What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NRL Squad

ALSGI

Bench
I think 2019 looks promising and we will be in most top 8 predictions. Expectations will certainly be higher than they were this year.

Notwithstanding any other new recruits the team for 2019 imo looks like :

1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Periera

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizzell
12. T. Sims
13. JDB

14. Lielua
15. K. Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Mann

18. Field
19. Robson
20. Host
21. Aitken/Herbert/Ravalawa

The 13 look great and is top 4 quality imo.

It’s the 14-21 that will be the key to a successful season (trying hard not to talk about coaching here).

There has to be a forwards rotation from the start to cover inevitable injuries and with Friz, Vaughan and T.Sims likely for SOO.

Same with our halves. Inevitable injuries to Widdop and or Hunt who is also likely for SOO. Mann is not an 80min half imo. Field needs to be rotated in these roles from the start. We need someone that can kick, create and set up backs to cover 6&7. Mann is a very good player, good impact covering just about anywhere, especially 2-5. Perfect utility.

McInnes get’s bagged a lot but can’t be expected to keep up his workload and be a creative 9. Robson needs to be rotated in this role from the start and could be a good utility aswell.

Aitken? Will provide pressure on Lafai? Just don’t know where he fits atm.

Carlton

Juniors
I think 2019 looks promising and we will be in most top 8 predictions. Expectations will certainly be higher than they were this year.

1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Periera

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizzell
12. T. Sims
13. JDB

14. Lielua
15. K. Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Mann

18. Field
19. Robson
20. Host

It’s the 14-21 that will be the key to a successful season (trying hard not to talk about coaching here).

There has to be a forwards rotation from the start to cover inevitable injuries and with Friz, Vaughan and T.Sims likely for SOO.

Same with our halves. Inevitable injuries to Widdop and or Hunt who is also likely for SOO. Mann is not an 80min half imo. Field needs to be rotated in these roles from the start. We need someone that can kick, create and set up backs to cover 6&7. Mann is a very good player, good impact covering just about anywhere, especially 2-5. Perfect utility.

McInnes get’s bagged a lot but can’t be expected to keep up his workload and be a creative 9. Robson needs to be rotated in this role from the start and could be a good utility aswell.

We need a fullback like Holmes, RTS, Tedesco. Its not enough to have speed (everyone of these fullbacks has it) you need size and physicality as well. Dufty has played a full year and does not look like he is the long term answer. Fullback is too important a position to persevere with someone who may make it.

Another area I think we need to look at is the halves, I was worried at the start of the year that with Hunt and Widdop we would be weak as far as game management went. Maybe the answer is to move Widdop to fullback and find a 5/8 who is stronger at game management. Even though I'm suggesting this as a possibility I personally dont think that long term Widdop at fullback is what we need.

Lastly we need wingers with size and speed, who can both bring the ball back like a forward.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Graham to bench for Sims to start.
He would give us more go forward along with Vaughan and Graham could come on in short bursts to lift the team and keep them up. I love Grahams whole hearted approach but he's getting older.

ALSGI

Bench
Graham to bench for Sims to start.
He would give us more go forward along with Vaughan and Graham could come on in short bursts to lift the team and keep them up. I love Grahams whole hearted approach but he's getting older.
Understand what you’re saying about his age and agree about shorter bursts but I think he’s a starter, sets the tone with mongrel and linespeed from the kick off on the field not from the bench.

BLM01

First Grade
Need another recognised 1st grade three-quarter to put pressure on positions 2-5.
Aitken is now in that "left right out" position in my mind as he cant step of his left with the same power and can only really play right hand side, although he would be able to pass better right to left if he took Lafai's position...although they say Lomax can step off both so maybe Lomax for Lafai.
But because he was so called on the fringe of origin selection last year after 1 and only run stepping inside of a slow starting Inglis.. bet he gets first crack at his RHS centre spot back and they will put Lomax to..maybe right wing?...if Nene is going. Tell Aitken to bulk up and play back row or something he would be good at...bash and barge
Also need another 1st grade prop, fringe 1st grade back up f/back if Herbert not going to be used & half

Theflamingo

Juniors
We need a fullback like Holmes, RTS, Tedesco. Its not enough to have speed (everyone of these fullbacks has it) you need size and physicality as well. Dufty has played a full year and does not look like he is the long term answer. Fullback is too important a position to persevere with someone who may make it.

Another area I think we need to look at is the halves, I was worried at the start of the year that with Hunt and Widdop we would be weak as far as game management went. Maybe the answer is to move Widdop to fullback and find a 5/8 who is stronger at game management. Even though I'm suggesting this as a possibility I personally dont think that long term Widdop at fullback is what we need.

Lastly we need wingers with size and speed, who can both bring the ball back like a forward.

Aitken?

1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Periera

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizzell
12. T. Sims
13. JDB

14. Lielua
15. K. Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Mann

18. Field
19. Robson
20. Host

Good analysis
The ingredient that has been missing under McGregor is picking the team on form.
If players know that their position is not safe and there are others striving to make the 17, can only intensify performance.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018 season review: The biggest upside to St George Illawarra after ‘pass mark’ season
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

3d1087bf272969d1a744800450593d12

NRL 2018: Dragons season review.Source: FOX SPORTS
IT was one hell of a roller coaster season for St George Illawarra.

Tipped to miss finals football for a third-straight season by a host of NRL experts, the Dragons proved many wrong after sitting atop the competition ladder for 16 weeks in a row.

But after the representative period when many of their stars were rewarded with jerseys, a slide began — and so did the fans’ discontent after seeing it all before.

Preliminary Final
It got ugly after their worst-ever loss at Kogarah, a 38-0 defeat to lowly Canterbury, when the team was jeered off the field and fans started burning jerseys on social media.

But before they knew it, the fans were back on board after an incredible Dragons form reversal which saw them knock off the Broncos in week one of the finals before falling to South Sydney in week two in a heartbreaking one-point loss.

So can they improve?

“Without a doubt,” Dragons legend Mark Gasnier told NRL 360.

“They’ve got Korbin Sims coming, you look at young Zac Lomax who’s going to have another year, Matt Dufty will be into his third year … Blake Lawrie, the young front-rower.

“There’s a lot of youth coming through and I think Ben Hunt will be better for the year, James Graham as well.

“There’s a lot of upside to the Dragons.”

Despite the departure of Leeson Ah Mau which is offset by the addition of Korbin Sims, the Red V’s roster remains virtually the same next year.

It’s one that Gasnier rated in the pre-season and one that he believes will only get better after the experiences of 2018.

“I had them in my top six, and I really liked their roster,” Gasnier said.

“The addition of Graham, and I heard in pre-season how good he’d been for the younger forwards … Hunt partnering with Gareth Widdop, and I expected a lot from Dufty.

“It’s a pass mark. But if you flipped their season around and if they went from three from nine at the start of the year and then finished the way they started, we’d all be saying what an amazing season.

“I loved their last two games. I admit the back end of the season, the last six games in particular, was pretty ordinary.

“But typified by Graham, in those two semi-final matches, their attitude was spot on.”

BEST STATS

— Their 15 regular season wins was their most since winning 17 in 2010.

— St George Illawarra busted 32.5 tackles this season, more than any other team.

— 2018 saw the Dragons get their biggest away win in their history (54-8 v Titans in Toowoomba) but also saw them suffer their biggest ever loss at Kogarah (0-38 in Rd 24 v Bulldogs).

— Almost 45 per cent of their conceded tries this season (37 of 84) came through their right side defence.

— Had five players play all 26 matches this season (Matt Dufty, James Graham, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann and Cameron McInnes).

— Matt Dufty was their leading try scorer with 13 tries.

— Gareth Widdop (205 points) became just the second player for St George Illawarra to score 200+ points in a season behind Jamie Soward (234 in 2009).

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Tyson Frizell

The representative back-rower was inspirational throughout the season and led from the front in more ways than one.

When the side needed a powerful run to get over the advantage line, it was often Frizell taking a run from almost off the back fence.

This season the 26-year-old averaged 70 minutes and 104 run metres per game — the latter being the most of his career.

He was also a machine in defence, averaging 27.2 tackles per game.

85912340bb2e3e6eb700567f42d045b7

Tyson Frizell had a big season.Source: AAP
MOMENT THAT MATTERED

Elimination final: 48-18 v Brisbane

It will go down as one of the all-time finals ambushes, because it was a stunning performance that no one saw coming.

After limping into the finals, winning just three of their final nine regular-season games, the Dragons shocked the NRL with a demolition job on the Broncos — their first victory at Suncorp Stadium since 2009.

The Dragons were down on confidence, while the Broncos had stormed into September, but a stirring captain’s run speech from Graham inspired the Red V to the unlikely win.

87816488f11a97859ba0c823a0ab0443

The Dragons ambushed the Broncos in their elimination final.Source: AAP
WHAT WENT RIGHT

As has been in the case in recent seasons, the Dragons’ start to the year was a blistering one.

The Red V won 12 of their first 15 matches of the season to lead the competition up until Round 16 and that put them in good stead for their first finals berth since 2015.

First-grade debuts to the likes of Lomax, Reece Robson, Jordan Pereira and Darren Nicholls, as well as more game time for Blake Lawrie and Luciano Leilua will only boost the team’s depth going forward.

e277b5667e551c33d8302ffe3705dd88

Gareth Widdop’s shoulder injury was a huge blow to the team.Source: AAP
WHAT WENT WRONG

With a large number of stars involved in State of Origin including Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Frizell, Hunt and Tariq Sims, the Dragons emerged from the representative period visibly a flatter side.

And they weren’t the only players who took part in rep duties with Gareth Widdop and Graham also involved in the Denver Test between England and New Zealand.

Whether or not player management played a part in their late-season slump, a Dragons internal review will determine, but perhaps the coaching staff may do things differently next season.

Injuries also played their part with Widdop (dislocated shoulder) and Vaughan’s (broken foot) absences cruel blows late in the year.

GRADE: B-

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/f381537e768b868b1959447b63f4971d

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Transfer Centre: Every club’s full squad, player movements, signings and news
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

4f99f3f87c57ea770cc74016db90c845

Nathan Cleary and Paul McGregor.Source: FOX SPORTS
DRAGONS winger Jordan Pereira has re-signed with the club for the next two seasons.

The speedster will now be with the Dragons until at least the end of the 2020 NRL season.

The late bloomer made his debut back in Round 19 against the North Queensland Cowboys at the age of 25.

Pereira finished the season in the Dragons with nine games to his name, the last of which was the heartbreaking loss to the Rabbitohs in the semi-finals.

The New Zealand-born Pereira was excited to lock in his future with the Red V.

“Five years ago I was playing park footy,” Pereira told Dragons.com.

“Now I have to pinch myself considering I’m playing with the likes of Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop. It’s definitely a blessing.

“It’s really good news for my fiancé and I to add that stability and security to our future. Being here gives us that extra bit of happiness. We wanted to stay and the two extra pre-seasons will be so beneficial to me, particularly for my development.

“I’m very happy to be running around in first grade now and it’s definitely something I don’t want to give up. I’m very proud to be representing this club and hopefully there’s more NRL games to come.”

Pereira joins the likes of Cameron McInnes, Matt Dufty, Zac Lomax, Jeremy Latimore and Luciano Leilua, who all re-signed with the Dragons this season.

The Dragons also welcome former Broncos prop Korbin Sims who signed a three-year deal in July.

DRAGONS

2018 squad: Ben Hunt (2022), Blake Lawrie (2019), Cameron McInnes (2018), Darren Nicholls (2019), Euan Aitken (2020), Gareth Widdop (2021), Hame Sele (2018), Jack de Belin (2020), Jacob Host (2020), Jai Field (2019), James Graham (2020), Jason Nightingale (2018), Jeremy Latimore (2019), Josh Kerr (2018), Kurt Mann (2019), Leeson Ah Mau (2018), Luciano Leilua (2018), Matt Dufty (2019), Mitchell Allgood (2018), Nene Macdonald (2019), Patrick Herbert (2018), Paul Vaughan (2021), Reece Robson (2019), Reuben Garrick (2018), Jordan Pereira (2018), Steven Marsters (2019), Tariq Sims (2019), Tim Lafai (2020), Tristan Sailor (2019), Tyson Frizell (2020), Zac Lomax (2020)

Off contract: Leeson Ah Mau, Reuben Garrick, Patrick Herbert, Jason Nightingale, Ash Nisbet, Hame Sele, Mitchell Allgood

Coach: Paul McGregor (until 2019)

New deal: Jordan Pereira (until 2020), Cameron McInnes (until 2021), Luciano Leilua (until 2020), Matt Dufty (until 2019), Joe Lovodua (until 2019), Josh Kerr (until 2019), Zac Lomax (until 2020), Jeremy Latimore (until 2019)

Leaving: Joel Thompson (pre-season 2018 to Manly until 2019), Leeson Ah Mau (to Warriors from 2019 to 2021), Jason Nightingale (retiring)

2019 signings: Korbin Sims (to 2021)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a4ff46cf7ba4afa868a39971625ea962

Carlton

Juniors

I am not a fan of Aitken and find it hard to see where he will fit in. I dont think he is a centre or winger, too small for second row and besides is not better than Frizzell and Simms, lock perhaps but is not better than JDB, as a utility I dont know if he is versatile enough and is not an impact player off the bench.

I am not saying he is a terrible player but there are a lot of almost good first graders running around and we need better than almost good.

Drag Queen

Bench

Jordan Pereira could potentially be our FB. He's got the skills, holds position, catches the high ball and has a bit of mongrel about him. Fairly different story when you look at Dufty, drops to the ground at the hint of a tackle, 50/50 with his highballs, his speed is always cut short, he never seem to be sniffing around the ruck or chasing??

New Dragon

Juniors
Definitely see the need to look for an outside back as a few of the young guns other than Lomax that showed promise are moving on. This leaves Marsters as the only one left in that group coming through and he isnt anywhere near ready. Garrick is gone, word is Herbert is leaving and Matheson Johns has gone to Panthers so apart from Lafai, Aitken and Lomax that seems about it.

Realise we can’t keep them all however I would like to see them retain Herbert and Sele for at least another 12 months.

Herbert and Sele both played very well in ISP this season.

We gave Kerr another season. He hardly set the world alight.

Poor leg drive, poorer lateral movement.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
By my reckoning we have 25 currently signed for 2019 (inc Nene) for the NRL squad and 5 for the DP squad.
However, there may he some movement with a couple of the DP players moving to the NRL squad:

Props/Locks (8)
JDB, Graham, Kerr, Latimore, Lawrie, K. Sims, Vaughan, Blacker (DP)

Edge Forwards (5)
Frizell, Host, Leilua, T. Sims, Ford (DP)

Backs (8 +1)
Aitken, Dufty, Lafai, Lomax, McDonald (?), Periera, Masters (DP), Saab (DP) +1 Ravalawa (unconfirmed)

Halves (5)
Field, Hunt, Nichols, Sailor, Widdop

Hookers (2)
McInnes, Robson

Utility (2)
Mann, Lovodua (DP)

So, lets say 25, add Ravalawa and I'm guessing they may promote Ford, Masters and Lovodua from the DP squad (leaving Saab and Blacker and allowing some promotion of ither juniors like SSE and young Wishart), That would equal 29, leaving 1 vacant spot. Upon reflection our forward stocks are very limited especially in the prop/lock area with only Kerr and Lats the back ups atm.

Its a good squad but just seems to lack something imo.

possm

Coach
Jordan Pereira could potentially be our FB. He's got the skills, holds position, catches the high ball and has a bit of mongrel about him. Fairly different story when you look at Dufty, drops to the ground at the hint of a tackle, 50/50 with his highballs, his speed is always cut short, he never seem to be sniffing around the ruck or chasing??
The off-season will sort all of this out however, I have seen Lomax play football a few times in the lower grades. He was a standout playing that position and I believe he was being considered along with Field and Dufty for the fullback position in 2018.

I like the idea of having big wingers and so, I hope we can sign Oats for 2019 and beyond. Pereira is a very good backup winger but in my opinion not a first grade fullback.

possm

Coach
By my reckoning we have 25 currently signed for 2019 (inc Nene) for the NRL squad and 5 for the DP squad.
However, there may he some movement with a couple of the DP players moving to the NRL squad:

Props/Locks (8)
JDB, Graham, Kerr, Latimore, Lawrie, K. Sims, Vaughan, Blacker (DP)

Edge Forwards (5)
Frizell, Host, Leilua, T. Sims, Ford (DP)

Backs (8 +1)
Aitken, Dufty, Lafai, Lomax, McDonald (?), Periera, Masters (DP), Saab (DP) +1 Ravalawa (unconfirmed)

Halves (5)
Field, Hunt, Nichols, Sailor, Widdop

Hookers (2)
McInnes, Robson

Utility (2)
Mann, Lovodua (DP)

So, lets say 25, add Ravalawa and I'm guessing they may promote Ford, Masters and Lovodua from the DP squad (leaving Saab and Blacker and allowing some promotion of ither juniors like SSE and young Wishart), That would equal 29, leaving 1 vacant spot. Upon reflection our forward stocks are very limited especially in the prop/lock area with only Kerr and Lats the back ups atm.

Its a good squad but just seems to lack something imo.
I'd rather keep Herbert and let go Aitken. Herbert has shown he can play 1-5.

Drag Queen

Bench
The off-season will sort all of this out however, I have seen Lomax play football a few times in the lower grades. He was a standout playing that position and I believe he was being considered along with Field and Dufty for the fullback position in 2018.

I like the idea of having big wingers and so, I hope we can sign Oats for 2019 and beyond. Pereira is a very good backup winger but in my opinion not a first grade fullback.
Back up winger? He did a fantastic job. Wake up Possm. In your opinion you still back Dufty? Name one team with an inept FB that would take him on. Just one.

Matt Dufty has his problems this season under the high ball and in defence.

Would not be surprised if Mary trials several players for the fullback role including Field, Lomax and Mann.

Lomax has good hands under the high ball but lacks the turbo speed fullbacks need these days.

Both Lomax and Mann are much better defenders.

Field has similar speed to Dufty and similar defensive capabilities.

All of them are capable link men.

Next year will be an important year for all 4 of them.