2018 Squad - Top 4?

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by AzzaRedV, Sep 8, 2017.

1. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

I agree that we are a long way behind them, but the way the roosters and the broncos played last night is nothing to aspire to.

It's a very weak comp this year, and neither of those two teams would have come close to the broncos of 2015 or the roosters of 2013. Imagine if either of those teams played Melbourne last night.

Which makes it even more damning that we are nowhere near the roosters or broncos this year.

2. j0nesy

j0nesy Bench

Yeah, I think you're right. Herbert couldn't be too far off either. Marsters and Lomax might be a year or two off. My team would be:
    Dufty
    Johns
    Aitken
    Lafai
    Garrick
    Widdop
    Hunt
    Graham
    McInness
    Vaughan
    Friz
    Thompson
    JDB

Ah Mau
    Simms
    Host
    Field

Sorry, no room for Mann. Good player, I just think we've got too many good juniors coming through.

3. Crush

Crush Juniors

Defensively they were terrible but in attack both teams are lethal compared to "dragons footy".
    Dragons defensively are top 4 but we lack X-factor in attack. All the top teams have it. Storm have loads of it, Roosters and Broncos have it, Parra have it in Radradra.
    I wonder what the game plan will be next year with Hunt coming?

Drakon likes this.
  4. Crush

Crush Juniors

ALSGI, I see your point regarding Nightingale but I think he is an easy target because of his age. Its true, he needs to go and it is clear that he isn't fast enough to be a damaging winger anymore. BUT I am more disappointed with Lafai, Dugan, Milne, Mann, Macdonald. Why are or were these guys in the team? Look at the mistakes they made this season. Constantly dropping the pill, running sideways, getting dragged into touch. None of them are fast and all lack the consistency needed to compete at a high level. Did all of them have their good moments? Yes they did, all of them had some great games but mostly they were poor. And sometimes piss poor!
    Yes I know nightingale has to retire but these other clowns need to be replaced with talent in the backs such as the storm, broncos, roosters, parra all have in spades!

Dragon Blood likes this.
  5. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

I think of all our juniors in the backs, Lomax shows the most promise. Garrick has been solid without being amazing. I still think we're short in the centres however.

The one that frustrates me the most is Field. He's clearly the quickest player at our club and has a lot of skill, but I can't see a spot for him in the backline over the next year or two. Unless he somehow puts on a bit of size to play wing or centre.

j0nesy likes this.
  6. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

I think you should be great defensively and in attack to be considered top 4.

Storm are the full package this year. I don't think anyone else is.

Crush likes this.
  7. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

Oh dear 2 more years of dragons footy doesnt matter if we sign ISRAEL FALOU and SONNY BILL .with mary and his cohorts in charge no chance of playing FINALS NEXT YEAR .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  8. This Year?

This Year? Bench

I woke up with sticky fingers then realised we have the cumstain Mary as our coach, so we will be 9th in 2018. Don't dare entertain any thoughts of finals footy even if we are 1st on the ladder halfway through the season in 2018.

9. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Juniors

Should give Mann a crack at hooker! If you can't find a permanent spot in the backs why not give him a go. His defense is good so that shouldn't be a problem. He is pretty silky on his feet and could be a good option. I don't see why they have purchased him to warm the bench. Maybe even share the role with Mcinnes to see how he goes and can cover the backline if there are injuries. Just a thought but feel he needs to be on the field more.

10. Maxwell

Maxwell Juniors

Nightingale is toooooo slooooow for NRL now , Mann should be in his place , good tackler, good defender. Look to future not behind us. But when you think about it Titans sacked their coach , weren't getting results they wanted and also was at logger heads with the plane Hayne, souths sacked their coach won a premiership 3 years ago , but Dragons last premiership 2010 under Bennett semi's 2011. Since then 2 f**kwit coaches 1 semi appearance and still have 1 off them coaching for another 2 years so how f**ked are our CEO and Board going . Total bullshit run club in the world I think.

nontime111 likes this.
  11. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

In an ideal (dream) world, this would be my 17-

1. Dufty
    2. Rona
    3. Mann/Aitken
    4. Lafai
    5. Garrick/Lomax/Herbert
    6. Widdop
    7. Hunt
    8. Vaughan
    9. McInnes
    10. Graham
    11. Frizell
    12. Thompson
    13. De Belin

14. Lichaa/Field
    15. Sims
    15. Ah Mau
    17. Leilua/Host/Aitken/Mann

- I would give anything to sign Curtis Rona for 2018. I also think it's time to shaft both Nightingale and Macdonald to NSW Cup in place of one of our speedy juniors.
    - I'm very supportive of the Lichaa pursuit, I think he could genuinely bring a lot to our squad playing his natural game.
    - That forward pack picks itself every week, one of the best in the NRL without a doubt.

Throw a quality coach in there and top 4 is definitely a possibility.

12. Life's Good

Life's Good First Grade

I still struggle to think we weren't Top 4 this year after the start we had. It's an absolutely wasted year based on the start and the level we saw that we could play at. Sure plenty of people have labelled this year as soft but who cares. We had a golden opportunity and blew it with at least 5 games dropped through lack of intensity. Even if we do make the Top 4 next year(I think we will be 7-8)what does it matter? We have shown from the failures of this year we can't lift when needed.

SGMax likes this.
  13. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

And I'm wondering if were stuck with this Leonardo da Vinci for 2 yrs more where's the cistine chapel should keep him busy for a while il put in to pay his fare .

14. BennyV

BennyV Coach

The more I think about it critically and objectively, the more I think we are specials to miss the 8 again in 2018.

I think we have the squad to be challenging for the Top 4 (not necessarily the team that will be picked though) however the brains behind the team strategy, on a per-game basis and across the season, is heavily lacking. We've only improved by a halfback (consider Packer for Graham a like-for-like replacement) but I'm expecting the same selections and strategy - complete lack of speed on the left edge and lack of brains on the right edge, a 'utility' to site on the bench for 70+ minutes a game, forwards to get burnt out over the course of the year and very little depth/youth to be prepared for first grade when we need them.

Then of course, we need to consider other teams - as long as Mary has been at the helm, we've relied on other teams to fall. This year was the softest comp in recent memory and we still didnt make it.

Looking at the teams above us, I can't imagine any of them falling to great depths (although history tells us that 1 or 2 will lose it). The likely candidates, IMO, are Penrith and Manly. The former will likely be losing their captain and have one of the poorest coaches in the league, however it could be argued that Tyrone May suits the chemistry of the team better than Moylan and some of those youngster have the ability to turn it on despite the coach, so you simply never know. And Manly may be losing Blake Gree, however they may also be gaining a Matt Moylan; the Turbos are a year older and will become more dominant and while they are light on in the forwards, 1 recruit could keep them where they currently are.

Now, looking at the teams below us, there is plenty of potential for us to fall further:
    - Canberra: again, a very poor coach, however history tells us that on alternate years, they turn it on ad they've certainly got the team to do it.
    - Souffs: They get GI back and recruited an attacking beast in Gagai. Hard to say what will happen under a new coach but there is definitely potential for them to head back up the ladder.
    - Tigpies: IMO they are a smokey to creep into the 8, they've got a coach who was turning them around and matching it with some good teams and they are overturning their roster well.
    - Titans: This depends on the coach they select, however if they end up with JD or Maguire they have the talent in the squad to get back into Top 8 contention. Remember, Maguire was the one who turned a lazy, self-indulgent GI into one of the most destructive players in the world.

I cant see Dogs or Warriors getting over their issues by ext year, and I think it's a year too early to see Newcastle sneak into the 8, but I definitely think we will be in for another long year unless something drastically changes in the coming months. And TBH, I can't see that happening.

BrissyRedV and ALSGI like this.
  15. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

A good summation Benny and pretty much sums up my thoughts and lack of anticipation for next year. The squad as a whole IMO is a good side. Half back will now be a strength for us and Dufty the more he plays will only get better. But our biggest issue from this season other than McGroan, has not been rectified. The side trotted out will be playing to the same ineffective game plans, interchange will again be poorly used and the end of season fatigue will most likely repeat itself due to McWreckors selection policies. Young stars may be blooded but it will be poorly done and unlikely to have a positive effect on either the player or the sides chances. I hold little excitement for next year as I did for this year and it is purely down to one thing, (let's not get into the other major issue of club management) and that is the retention of a useless coach.

ALSGI likes this.
  16. ALSGI

ALSGI Juniors

Agree with BV and BRV.
    I’m quietly iptomistic with the squad so far but we lack the smarts which is mainly down to the coaching team.
    With Hunt coming our soft spot is on both Wings. Nene can improve, Nighty is past it. We have Mann, Field and a few others that would improve our Wings dramatically imo.

17. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

Next year
    1 Dufty
    2 Lomax Mann
    3 Aitken/ Marsters/
    4Lafai/ Garrick
    5 Field/nighty
    6 WIDDOP
    7 HUNT
    8 Vaughan
    9 Leichaa/McInnes
    10 Graham
    11Frizell
    12 Host
    13 jack
    14 Au moi
    15 leilua
    16Sims
    17 lawrie
    That's assuming THOMMO moved on and also assuming we have a coach by then Latimore waiting in the wings .

18. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

Jonesy
    Thompson been told to look around.
    So he will not be there next year.

19. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 Juniors

Even with McGregor on charge, l think we are an excellent chance of being top 4 ............. at least till April!

Crush, Life's Good and ALSGI like this.
  20. ALSGI

ALSGI Juniors

Yep, especially a win on Anzac Day to put us at the top of the table would be excellent.

Old Kogarah Boy 1 likes this.