What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

supercharger

Juniors
Y
yeah you are
& ive shown you

your inference was clear despite you being proven you know nothing

the NRL isn't a billion dollar sport

LOL
just LOL
First of all you've shown nothing
Secondly, I was wrong regarding revenue, said it already.
Thirdly, why the hell do you format your posts like that? What's with all the gaps?

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Just my two cents on regional venues, don’t shoot me down but I like the idea.... it looks great and gives back to these areas. However I believe we need to be more strategic with these games.

No venues under 10k capacity for one.

Use the unfriendly time slots for some of these games or play them in the middle of the year when the origin lull kicks in.

I think the Tamworth venue was perfect for the tigers to host knights wouldn’t usually get too much more in Sydney (tigers good form aside). But this should have been in the middle of the year.

Regionals are fine but we need some standards

franklin2323

Immortal
The Panthers get $300k for hosting a game in Bathurst. It is up to the council to get that money back. I dare say Gladstone and Tamworth have similar arrangements. Bathurst game holds 8k yet they have re-signed the agreement. The benefits are huge for the towns

ReddFelon

Juniors
The Panthers get $300k for hosting a game in Bathurst. It is up to the council to get that money back. I dare say Gladstone and Tamworth have similar arrangements. Bathurst game holds 8k yet they have re-signed the agreement. The benefits are huge for the towns

The benefits are also huge for the sport, neglecting regional populations is what has allowed the AFL to infiltrate regions like Central Queensland. The professional level can't ignore the grassroots fans and then act surprised when the kids on Rockhampton start playing other sports.

franklin2323

Immortal
The benefits are also huge for the sport, neglecting regional populations is what has allowed the AFL to infiltrate regions like Central Queensland. The professional level can't ignore the grassroots fans and then act surprised when the kids on Rockhampton start playing other sports.

The games that are moved are usually lower drawing games anyway

Perth Red

Post Whore
We aren't a billion dollar sport. We have a big to contract but the yearly revenue would be what $400 million?
We might get to 20k average but I don't see it and don't particularly care if we do.
I don't agree re throwing in the towel. It's not as if we're playing all games at such small venues. Like attendance, membership is up to the clubs. I don't see the point in getting into a dick measuring contest with other sports.

re not caring about afl, it’s a foolish business that doesn’t try to be better than its competitors. Afl is the main competition for us. We are battling for money, sponsors, fans and jnr players. Of course it matters! We wont get to their heights because we arent that good (not on the field,our “product” is far superior) but they year after year surpass our off field management, strategic vision and ability to grow.

But yeh 10k in some park in a country town is fine, sheesh.

Last edited:

supercharger

Juniors
Nrl is tipped to reach a $500mill plus revenue this year plus the revenue the clubs earn, we are close if not already, to being a $billion sport!

And re not caring about afl, it’s a foolish business that doesn’t try to be better than its competitors. Afl is the main competition forus. We are ballting for money, fans and jnr players. Of course it matters! We wo t get to their heights because we arent that good (not on the field,our “product” is far superior) but they year after year surpass our off field management, strategic vision and ability to grow.

yeah I was wrong about the revenue. My bad.
True, you only improve by comparing yourself to competitors but people constantly being negative f**knuckles isn't doing anything and is tiresome
Again we lost nothing as a sport by having a game played in a country town. There are only positives.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Wait the clubs bring in $600 million and I'm clueless?
Happy to be wrong and apologise if the game generates a billion a year but don't see why we shouldn't play games in country towns

The bulldogs and Panthers alone bring in 250million. The governing body brings in about 550million a year. Rugby league easily brings in 1billion annually.

Canard

Immortal
True, you only improve by comparing yourself to competitors but people constantly being negative f**knuckles isn't doing anything and is tiresome
Again we lost nothing as a sport by having a game played in a country town. There are only positives.

Aren't you a Canadian whose main sport is the CFL?? or was that just a bit of bullshit?

Vee

First Grade
12885 in Townsville, Cowboys reaping what they sow with their form, should improve if they do.

re not caring about afl, it’s a foolish business that doesn’t try to be better than its competitors. Afl is the main competition for us. We are battling for money, sponsors, fans and jnr players. Of course it matters! We wont get to their heights because we arent that good (not on the field,our “product” is far superior) but they year after year surpass our off field management, strategic vision and ability to grow.

Bitch bitch
Whinge whinge f**king whinge .

Here's some info for ya

Our game has always had huge regional support/players /interest etc .
Yet you want to ignore that .
You are f**king clueless
You want to worry about the big end of town while ignoring the regional nurseries .
You can look after both .
& a few regional games a year to give these RL regions a chance to see their NRL team play is invaluable for those regions .....RL ... & future fans or players .
CLubs also do well financially from these games .

Ignore grassroots & RL slowly whithers .

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Be better, but not by employing the same methods of ridiculous participation numbers and sweeping problems under the carpet.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I'll continue to call people who insist we should be satisfied with a.... look
that 10K in a small venue is just splendid
yes there was no real harm yesterday & it was a useful exercise in building goodwill , same for all of the regional games played so far this year
but it is NOT better then bigger crowds in cavernous stadiums.
We need to increase the size of the crowds in these cavernous venues & that is the future & no amount of

oh wow , doesn't it look great will change that.

DIOGENES

Juniors
it is a long way better
It adds to the experience of watching the game on TV.
Unlike the Swans which go close to parity our foxtel audiences outnumber the crowd by 20:1. Adding to the experience of the viewers is important

I do agree that adding to the number of poor penitents who inflict ANZ on themselves is the prime goal but in the interim I will take the look and the support of regional RL

franklin2323

Immortal
Clubs are paid $100k to play at ANZ. Even a good crowd of 30k leaves 50k empty seats or clubs get $300k to play in packed little regional venues..No brainer really.

Playing in Bathurst for us has grown to now having 3 academies out central West. Not only funding Western Division but putting teams in the country comp themselves with the aim to start a 2nd tier team out there.

So in the grand scheme of things crowds are irrelevant

Perth Red

Post Whore

Generally I don’t think people are overly negative, just dissapointed a lot of the time. For me the bar is 15k with where the game is at. Anything over great, anything less meh. Of course there will always be numerous factors that can create one off good of bad crowds but that’s why we look at avg’s to get a sense of trends.

Just be nice to see some sustained growth, the reality is crowds haven’t really moved for over a decade. Given the money in the game and the growing population that isn’t good enough and a poor reflection on the sport imo.

Latest posts