What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R2 Thu - Sharks 16-20 Dragons @ SC Group

Round 2: Sharks v Dragons

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carcharias

Immortal
Not really, he's become a lot worse since then. It's amazing how one premiership can make him forget that the Sharks weren't always any good.
I reckon he has actually mellowed heaps
He gets paid for an opinion ...which he gives honestly.
Would you prefer he lie and just make everything soft and cosy??

He is the first bloke to win a title for the sharks
He captained the blues to its only win in a decade against probably the greatest footy team ever assembled.
Won world cups
Been playing first grade for about 17 years in the forwards
Has a side gig as an in undefeated boxer

f**k me
It’s not like the bloke hasn’t earned the right to be a little bit arrogant.

Noname36

First Grade
I reckon he has actually mellowed heaps
He gets paid for an opinion ...which he gives honestly.
Would you prefer he lie and just make everything soft and cosy??

He is the first bloke to win a title for the sharks
He captained the blues to its only win in a decade against probably the greatest footy team ever assembled.
Won world cups
Been playing first grade for about 17 years in the forwards
Has a side gig as an in undefeated boxer

f**k me
It’s not like the bloke hasn’t earned the right to be a little bit arrogant.

You can have confidence in yourself and your own achievements without needing to make negative comments about the quality of other NRL players (which is something he does on the regular, even when not asked).

Anyway it's useless arguing this with a Shark's supporter so let's just agree to disagree on him.

carcharias

Immortal
You can have confidence in yourself and your own achievements without needing to make negative comments about the quality of other NRL players (which is something he does on the regular, even when not asked).

Anyway it's useless arguing this with a Shark's supporter so let's just agree to disagree on him.
What player did he say something about?

Noname36

First Grade
What player did he say something about?

I never said he mentioned a specific player, but he talks of entire squads being of poor quality which is being negative about players at said club. It's not the place of a current NRL player to say things like that and I find it funny he does when the Sharks were on the bottom for so long. I don't care what he's achieved - and funnily enough you never hear of players that are better than him that have achieved a lot more (Smith, Slater, etc.) ever talking like that.

carcharias

Immortal
I never said he mentioned a specific player, but he talks of entire squads being of poor quality which is being negative about players at said club. It's not the place of a current NRL player to say things like that and I find it funny he does when the Sharks were on the bottom for so long. I don't care what he's achieved - and funnily enough you never hear of players that are better than him that have achieved a lot more (Smith, Slater, etc.) ever talking like that.

Ok
What team did he say stuff about without being asked?

Noname36

First Grade
Ok
What team did he say stuff about without being asked?

For starters, Tigers, Warriors, Knights and Titans on Monday night. The commentators were all saying it was great that the bottom four teams from last year won in round one but of course Gallen goes out of his way to say that those results shouldn't be read in to because "the quality will always rise to the top" and that those teams won't be making the finals - again, not something you say as a current NRL player.

His his low blows at the Knights when Pearce signed for them is another recent one - so much so that their coach who is usually pretty placid felt the need to defend his players - to which Gallen responded to with:

"Talking of clubs going nowhere, maybe three straight wooden spoons indicate that Newcastle are the ones treading water.

"Luckily for Brown, the only way is up from the bottom rung."

Classy bloke.

Yes the Knights had/have a poor/inexperienced squad but you don't swipe them in the media, say they're not going to win anything, etc.

Seriously every time he writes a piece or talks on television there is another one. Go have a look without your "I heart Gal" glasses on.

He's a dick.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member

I agree.
A lot of the time niggly on field players tend to be quite mild/diplomatic off the field (Maloney, Ennis, Hodges etc).
Gallen seems to be even worse off the field.

Noname36

First Grade
I agree.
A lot of the time niggly on field players tend to be quite mild/diplomatic off the field (Maloney, Ennis, Hodges etc).
Gallen seems to be even worse off the field.

Exactly. Players niggling on the field has been a part of every sport from the beginning, 99.999% of the time it's a tactic to get under their skin on the field.

No other player does it off the field though. That is completely different because it's not done in the context of a game. It's rude and not done within the spirit of the game.

carcharias

Immortal
So he was commentating?

I didn’t see it myself.

So like I said before- you’d prefer he lie?

Scintillating TV

Will it be ok if he has opinion when on a footy tv show, when talking about footy... once he has retired?

It’s not like he is accusing blokes of trying to injure players ey?

Noname36

First Grade
So he was commentating?

I didn’t see it myself.

So like I said before- you’d prefer he lie?

Scintillating TV

Will it be ok if he has opinion on when on footy tv show, when talking about footy... once he has retired?

It’s not like he is accusing blokes of trying to injure players ey?

You've completely missed the point.

Also he wasn't commentating nor was he specifically asked - he went out of his way to make his comments.

And it's funny how even retired commentators have enough tact to be able to point out issues in a squad without just being a dick about it like Gallen.

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll stay relevant after retirement - Fox will probably be happy to employ him as some kind of shock jock/Hadley/Kyle Sandilands figure but that doesn't mean I have to like how he handles himself, especially as a current NRL player. It's worse that he's been the Blues captain too.

Anyway like I said I'm sick of arguing about him and you'll obviously see it differently so let's agree to disagree.

carcharias

Immortal

Also he wasn't commentating nor was he specifically asked - he went out of his way to make his comments.

And it's funny how even retired commentators have enough tact to be able to point out issues in a squad without just being a dick about it like Gallen.

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll stay relevant after retirement - Fox will probably be happy to employ him as some kind of shock jock/Hadley/Kyle Sandilands figure but that doesn't mean I have to like how he handles himself, especially as a current NRL player. It's worse that he's been the Blues captain too.

Anyway like I said I'm sick of arguing about him and you'll obviously see it differently so let's agree to disagree.

He wasn’t commentating?

However, he was on a footy tv show where footy players are talking about footy and the footy teams that play footy?

...and he gave his opinion on the chances of those teams?

Bit precious there mate.

Ey did he accuse any teams I deliberately trying to injure star players... when he was not even on a tv show?

SBD82

Coach

I hope he continues to make a dick of himself in the media. It takes the focus off the fact that he is now a very old, very ordinary middle player. Judging from his start to this season, he offers very little to the sharks, but I'd like to see them sign him for another three years.

Latest posts