What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Captain

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

If you want to lay on the captains shoulders that they take control of the tight games, why are people advocating guys like thommo and graham? Why not hunt?

I think taking control of the game is the halves job, regardless of whether they are captain or not.
Got it but one of the halves don't necessarily have to be the captain.
They can still win the you game with a good tactical kicking game.
The best example is Melbourne.
Cronk is a superb game manager and closes games out but Smith is the inspirational leader on the field that the team will walk over hot coals for.
I reckon Widdop would be more effective if he wasn't the captain.
Whatever we had this year and last obviously didn't work right?

SBD82

Coach
Got it but one of the halves don't necessarily have to be the captain.
They can still win the you game with a good tactical kicking game.
The best example is Melbourne.
Cronk is a superb game manager and closes games out but Smith is the inspirational leader on the field that the team will walk over hot coals for.
I reckon Widdop would be more effective if he wasn't the captain.
Whatever we had this year and last obviously didn't work right?
I think we are in agreement here Dennis, but my original post wasn't very clear.

I think we need to separate the idea of captain and game manager. They can go together but they shouldn't have to.

I expect hunt to be our attacking game manager next year. That job should fall on the 7, and to a lesser degree the 9 and 6.

I expect Friz and thommo to lead our edges in defence. And JDB and graham to lead the middle.

The remaining thing for me is to work out who best to talk to the refs. I don't think Widdop has been good at this, but I don't think there is another outstanding option. If people have suggestions I'd be curious about what people think. Since they tightened the rules about who can talk to the refs, I think this is a super important role.

possm

Coach
Soward could manage a game through his long and short kicking game and his long passes however, Hornby called the shots and kept on pushing for his team to follow the game plan. I don't think Hornby was our best captain but he was the best player for that role at the time. Widdop is an absolutely useless captain, I don't think Hunt would be much better and really can't see any other player other than Graham who could handle the job.

sammythesaint

Juniors
Soward could manage a game through his long and short kicking game and his long passes however, Hornby called the shots and kept on pushing for his team to follow the game plan. I don't think Hornby was our best captain but he was the best player for that role at the time. Widdop is an absolutely useless captain, I don't think Hunt would be much better and really can't see any other player other than Graham who could handle the job.
Possum....you make a lot of sense.
Better be careful of the forum and some members undying love for the number 6.
Not supposed to say anything critical od Wi....pp.
But every other player and coach is open slather.
Lol

SBD82

Coach
Possum....you make a lot of sense.
Better be careful of the forum and some members undying love for the number 6.
Not supposed to say anything critical od Wi....pp.
But every other player and coach is open slather.
Lol
See how other forum members say bad shit about Widdop and are engaged in discussion by people who disagree, but no one talks to you about him?

It's because you are too dumb to argue with.

And then you type passive agressive posts like this. As if to further prove the point. We get it....

Your name is vas, and you are a dumbmerkin.

sammythesaint

Juniors
See how other forum members say bad shit about Widdop and are engaged in discussion by people who disagree, but no one talks to you about him?

It's because you are too dumb to argue with.

And then you type passive agressive posts like this. As if to further prove the point. We get it....

Your name is vas, and you are a dumbmerkin.

And you dumb asses have got hundreds of pages on sack mary..... ..OK WE GET IT!!

YOU CAN STOP NOW.....FFS

If mary goes, widdop should also go, they are partners in crime.

The truth is 70 per cent of supporters agree widdop should not be captain, and that his form dick dived once he got his contract extension.

People who say its time widdop lost the captaincy talk to each other....but not to you.

Thanks for talking to me about widdop....lol

SBD82

Coach
And you dumb asses have got hundreds of pages on sack mary..... ..OK WE GET IT!!

YOU CAN STOP NOW.....FFS

The truth is 70 per cent of supporters agree widdop should not be captain, and that his form dick dived once he got his contract extension.

People who say its time widdop lost the captaincy talk to each other....but not to you.

You really were more coherent when you were vasilevsky. Despite being a sister f**ker he really was leagues ahead of you.

What happened? Did the anti-psychotics dull your senses?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We need a leader who is demanding, communicates, runs hard, plays hard, and doesnt put up with weak player performances.....nor referrees who are shite on the day.
A captain who inspires....a leader who others will follow out of the trenches ....and into the battle.

And a man who is confident to damn well tell Mary straigh to the point to use the bench properly!

Options are very few......one only in my humble opinion

In reality, there are quite a few leaders at the Dragons, who are more than adequate of fulfilling the captaincy.

These include: Nightingale, Widdop, JDB, Frizell, and of course, Graham.

Personally, I don't see an issue with the current skipper, although as he hasn't been the same player as at the Storm due to poor coaching, relieving him of the associated pressure might be a good thing.

Old Timer

Coach
We have Lafai
We now have Graham and some insist as Captain
Some want B Moz some want the two
Some want Lichaa
Some wanted Hoppa
Plenty want Des
Maybe we should have merged with those f**ka's?
Honestly imagine if all of that happened what a nightmare.

sammythesaint

Juniors
In reality, there are quite a few leaders at the Dragons, who are more than adequate of fulfilling the captaincy.

These include: Nightingale, Widdop, JDB, Frizell, and of course, Graham.

Personally, I don't see an issue with the current skipper, although as he hasn't been the same player as at the Storm due to poor coaching, relieving him of the associated pressure might be a good thing.
Funny how JT has had some shit coaches but has always been number one. Funny how Fittler had some really bad coaches but always performed. Funny how mary is crap and widdop is too.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Funny how JT has had some shit coaches but has always been number one. Funny how Fittler had some really bad coaches but always performed. Funny how mary is crap and widdop is too.

Funny how both JT and Fittler had the luxury of good halves partners to relieve pressure.

It is a team game after all.

possm

Coach

YOU CAN STOP NOW.....FFS

You know if Mary goes without an experienced coach like Hasler, Mage, Henry etc. being named, we will get Dean Young as our head coach.

You know if Mary goes without an experienced coach like Hasler, Mage, Henry etc. being named, we will get Dean Young as our head coach.
If they can justify McGregor's appointment and extension, they are capable of appointing any unqualified space filler as coach - even Dean Young.

Latest posts