What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well it seems quite clear that the majority of Souths fans prefer Accor over Allianz
this is dull bait for your main rival mate.

Simply put, last night the Rabbitohs attracted a larger regular season crowd at Allianz than they have in a decade outside of the Easter match at Accor.

Fairly evident to me that Allianz is a better option for them going forward. You don't own the stadium.

accor is a turd
apart from a final , or a big public holiday game , or ... the minor premiership on the line etc

40K will never turn up there for a club game
No doubt its shit but when Souths made the claim that they moved there because they have more fans (at least those who show up) out west and that it was never about the money, I wonder now if there’s truth to it.

this is dull bait for your main rival mate.

Simply put, last night the Rabbitohs attracted a larger regular season crowd at Allianz than they have in a decade outside of the Easter match at Accor.

Fairly evident to me that Allianz is a better option for them going forward. You don't own the stadium.
Oh I get that we don’t own the stadium, that’s why Sydney FC and some rugby team play there.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No doubt its shit but when Souths made the claim that they moved there because they have more fans (at least those who show up) out west and that it was never about the money, I wonder now if there’s truth to it.
Far be it from me to defend Souths, but that decision was made, and those quotes are from - the mid 2000's. We're nearly 20 years down the track.

Far be it from me to defend Souths, but that decision was made, and those quotes are from - the mid 2000's. We're nearly 20 years down the track.
Agreed but housing affordability is driving people away from the inner city and further out west so there’s probably a greater number than now than what it was twenty years ago?

wazdog

Juniors
How’s that proof? Everyone expecting close to 40k. Could’ve gone close to that at Accor with more Parra fans showing up.

The previous two times we Parra at Accor (both on Saturday night 7:30pm) in 2022 and 2021 it drew 10k on both occasions so it wouldn't have got more if we played there.

EDIT: also the more of our fans are turning up to the new stadium for the derby game now as well. It never drew close to 40k in the past.

Wb1234

Referee
accor is a turd
apart from a final , or a big public holiday game , or ... the minor premiership on the line etc

40K will never turn up there for a club game
I’d have the grand final and origins at allianz

and yes it means higher ticket prices

Wb1234

Referee
Dunno where you heard that

they moved because the rent they were being charged at the sfs wasn’t affordable. They wanted the same rent as the roosters but the scg trust said no

they were paid 100k a game to play at homebush and it’s what turned their finances around

they moved because the rent they were being charged at the sfs wasn’t affordable. They wanted the same rent as the roosters but the scg trust said no

they were paid 100k a game to play at homebush and it’s what turned their finances around
I remember Rusty saying as much but there have been articles supporting such a theory

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Good crowd at Suncorp. Just going back to @King-Gutho94 's question the other day. Melbourne fans haven't even sold out half of their bay. Most big Sydney clubs have the majority of the bay reserved for QLD based memberships before they even go on sale.
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 7.51.14 pm.png

yakstorm

First Grade
Stadium Australia offered big money for Souths to move and understandably the club took it up.

The most disappointing part in that era was that, and I know this from working with the club at the time, is they didn't bother putting any money into marketing majority of their games because to then it was seen only as a cost (they pretty much needed to get over 30K to get anymore than the 100K guarantee).

They would of course promote memberships, as that was extra revenue for them, but I do feel the lack of promoting attending games, etc meant they missed an opportunity to build an attendance culture whilst the club was going through a real resurgence.

wazdog

Juniors

That's right and they then used the membership stats to justify the decision.

The trams in from Kingsford were packed at 6pm so there was a steady flow of people coming in from the area.

I was speaking to someone at the club a few years back and they mentioned that the corporate facilities at Accor aren't that great so the appeal of Allianz would definitely help that cause.

Wb1234

Referee
I remember Rusty saying as much but there have been articles supporting such a theory

Those articles were after they moved asking fans were they came from

since they don’t get 100k a game now homebush has limited appeal

they would make a killing from the corporate facilities at allianz