What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 26-24 Brisbane @ Accor

Grand Final: Penrith v Brisbane

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 62 72.9%
  • Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King-Gutho94

Coach
Adam Gee showed up Ashley Klein and Gerard Sutton in his first major match.

With no GF or origin experience it was one of best refereed games in a long time for an important match.

If Gee doesn't get the gig for Origin then someone in NRL HQ needs to be whacked across the head.

Klein and Sutton are no longer capable of handling big games.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I mean he’s not wrong

Andrew Johns labeled everything the greatest of all time last night. Everything fron the opening kick off, to Adam Reynolds' apparent groin tear, probably Walsh's pink boots and then Nathan Cleary. The guy turns superlatives into common phrases.

To say that was the greatest GF performance of a halfback is just nuts. He was largely absent for 55 minutes. He missed Mam outright for one try. The backline was incredibly disjointed all first half. Yep, huge finish. But best of all time? That just makes a mockery of Joey as a commentator.

Andrew Johns labeled everything the greatest of all time last night. Everything fron the opening kick off, to Adam Reynolds' apparent groin tear, probably Walsh's pink boots and then Nathan Cleary. The guy turns superlatives into common phrases.

To say that was the greatest GF performance of a halfback is just nuts. He was largely absent for 55 minutes. He missed Mam outright for one try. The backline was incredibly disjointed all first half. Yep, huge finish. But best of all time? That just makes a mockery of Joey as a commentator.
I agree. It’s difficult to rank this as a CC medal performance. He was so poor for the first hour then played 20 of the best minutes youll see. Missed Mam for one try, kicked dead on tackle 4 under no pressure which lead to another (would have been the key moment in the game has they not comeback). I don’t think he rates among the top medal winners (Keary, Priddis, Burgess, Edwards), I would say the next tier down.

Munky

Coach

Cleary played a perfect halfback game in last year's GF.

This year he couldn't get anything going for sixty minutes then showed gears not seen in his previous games.

Very reminiscent of Tom Brady playing like shit up until 28-3.

Dodgy

Juniors
If you're a Storm fan, you might want to look at last night and buy Cam Smith an extra beer or something next time you see him.

If the Broncos had someone like him in the team, even a watered down version, they win the game from their 24-8 position.

I remember still being more confident of overrunning Storm in the 20GF than I was last night. When Penrith were coming back in 20, there were just these periods in amongst the haze where Melbourne slowed the game down, an extra 2-30secs, in their sets, which were frustrating me, and it was obvious Smith was orchestrating it. Something I don't notice when watching on tv. So yeah.

Wb1234

Referee

20 straight points with 20 mins on the clock
Penrith we’re shot

sets up the first try for leota, 40 20 then sets up the try for Crichton then scores the winner

to come back from all the mistakes he made is even harder it would’ve been easier just to give up and say it’s not our night

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Adam Gee showed up Ashley Klein and Gerard Sutton in his first major match.

With no GF or origin experience it was one of best refereed games in a long time for an important match.

If Gee doesn't get the gig for Origin then someone in NRL HQ needs to be whacked across the head.

Klein and Sutton are no longer capable of handling big games.
Completely agree,

I had absolutely no issues with the refereeing last night which has been rare the last few years.

Pity Adam Gee didn't do Origin this year.

Wizardman

First Grade
I agree. It’s difficult to rank this as a CC medal performance. He was so poor for the first hour then played 20 of the best minutes youll see. Missed Mam for one try, kicked dead on tackle 4 under no pressure which lead to another (would have been the key moment in the game has they not comeback). I don’t think he rates among the top medal winners (Keary, Priddis, Burgess, Edwards), I would say the next tier down.
It is a tough one. I agree (so does Cleary) that he did not play the perfect game last night, but no other halfback in the code today does what he did in the final 20 minutes. A deserved CC medallist......some great candidates in Haas, Mam and crucial plays from Chrichton close behind him.

JokerEel

Coach

Joey has lost the plot last night he was talking about Tago being strong 😂

AdelaideSharky

Juniors

Not sure how Chins got the Churchill for playing well for 35 minutes.

Had the Ponies not choked Mam gets the Churchill easily.

Whoever decides the voting for it needs to be replaced, something I've thought for years.

mxlegend99

Referee

Whoever decides the voting for it needs to be replaced, something I've thought for years.
While I agree that Mam gets it easily if Broncos had won, Panthers won because Nathan stepped up and owned every single moment of the end of that game to produce the biggest comeback in a grand final ever.

He wasn't the only player doing their job at the end of the game. Critter, Leota, Edwards etc. were all fantastic. But Cleary took control of the team and won the grand final. He was the one making everything happen. Considering their win rate together, Cleary the past month has actually looked a lot better when Luai was off the field and his job changes too.

Wb1234

Referee

Penrith were down two players

they wee busted

nobody gave them a chance with 20 mins to go

the easiest thing to do was clock off and say not tonight

he did it on the biggest stage by himself

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Turuva was veeeery close to offside on the Chrichton kick that saw Walsh forced in goal. I think he was okay but I’m surprised they didn’t look at it.

Latest posts