What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Pneuma

First Grade
Don't know why they can't make decisions on the run...if seats are spare but people have paid $5 less for a hill ticket, who cares, that's where they should go.

The club would make more money from the 500 people who could then also enter at $25 a head.
In a former existence I worked on the gate at cricket games. Nobody in control could’ve made a sensible decision to save their life.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Who's behind the excellent crowds this year ?...is it the clubs, somebody new in the NRL Marketing team or what.
And yes the NRL has been getting great crowds off and on for years but it's just this year it feels extra special.
Numbers speak for themselves which is good, there’s been few games that have had a really flat atmosphere from lack of crowd, this must have an affect on the ratings

Chook Norris

First Grade
Who's behind the excellent crowds this year ?...is it the clubs, somebody new in the NRL Marketing team or what.
And yes the NRL has been getting great crowds off and on for years but it's just this year it feels extra special.

1. Closeness of the general competition perhaps. Most games (aside from the chooks at the moment..) seem like they're 50/50. Less blow out games

2. More points each game. Footy is much more attack minded than the defensive oriented games we had in the 2010s

3. Dolphins coming in has breathed some life into the comp. Dolphins beating the chooks in round 1 perhaps breathed a lot of belief into the comp for underdog teams. Warriors doing better

4. New stadium helps too

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

My summation it's a covid bounce.. have a look at your local pub these days on a Saturday night.. all packed with diners etc .. can't get a booking .. this didn't really happen pre 2020

People got a glimpse for 18 months what it's like to live in a solitary bubble and started to really appreciate a social event again etc .. that's probably why both major sports in aust nrl and AFL are both up significantly

Plus some great play and a few new stadiums and the dolphins

Dont want to be negative but I doubt 2024 will be a crowd increase on 2023

Chook Norris

First Grade
My summation it's a covid bounce.. have a look at your local pub these days on a Saturday night.. all packed with diners etc .. can't get a booking .. this didn't really happen pre 2020

People got a glimpse for 18 months what it's like to live in a solitary bubble and started to really appreciate a social event again etc .. that's probably why both major sports in aust nrl and AFL are both up significantly

Plus some great play and a few new stadiums and the dolphins

Dont want to be negative but I doubt 2024 will be a crowd increase on 2023

The last lockdown we had was in 2021 though, right? So by that logic, 2022 should've seen a major bounce back and not 2023

Steel Saints

Juniors
A mixture of factors:

*new life after Covid and lockdowns
*six again rule has settled down
*introduction of the Dolphins
* new stadiums at Parra,Townsville and Moore Park
*less blowouts compared to previous years

The game overall looks fresh, compared to say five years ago.

Was at the Roosters and Panthers game last night. It was my parents’ first time at Allianz 2.0 as they are visiting from QLD and I was keen to take them to the new stadium.

It was the smallest crowd I’ve been in for the five NRL games at Allianz 2.0 (R25 2022 - Roosters vs Rabbitohs, EF 2022 Sharks vs Rabbitohs, R3 2023 Roosters vs Rabbitohs, ANZAC Day Roosters vs Dragons).

Despite that and the Roosters’ woeful form, the stadium itself gets so much right - the lighting, the steepness of the stands and the roof line means a lot of the noise and atmosphere is retained within the stadium, which obviously helps when the joint isn’t packed to the rafters.

Light rail was a breeze to get back into the city after the game too - one came as soon as we got to the platform and it was 15 min to get back to Town Hall.

All in all parents (who are Dolphins fans and go regularly to the Suncorp games) were impressed. And me (as a Rabbitohs fan) can’t wait for them to move to Allianz (hopefully, eventually?) as the far superior product to Accor.

Latest posts