What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

big hit!

Bench
Storm crowds are even bigger when there is an AFL blockbuster on at the MCG during the day and the storm play straight after that night. Tons of people wonder from the AFL game over to the NRL game. When I've attended Saturday night games at Ammi Park all the pubs in the area like Swan st etc are full with AFL and NRL fans...it´s a great area and full of atmosphere. If the NRL had a clue they would factor this in more...but that would require thinking.

AFL and the storm co-exist well down there.

in sydney, the leaguies get their knickers in a knot, call it AFL...deride the swans as much as they can....talk about TV numbers.

they're both f**king sports where grown up men are running around carrying and chasing balls FFS

El Diablo

Post Whore
I question if he even likes Rugby League considering he never has anything positive to say about it
he has never posted in the Parra forum or a game day topic

he only ever posts in this topic mainly

he also didn't even know the Parra colours were Blue and Gold lol

big hit!

Bench
and it's got to be asked again....which idiot at the NRL thought it was a good idea to schedule matches at 6pm on a friday night?

Frailty

First Grade
and it's got to be asked again....which idiot at the NRL thought it was a good idea to schedule matches at 6pm on a friday night?

I'm not entirely sure. They sold it as people could go to the ground straight from work, or they could include the game in post-work drinks at the pub, or for families to sit down and eat dinner watching the game together.

But I don't see where the money actually comes in except for maybe advertising? Foxtel won't get more subscriptions from it, the grounds are too far away from most work places, and 6pm most families are still getting home and getting dinner ready.

greenBV4

Bench
and it's got to be asked again....which idiot at the NRL thought it was a good idea to schedule matches at 6pm on a friday night? At Brookvale... Against the Titans!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm not entirely sure. They sold it as people could go to the ground straight from work, or they could include the game in post-work drinks at the pub, or for families to sit down and eat dinner watching the game together.

But I don't see where the money actually comes in except for maybe advertising? Foxtel won't get more subscriptions from it, the grounds are too far away from most work places, and 6pm most families are still getting home and getting dinner ready

Yeh, my assumption was that they wanted a lead in to the 7.30 game people with a subscription would stay there instead of going to 9.

Seems like a massive waste of a game if that it the WHOLE purpose, but FOX wouldnt lose out from it. Sure, fans lose and the NRL loses, but why should Fox care?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh, my assumption was that they wanted a lead in to the 7.30 game people with a subscription would stay there instead of going to 9.

Seems like a massive waste of a game if that it the WHOLE purpose, but FOX wouldnt lose out from it. Sure, fans lose and the NRL loses, but why should Fox care?

That’s nuts, no-one with Fox is watching the 7:30 game on Ch9. Why would you? Sadly the viewing figures are pretty good so we won’t see any change for 5 years despite the disaster on crowds. Clubs and nrl have got their fox money so they won’t care.

Frailty

First Grade
In a very light on strat plan released by the nrl there is a target in it of:
“ Support NRL clubs in developing increased and exciting game day experiences for fans”. This is the only strat goal relating to crowds. No ambitious target for crowd avg increases for this mob lol.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/nrl-strategic-plan-2018-2022.pdf

To be fair that looks like a summary document. Most of the 'measurement' don't actually include any measures at all. I'd hope that more detailed documents within the organisation include measurable targets - though, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.