What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Premiership Betting. Dragons tipped for 5th last. What's your Top 8.

grouch

First Grade
I think we played a pretty decent style of footy last year we just struggled on 5th tackle options and poor decision-making. Hunt will help with that. How many games did we JUST lose because of McCrone factor? I think the halves are very important. The most important thing, along with forwards winning the battle.
I don't think that the coach is as important as some others. Perfect example is Ricky Stuart. 2 years ago his team was flying and he won Dally M coach of the year. Last year they failed because they lost their depth players and that hurt them. Coach didn't change anything yet the change in roster made the difference.
Madge won a comp because the Burgess boys, Inglis were firing. Once they dropped off Madge couldn't get them winning and was sacked.
Flanno won a comp because of Ennis and Barba(along with plenty of others) but last year they weren't the same without those 2 players.
My point is, the players are more important than the coach. Yes the coach is important for building long term but even an average coach can win a comp if the players are there.
Bennett couldn't succeed at Knights because he didn't have the roster and I bet even the great Bellamy may struggle without the BIG 3.
You spinning this bullshit again. Anything to take some heat off your boy McGregor.

I bet Paul Green would laugh just as hard at this crap as I am

BrissyRedV

Bench
Yes the coach is important for building long term but even an average coach can win a comp if the players are there.
We don't even have an average coach though.
I don't think that the coach is as important as some others.
A coach is hugely important. There is a reason teams like Broncos, Storm and Roosters are perennial finals contenders. They can adapt game plans and styles to suit their team and the opposition. They recruit the best, develop juniors well and attract talent. If you cannot get a Bellamy or a Bennett to coach, you should at least be looking for the next prodigy coaching talent like NQ have done with Green, Roosters with Robinson etc. Instead, we continue to lag and hold onto an unproven, inexperienced head coach because he is an 'old boy'.

Old Timer

Coach
It will be interesting to see how we go with a proper half. I always thought that Mary was doomed for failure by having Benji and McCrone as halves. But maybe he is just useless?
Time will tell.
Lets hope we go deep and he is flying next year!
Time will tell FFS the bell has already well and truly tolled for Mc Fookknuckle
The only thing time will tell us is that we waisted plenty of it with a dud.

Crush

Coach
After 6 seasons of mediocrity, if you're not bitter, you're not paying attention
I'm actually not bitter at all. I get upset when we lose massively but always look for the positives once Ive gotten over the disappointment of the loss.
Last year was disappointing but next year is a new year.

Crush

Coach
We don't even have an average coach though.

A coach is hugely important. There is a reason teams like Broncos, Storm and Roosters are perennial finals contenders. They can adapt game plans and styles to suit their team and the opposition. They recruit the best, develop juniors well and attract talent. If you cannot get a Bellamy or a Bennett to coach, you should at least be looking for the next prodigy coaching talent like NQ have done with Green, Roosters with Robinson etc. Instead, we continue to lag and hold onto an unproven, inexperienced head coach because he is an 'old boy'.
Brissy, so going back to my original post, what do you attribute Ricky Stuart going from Dally M coach of year to missing 8 and Madge going from comp winner to being sacked in a couple of years?
Are these guys good coaches?

grouch

First Grade
I'm actually not bitter at all. I get upset when we lose massively but always look for the positives once Ive gotten over the disappointment of the loss.
Last year was disappointing but next year is a new year.
The TL;DR version: "I accept mediocrity"

Crush

Coach
You have a hand up the arse puppet and a grumpy old prick.
Grouch is the classic depressed loser. When the dragons are losing games he is actively posting on the forum spewing out criticism yet when the dragons are winning he is silent, nowhere to be seen. Misery loves negativity.
If the Dragons went on to win the comp he'd just disappear off the forum.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Brissy, so going back to my original post, what do you attribute Ricky Stuart going from Dally M coach of year to missing 8 and Madge going from comp winner to being sacked in a couple of years?
Are these guys good coaches?
To answer your original post, they are decent coaches and they have runs on the board to suggest this. Both are premiership winning coaches although things may have slipped by for them. What is most telling though, is how their clubs have held them accountable over the years. Madge is now unemployed and Ricky has been booted before. If the Raiders fail next year, you can be sure the Raiders will hold him accountable. Mary on the other hand, has no runs on the board, served no apprenticeship worth mentioning and has failed to show he is up to coaching a first grade side and has thus far, not been held accountable by management.

But in the big scheme, I couldn't care less what they have achieved and where their teams finished. What matters is what our club does and where we finish. So far, we have one finals game in six whole years after scrapping in at 8th position. The acceptance of these poor results by the club management is disgusting and the retention of such a poor coach demonstrates this acceptance.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Grouch is the classic depressed loser. When the dragons are losing games he is actively posting on the forum spewing out criticism yet when the dragons are winning he is silent, nowhere to be seen. Misery loves negativity.
If the Dragons went on to win the comp he'd just disappear off the forum.
Well he won’t be disappearing anytime soon will he.
You and your like have no desire for real success and are just happy to keep picking up crumbs
You should run for a board or coaching position as you admirably fit the current criteria.

Crush

Coach
Well he won’t be disappearing anytime soon will he.
You and your like have no desire for real success and are just happy to keep picking up crumbs
You should run for a board or coaching position as you admirably fit the current criteria.
"You and your like"
Listen to yourself mate! Who do you think you are?
Honestly get off your high horse.
Teling me I have no desire for success.
You are like a schoolyard bully sometimes OT. Pull your head in!

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Top 6.
With Hunt and Graham coming I'm very optimistic about 2018. Our forwards are very strong particularly with Graham's leadership. I think Widdop will be much improved with Hunt taking control. Hunt also has a fine kicking game which let us down badly in 2017. Where we were weak in 2017 was our outside backs lack of speed and McGregor's coaching.

Old Timer

Coach
"You and your like"
Listen to yourself mate! Who do you think you are?
Honestly get off your high horse.
Teling me I have no desire for success.
You are like a schoolyard bully sometimes OT. Pull your head in!
Have a look at your post about Grouch you wanker before you accuse me of bullying or getting on my high horse
You want to dish it out and make nasty assertions about others but want to be immune from any counter attack