats and issues facing the very underrated sport of rugby league. The game of rugby league deserves better!

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach

Butt hurt or trying to highlight the inconsistencies in his agenda driven arguments?

I think what he is saying is ridiculous and a poor excuse for weather affected crowds...he won't admit to that though...

When growing the game is code for diluting it in Australias largest populated city then its clear the directiom the game is heading is wrong. Inner city areas are now growing in population and we have people wsnting to rid the presence of the game in Sydney? Genuine expansion in the firm of additional clubs is the best and most sensible wsy to go. However ee have spoilers within the game and making money from the gsme (news ltd etc) that push a negative agenda that can only reduce the state of rugby league in Australia. Apathy is part of the issue ss well. As fans within the game are not willing and identifying the genuine threats and issues facing the very underrated sport of rugby league.
Rid the presence of the game in Sydney? f**k off. They get three or four games most weeks - and no one shows up to most of them. Yeah we wouldn't want to "dilute" that. This attitude comes back to the fact Sydney people think they own the sport, even when they can't be f**ked supporting it.

Butt hurt or trying to highlight the inconsistencies in his agenda driven arguments?

I think what he is saying is ridiculous and a poor excuse for weather affected crowds...he won't admit to that though...
So like the rest, your entire approach to expansion of the game to Perth is based on what one bloke on the interweb you don't know types, sometimes?

No...I have been in favour of Perth expansion for some time..

I don't think it's necessary to tear down Sydney clubs to get there though...

Strong and visionary Management is all that's required.
So get over it. No shit he has an agenda. He's from Perth. He wants a Perth team. Good on him. There should be one. Comparing crowds in a city that has been dicked by the sport to the RL capital with nine clubs and multiple games each week is ridiculous. Sydney's crowds are a joke. Perth's crowds are practically irrelevant to the real issue.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Rid the presence of the game in Sydney? f**k off. They get three or four games most weeks - and no one shows up to most of them. Yeah we wouldn't want to "dilute" that. This attitude comes back to the fact Sydney people think they own the sport, even when they can't be f**ked supporting it.

are you suggesting we abandoned Sydney ?

insert.pause

First Grade
The game has no leadership & the tail is wagging the dog in Sydney. Honestly, for three years some Sydney clubs have been in open revolt against the NRL, undermining it both publicly and privately. Their crusade has probably received more back pages than the game on the field. And we all wonder why people have tuned out? Why the game has no strategic direction? The game can't afford to be consumed with fighting amongst itself.

BuffaloRules

Coach
So get over it. No shit he has an agenda. He's from Perth. He wants a Perth team. Good on him. There should be one. Comparing crowds in a city that has been dicked by the sport to the RL capital with nine clubs and multiple games each week is ridiculous. Sydney's crowds are a joke. Perth's crowds are practically irrelevant to the real issue.

The real issues are the ridiculous draw and the fact that for the price of a family pass to one game a month, you can watch every game you want live...

Perth Red

Post Whore
If what you are saying is true then do you support stopping these games?

What's the point if Perth has given up?

Should they still get the Origin game? .

1. Clubs are being paid to bring games here
2. Clubs that have committed are building their membership numbers from here
3. nrl has been paid $5mill to bring origin here
4. The game is myopic as is without abandoning any vestige of having ambitions to be relevant beyond the east coast of Australia.

Personally I'm as apathetic as the rest of the nrl fanbase at the moment. I used to be first in line to get tickets and drag friends and family along, now it depends if there is anything better on if I go or not. How many others feel the same as me is impossible to say but it clearly isnt just a Perth thing given the sht house crowds we've seen for the last few seasons across the game, especially in the heartland of Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth Red is saying that the reason that the crowds in Perth have dropped from 15k to about 7K over the last 2 years ..

Bit selective, we have had one crowd under 10k in 8 years of games. How many sub 10k crowds in Sydney this year?

20727 Souths v New Zealand Perth 06-Jun-2015
20267 Souths v New Zealand Perth 07-Jun-2014
20221 Souths v New Zealand Perth 07-Jul-2013
20095 Manly v New Zealand Subiaco 28-Jul-2012
15599 Souths v Brisbane Perth 23-Mar-2012
15371 Souths v Brisbane Perth 24-Jun-2011
15197 Souths v Melbourne Perth 13-Jun-2009
13293 Cronulla v New Zealand Perth 07-May-2005
13164 Souths v Melbourne Perth 26-Jun-2010
13142 Souths v Gold Coast Titans Perth 05-Jun-2016
12014 Canterbury v Melbourne Perth 29-Mar-2014
11433 Souths v Melbourne Perth 21-May-2017
11109 Manly v New Zealand Perth 16-Jul-2016
6258 Manly v New Zealand Perth 2017

Raiderdave

First Grade
a quick look here shows Sydney is without doubt the problem with the code atm
& pretty much , only Sydney
my opinion on where these sides are with crowds based on how they're performing in 2017 etc etc
but I don't think they'll be much argument

Brisbane .. okish to a little disappointing
Melbourne ... good
Cowboys .... see Brisbane
Canberra ... good
Newcastle ... very good
Warriors .... disappointing but understandable
Titans ... see Brisbane

Roosters .... outside of Anzace day , mostly disappointing
Sharks ... one good crowd all year , otherwise quite disappointing
Manly .... disappointing
Souths ..... very disappointing
Parramatta .... very disappointing
Bulldogs .... very disappointing
Tigers .... disappointing
Penrith .... pass mark for panthers having only been in the 8 for 1 week
Dragons ... couple of good efforts in the gong , otherwise very disappointing

bring all sydney sides up to the level of the non sydney sides & we have solved all our problems

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Read an article saying that fox sports show fake crowds. Like you see an empty stadium but when a team scores they show footage of an old game where the crowd was bigger. Is this true? Embarrassing if it is. They can fake crowd numbers. It looked like 4 tonight.
View attachment 14861
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...rs-caught-using-old-video-to-fake-nrl-crowds/

Good to know they are embarrassed by their work detroying crowds but f*ck em for taking the easy option instead of teying to, ya know, fix it...

Im gla they were called ou on this, no matter how embarrassing it os for the game.

Now the NRL need to find a stratagy to fix this f*ckup and not relent until Fox/9 agree

Diesel

Referee
If NRL can select 65 FTA games for ch9 next year why can't they choose 10-12 low drawing Sydney games (Titans/Warriors/NQ/Roosters etc) to play around NZ and Australia where no games are held?

big hit!

Bench
Great crowd at Newcastle today. Bottom of the table and little chance of winning but the fans still showed up in good numbers. That's with essentially no away fans as well.

all melbourne games SHOULD attract decent crowds. last few times we'll see the trio playing together outside of origin.

i was hoping to get to several melbourne matches in sydney towards the end of this season, but they weren't scheduled up here at all in the last 8 or so rounds.

Diesel

Referee
a quick look here shows Sydney is without doubt the problem with the code atm
& pretty much , only Sydney
my opinion on where these sides are with crowds based on how they're performing in 2017 etc etc
but I don't think they'll be much argument

Brisbane .. okish to a little disappointing
Melbourne ... good
Cowboys .... see Brisbane
Canberra ... good
Newcastle ... very good
Warriors .... disappointing but understandable
Titans ... see Brisbane

Roosters .... outside of Anzace day , mostly disappointing
Sharks ... one good crowd all year , otherwise quite disappointing
Manly .... disappointing
Souths ..... very disappointing
Parramatta .... very disappointing
Bulldogs .... very disappointing
Tigers .... disappointing
Penrith .... pass mark for panthers having only been in the 8 for 1 week
Dragons ... couple of good efforts in the gong , otherwise very disappointing

bring all sydney sides up to the level of the non sydney sides & we have solved all our problems
I think you're being slightly critical of Sharks (fair enough they are premiers), Parra (no home stadium) and maybe Panthers but otherwise 100%