What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 26-24 Brisbane @ Accor

Grand Final: Penrith v Brisbane

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 62 72.9%
  • Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thing with Cleary is that I think playing in consistently good teams in a good system that he has at Penrith will play against in him the immortal ranks. It didn’t matter who Johns had around him or who he was coached by, he could still single handedly dominate in poor teams. Could Cleary do that? I don’t know, and tbh we probably won’t ever find out because while ever he’s in the Penrith system he’ll have a good structure around him. I’d love to see him go to a struggling team like the Tigers later in his career to try and turn the club around. If he can do that he’s definitely well and truely deserving of immortal discussion. At the moment I’d have him on par with a Cooper Cronk.
Are we talking about the same Johns? Andrew ‘Joey’ Johns. Let’s look at Origin, where he is supposed to lap Cleary.

In the series when Joey was 26 (the same age as Cleary) he was on the bench behind Kimmorley. Before that he had been at hooker for two series, and at halfback for three. In the three series he was at halfback, NSW didn’t win the shield. One of those was against the 1995 QLDers (and while there have been many QLD teams given the moniker of worst ever, only one has had players that not even the coach recognised), while in 1998 we lost the series 2-1, losing the first game by one point after our kicker (you guessed it, one Andrew Johns) kicked 1 from 5. The actual experience (at least early in his career) don’t match the myth.

In terms of Joey being able to dominate teams single-handedly; did that really happen? 1991 he played an amazing game, but outside that Knights hardly dominated the period.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Are we talking about the same Johns? Andrew ‘Joey’ Johns. Let’s look at Origin, where he is supposed to lap Cleary.

In the series when Joey was 26 (the same age as Cleary) he was on the bench behind Kimmorley. Before that he had been at hooker for two series, and at halfback for three. In the three series he was at halfback, NSW didn’t win the shield. One of those was against the 1995 QLDers (and while there have been many QLD teams given the moniker of worst ever, only one has had players that not even the coach recognised), while in 1998 we lost the series 2-1, losing the first game by one point after our kicker (you guessed it, one Andrew Johns) kicked 1 from 5. The actual experience (at least early in his career) don’t match the myth.

In terms of Joey being able to dominate teams single-handedly; did that really happen? 1991 he played an amazing game, but outside that Knights hardly dominated the period.
Thoughts @mozza91 you sad little pissant?

wain

Juniors
Not sure this has been mentioned…After rewatching highlights, when they made the tackle on Walsh to push him back into the in goal…I was pretty confident that the panthers winger was offside from the kick. Anyone else think so?

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Not sure this has been mentioned…After rewatching highlights, when they made the tackle on Walsh to push him back into the in goal…I was pretty confident that the panthers winger was offside from the kick. Anyone else think so?
Gee let almost everything go. Some people think that makes a good performance, those people are idiots.

betcats

Referee

No he gets himself onside, hes in front of critta before the kick but by time he kicks he is onside

soc123_au

Staff member
I though he was, I'd have to rewatch more closely though. The bunker usually intervenes if a drop out call is wrong, so as @betcats mentioned he must have been ok.

Iamback

Coach

Generally it is almost impossible to dominate rep games.

If a half goes well then the outside backs are scoring. Someone scores a double then they are going to be the man of the match.

Look at the last series NSW won, Tommy got player of the series. Latrell would of been next best. The halves are often overlooked

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Honestly one of the best posts in LU history and I say that as someone who thinks Joey is the mostly talented player I've ever seen

Munky

Coach

I demand sources! It is confirmed fact that Joey took to the field by himself in 90s Origin and beat QLD single-handedly in one v thirteen contests.

For any series with a lost game it was because he was unfairly sent off.

Last edited:
As a neutral who’s worst nightmare come true
with my 2 most hated teams playing I can see a Broncos win only
If Bronco forwards get on top .
If that happens Cleary will go into his shell ( he seems to have nothing when things aren’t going good….can’t pull off some miracle to inspire his team ) .
Will watch only because I’m a RL fan …
Broncs win 26-16

This aged well……