What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

sempmrh

Juniors
Imagine if a new NRL logo followed a similar style.

I have a few questions but since I know you're someone in the know, please don't feel obligated to answer. I totally get that you might want to be purposely vague. Can you say whether or not the new logo will have the full Telstra Premiership branding on jerseys in 2019 or will there be another "in-between" year like in 2013? Will the new NRL branding be fairly minimalistic like the All-Stars logo suggests? Will the Kangaroos and Origin teams follow this new branding? Any chance the logo on jerseys will match club colours like the recent A-League redesign?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
New All Stars logo

DlALnvjVsAAqw2p.jpg

I think its a brilliant logo for the concept. Minimalist in image and colour which means it will be easily transferable if they want to expand the All Stars concept to more teams.

Hopefully they put it against black for it really stands out. If they just leave it as white on whatever the jumper colour is, it will be lost against light coloured jumpers.

Im not sure if id what this to be used across the whole comp in place of the current ARLC branding. Id have to digest that a bit more...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Can't see a rebrand happening so soon tbh.

Yeh, i think its more likely the ARLC will maintain their current logo and the comps will look at a more distinct branding.

All Stars needed it. Origin might benefit too from something a bit more recognisable. Kangaroos and the State teems too, I think

Hopefully (if im right) they all follow this minimalist style and get away from the loonytoon shit we have been getting since the 90s.

Lucev23

Juniors
I have a few questions but since I know you're someone in the know, please don't feel obligated to answer. I totally get that you might want to be purposely vague. Can you say whether or not the new logo will have the full Telstra Premiership branding on jerseys in 2019 or will there be another "in-between" year like in 2013? Will the new NRL branding be fairly minimalistic like the All-Stars logo suggests? Will the Kangaroos and Origin teams follow this new branding? Any chance the logo on jerseys will match club colours like the recent A-League redesign?
I think you've got some extremely good ideas.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
But silly calling the match nrl all stars tho, when there was a team called that...

Nah, i understand it...

"All Star" has 10years of brand recognision, so i understand why they kept that.

So with that in place, it was always either gonna be:
- "NRL All Stars"
- "Rugby League All Stars"

And given the concept is an ARLC indicative (correct me if im wrong about that) and it really takes off, I understand why the ARLC would want their IP to become famous with it (Latin Heat and Africa United may be excluded from Internationals, but they might fit in well here. If those teams become part of the concept and locals see them, "NRL" is the brand that they will see)

thorson1987

Coach
How good is this concept...I never had any interest in the All Stars matches but this is so much better than having an NRL All Stars. This actually makes sense. From memory the last time we had an Indigenous team play a Maori team was in the centenary year. This has the potential to be huge. Nice logo too.

2008 RLWC exhibition game.

Saint Doc

Coach
Pretty sure Beattie mentioned it in a tweet, or interview about logo changes but was very vague
Yep Beattie has just been working his way through the memos that were in the “in-tray” on his desk.

He’s smashed through the late 60’s and is well up to speed on who the Cronulla Sharks are.

But he’s very excited about plans to change this logo. Could be a real game changer. Stay tuned tweeps

orOOJ6XXNeFbNqOPrhcs6-KG8D2YHZsZkpydah9Nea4fT2i3hS_QnsVu6YqhKDB6etSGg07jaSt-lh936d9Y3VT3ukeicQYJhNCZV-0gi9TA7VL_MzURhnj4jXfHMd8hVlsd6zYC_V8vjQTzhrSFvDPCOx2vbhXmf4d2vBkKzcaFWvw4CjRn1IyGzsI0M6-4UHjgH9ncYINtgWEBA9bW7Zc=w150-h181-nc

GAZF

First Grade
If the NRL rebranding is true, it may be a semi-kneejerk reaction to the branding approach of the AFLW and (to a lesser extent) the A-League. The UK Premier League has also gone with this approach as well.

Each of these leagues has gone with relatively flat aesthetics that are flexible with colour schemes, which allows for a wider range of applications and the added bonus of better legibility in small formats (i.e. mobile devices). Fox League has been doing something similar for a while now and their graphics package is better for it.

This approach also allows for easier extension of the brand, such as with the Women's and All-Stars logos, where green/gold may not be the best way of standing out from the primary product (NRL). Additional iconography like the All-Stars "star A" and the WNRL "W double V" allows for further distinction as well.

From an outsider's perspective it looks like the NRL wants to be the first major football code with a full brand of this nature by beating the AFL to the punch (sort of).

If this rebrand is to extend to all NRL logos, I'd prefer to see the NRL wordmark stay as-is (even though it could be better) and a downplay of certain elements like the southern cross and a restriction of the double V to the NRL comp, the state leagues, and the Kangaroos so that it isn't overly repetitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.