What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You keep banging on about this rubbish article from yesterday comparing 1968 to now.

Does the comparison also allow for clubs like Newcastle, Broncos, Cowboys etc massively increasing average figures ?
Or was it a Sydney based comparison?
Well who actually knows what it was comparing?

The $121 figure for a family ticket was plainly wrong. The 1968 image was actually of 1986 and an Origin game.

By all means he can tell us why footy's shit, but at least make an effort to get it right?

big hit!

Bench
Why doesn't anybody check Rothfield's completely inaccurate rubbish before it gets printed?

cos he's the chief, isn't he?

you folks are getting riled by professional troller. it's what he and his employer is all about. it's called tabloid news.

yes, crowds are shit, but the sub organisation he works for have had their influence on making it so. monday night footy...6pm fridays....super saturdays...doesnt benefit many apart from fox and those that have fox.

T-Boon

Coach
one way to increase crowds is way more teams (i.e. Brisbane 2, Perth, Wellington, Adelaide, Christchurch, Melbourne 2) and games go 30 minutes longer (stop clock when ball is not in play, play in quarters etc)...but each team plays less games.

9 home games should be the maximum - making each a bigger deal.

Play an annual magic round in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or NZ with lots of advertisement.
More double headers with lots of advertisement.

Imagine getting trolled
By a 70 year old beetroot head

If it makes you feel any better a couple of mates have adjoining season seats to him at Shark Park. Vicious abuse is regularly hurled in his direction.

I also don't buy the "too expensive" line for regular club games.
My season ticket costs me $20 per game for a seat on the 30m line. I smuggle two beers into every game and eat pizza or a bbq at home before I leave. The Sharks regularly do family for $50 entry deals for G.A and there are no restrictions on bringing your own food in other than you cant bring cans of drink in and there is free face painting, jumping castles and rides for the kiddos. That's a pretty cheap night out.
The bigger issue is the timing. Doesnt matter how much free shit you chuck at the kids if kick off is at bedtime most are going to stay away.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
If it makes you feel any better a couple of mates have adjoining season seats to him at Shark Park. Vicious abuse is regularly hurled in his direction.

My season ticket costs me $20 per game for a seat on the 30m line. I smuggle two beers into every game and eat pizza or a bbq at home before I leave. The Sharks regularly do family for $50 entry deals for G.A and there are no restrictions on bringing your own food in other than you cant bring cans of drink in and there is free face painting, jumping castles and rides for the kiddos. That's a pretty cheap night out.
The bigger issue is the timing. Doesnt matter how much free shit you chuck at the kids if kick off is at bedtime most are going to stay away.

To add to this, Roosters have been giving away free tickets for the last 2 games and we've pulled 2 of our worst crowds of the season.

There are some cases of extortionate prices (specifically charging $60 for premium seats when you can't even sell enough GAs) but the family passes tend to be good value.

There are bigger issues than price though and you can put scheduling as #1

adamkungl

Immortal
Greenberg doing Q&As on twitter. Will reply to any easy questions or outright stupid questions but this one went through to the keeper...

upload_2017-8-9_13-7-57-png.14717

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-9_13-7-57.png
    upload_2017-8-9_13-7-57.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 126

Raiderdave

First Grade
Souths V Bulldogs 12000
Parramatta V Newcastle 12000
Brisbane V Sharks 32000
Dragons V Titans 8000
Melbourne V Roosters 20000
Penrith V Cowboys 15000
Warriors V Raiders 8000
Tigers V Manly 15000

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Greenberg doing Q&As on twitter. Will reply to any easy questions or outright stupid questions but this one went through to the keeper...

upload_2017-8-9_13-7-57-png.14717
Good call..

I honestly don't think the nrl made 1 pro crowd decision in past 5 years

Memberships they actually had a crack and went pretty close .
But crowds and scheduling got so much less fan friendly

mongoose

Coach
Avg in 1968 was 12,800 compared to around 14.5k for Sydney clubs now. What is the population difference of Sydney between 1968 and now? I suspect significantly more as a % than crowd growth. Add in size and state of grounds back in 1968 and its hard to say much has improved.

that's a bit of a simplistic analysis though. How many more activities and events compete for peoples attention these days? how much busier are our lives? how much worse is traffic these days in Sydney? A large proportion of that population growth has come from immigration from asia, middle east and other regions who wouldn't have grown up with League.

Teddyboy

First Grade

You shouldn't need to smuggle drink and food in if only they give value for money in hospitality.

Teddyboy

First Grade
that's a bit of a simplistic analysis though. How many more activities and events compete for peoples attention these days? how much busier are our lives? how much worse is traffic these days in Sydney? A large proportion of that population growth has come from immigration from asia, middle east and other regions who wouldn't have grown up with League.
Thats the problem people will hark on about the benefit's of immigration yet it can have a negative influence on western traditional society.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think the basic point is there are large tracts of Sydney who haven't been exposed to RL in the past given where the migrated from, and largely have no interest.

Could be wrong but I don't feel the NRL or any other code has made any meaningful journey into those communities either.