What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Financial Reports

Wb1234

Referee
What sort of Asset should the game target next?

Just spitballing...
Target ownership/stake in Accor stadium.
- Money invested can be matched by govt to change lower bowl to perminant rectangular seating with upgraded corporate facilities.
- Shephard no longer chair of Venues NSW may help.
- 20+ NRL club games, Bulldogs & Souths (prefer Souths at the SFS but that is another story), Easter Monday, NRL finals etc...
- Big ticket items, NRL GF, SOO, Concerts, Socceroos etc..

Any thoughts ?

taipan

Referee
To be fair, the AFL extended in 2020 to the end of 2024 and that seems to have been a good call. Extending in 2021 through to 2027 was unnecessary - especially given one of the reasons cited by Vlandys has been the financial wellbeing of the broadcaster
I repeat what I stated about the NRL needing to have financial certainty in 2021 ,as they wanted to ensure the backing of the expansion club the Dolphins was covered.Fox covered them. They could not have left it till 2022, as the Dolphins came in this year.To suggest not ensuring certainty from 2021 to 2027 on that basis is a bit unfair.
The AFL had no extension concerns ATT during COVID.Nor do they have Internationals or SOO which is part of the mix.
You have a short memory ,the NRL got screwed years ago when ch10 went bust.They have had the awful experience of a broadcaster without financial well being.Ch9 had major issues, even though I don't like them being assisted .
Let's face it ch7 will always push for the AFL in toto, they just want to pick the eyes out of the NRL in any bidding.
In reality the NRL will have 9 and 10 as the only real full FTA bidders.

The_Wookie

Bench
I repeat what I stated about the NRL needing to have financial certainty in 2021 ,as they wanted to ensure the backing of the expansion club the Dolphins was covered.Fox covered them. They could not have left it till 2022, as the Dolphins came in this year.To suggest not ensuring certainty from 2021 to 2027 on that basis is a bit unfair.

I dont think so, and you may be one of the few people ive ever seen that thinks this is the case.

The AFL had no extension concerns ATT during COVID.Nor do they have Internationals or SOO which is part of the mix.

They copped similar COVID reductions from 2020-2022 and their deal was due to expire at the end of 2022. The extension concerns were the same. They extended for 2 years banking on improved circumstances in 2025.

You have a short memory ,the NRL got screwed years ago when ch10 went bust.

I dont have a short memory. But that was also early 90s. The AFL also got screwed by Seven in 1987, and literally sold the rights to the ABC for a year. I dont think that weighs into AFL decisions, do you?

And the AFL sold the rights from 2002-2007 to Nine and Ten, from 2007-2012 to Seven and Ten.

Iamback

Coach
You have a short memory ,the NRL got screwed years ago when ch10 went bust.They have had the awful experience of a broadcaster without financial well being.Ch9 had major issues, even though I don't like them being assisted .
Let's face it ch7 will always push for the AFL in toto, they just want to pick the eyes out of the NRL in any bidding.
In reality the NRL will have 9 and 10 as the only real full FTA bidders.

That is it, People have unrealistic expections.

Ch7 even took Cricket Australia to court, Yet they still were preferred over ch10.

It was never going anywhere else, The game had to expand. $2b of locked in TV money ensured it got done

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
I dont think so, and you may be one of the few people ive ever seen that thinks this is the case.

They copped similar COVID reductions from 2020-2022 and their deal was due to expire at the end of 2022. The extension concerns were the same. They extended for 2 years banking on improved circumstances in 2025.

I dont have a short memory. But that was also early 90s. The AFL also got screwed by Seven in 1987, and literally sold the rights to the ABC for a year. I dont think that weighs into AFL decisions, do you?

And the AFL sold the rights from 2002-2007 to Nine and Ten, from 2007-2012 to Seven and Ten.

taipan

Referee

I doubt many would have decided on expansion based on COVID impact ,and deciding to expand the comp not knowing what to expect over the next 5 years (the time the Dolphins would have been in the comp)by waiting til 2022 to go ahead with a deal.Bear in mind the code is not exactly flush with assets other than yes cash on hand, hence the purchase of the Gambaro hotel in order to ensure more revenue.

IOW the AFL took a gamble which paid off(all good with hindsight), hypothetically with COVID and what is happening in the economy now it could have gone the other way.The contract extension concerns were not the same, an expanded comp and the additional funding involved.The AFL does not have SOO ,nor internationals as I have mentioned.As the Annual report stated for the NRL ,their costs in relation to revenue is less than the other codes.

Early 90s is very relevant because after the Alan Bond/Packer debacle with 9 which threatened further financially the code ,the code got entangled with the Super league war circa 1995 , which I understand ATT the ARL had in
the late $25m plus in the Bank.Every bit of that went into players' pockets, the code and fan base divided (and there are still to this day people who are bitter about the split and the chopping of teams(which the AFL had not had to face nor joint ventures).
Well historically for many NRL fans and I have no doubt some officials weigh into the fact, it's better to have financial certainty than the crap the code experienced in the 90s.
And guess who was the major beneficiary of the SL war, the AFL in the Northern states.The Swans officials during that period admitted that.

You missed my point.It was simply to state that ch7 is so AFL entwined that in any NRL deals it would ensure it had the AFL in total and cherry pick the NRL. I'm aware of the split 7 & 10 but that's holding one code not two majors.
Whereas ch9 is far more accommodating, ask any league fan, they'll tell you 9 in Sydney on many occasions AFL sport results certainly late afternoon before the NRL.ch9 in Melbourne gives little publicity to the NRL.

And I can assure you over the decades with rugby league at both club and head office level, there have been people well meaning but clueless in running a club like a business.And that is why financial certainty in uncertain times is so important.And yes everyone wants more $ but sometimes the situation in the background is a big influence.

Pneuma

First Grade
I doubt many would have decided on expansion based on COVID impact ,and deciding to expand the comp not knowing what to expect over the next 5 years (the time the Dolphins would have been in the comp)by waiting til 2022 to go ahead with a deal.Bear in mind the code is not exactly flush with assets other than yes cash on hand, hence the purchase of the Gambaro hotel in order to ensure more revenue.

IOW the AFL took a gamble which paid off(all good with hindsight), hypothetically with COVID and what is happening in the economy now it could have gone the other way.The contract extension concerns were not the same, an expanded comp and the additional funding involved.The AFL does not have SOO ,nor internationals as I have mentioned.As the Annual report stated for the NRL ,their costs in relation to revenue is less than the other codes.

Early 90s is very relevant because after the Alan Bond/Packer debacle with 9 which threatened further financially the code ,the code got entangled with the Super league war circa 1995 , which I understand ATT the ARL had in
the late $25m plus in the Bank.Every bit of that went into players' pockets, the code and fan base divided (and there are still to this day people who are bitter about the split and the chopping of teams(which the AFL had not had to face nor joint ventures).
Well historically for many NRL fans and I have no doubt some officials weigh into the fact, it's better to have financial certainty than the crap the code experienced in the 90s.
And guess who was the major beneficiary of the SL war, the AFL in the Northern states.The Swans officials during that period admitted that.

You missed my point.It was simply to state that ch7 is so AFL entwined that in any NRL deals it would ensure it had the AFL in total and cherry pick the NRL. I'm aware of the split 7 & 10 but that's holding one code not two majors.
Whereas ch9 is far more accommodating, ask any league fan, they'll tell you 9 in Sydney on many occasions AFL sport results certainly late afternoon before the NRL.ch9 in Melbourne gives little publicity to the NRL.

And I can assure you over the decades with rugby league at both club and head office level, there have been people well meaning but clueless in running a club like a business.And that is why financial certainty in uncertain times is so important.And yes everyone wants more $ but sometimes the situation in the background is a big influence.
As evidence of how entwined channel 7 is with the afl they featured a puff piece on the coach Clarkson last night who has serious racism allegations against him. Sickening.

Wb1234

Referee
Hey if you want to close your eyes and pretend $43million pulled out of grass roots over 2 years to pay clubs more isnt creating a problem for the game go ahead.
You know with the increased grant each club will be doing more spending on juniors

which is way more effective than the scattergun afl approach of throwing hundred of millions at it