What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Grand Final predictions

Gardenia

Juniors
It's hard to feel sorry for someone who was a cheat, a grub and an ungracious winner.
F**k him.
Yep I get that and agree on those points.

It seems the club is his life though so I did feel a little sorry for him.

Cleary is just too darn good. I am not a Riff fan at all and would have loved
to see someone else win for a change. But I have to admire the class hard work and talent
of Cleary. He went god like as someone said earlier.

scary to think he has 12 years of playing left in him.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well it is over for another year. Penrith are the deserved winners and created history for this century to date. Ivan Cleary has done better than Bennett, Bellamy, Robinson, Hasler, Stuart, etc insofar as being able to win a threepeat since the turn into the 2000 millenium.

The Broncos have another hard luck story to add to their 2015 loss. They will be in the top 4 for sure next year so they might be able to get into the grand final again against the Panthers who I think will be going for a fourpeat.

Our chances of making the grand final next year aren't terrific and for that matter for a few years afterwards, but I do hope that we can at least make the top 4 in say two years, that is in 2026.

Anyway, our big thing is the signings that we have been patiently waiting for so that we can better assess our chances in 2023 and if we are destined for the spoon.

TruSaint

Referee
Glad Penrith won.

Glad Cleary won the medal ( i did predict it when this thread opened ).

Glad Broncos blew the unlosable.

Penrith have now shown that even with a salary cap, teams can earn years of dominance. It wouldnt not bother me at all if they won another one. They lost, Api, Kikau, Burton etc etc and yet still managed to finish on top.

How good is Cleary. Even with his halves partner off the field he literally owned the moments. Truly a special player, and hard not to like. You just knew when they got within a try that Cleary would muster up something.

Edwards at the back is 10 times the player Walsh is, even allowing for all his flair. Walsh is skillful and flashy, but has way too many errors at the minute.

They played for each other and the badge. They have earned their spot in history.

Phantom V

Juniors
Must say that the game was referred so differently from normal NRL referring it was extraordinary. Everything let go, no offside penalties, holding down (1) straight at marker, no forward passes, no hip drop, crushers etc. unbelievable!
100%. It’s no wonder finals games and State of Origin’s are the best games to watch because it’s the only time the refs put their whistle away.

Phantom V

Juniors
Glad Penrith won.

Penrith have now shown that even with a salary cap, teams can earn years of dominance. It wouldnt not bother me at all if they won another one. They lost, Api, Kikau, Burton etc etc and yet still managed to finish on top.

How good is Cleary. Even with his halves partner off the field he literally owned the moments. Truly a special player, and hard not to like. You just knew when they got within a try that Cleary would muster up something.

Edwards at the back is 10 times the player Walsh is, even allowing for all his flair. Walsh is skillful and flashy, but has way too many errors at the minute.

They played for each other and the badge. They have earned their spot in history.
Well said mate. I’ve got a soft spot for the Panthers as I live around the area, ( by choice for all you cork sniffers out there). I thought both teams played well but Cleary was the difference in the end. One for the ages!

Was the 6 again just before Panthers scored the only 6 again for the game? I dont think I saw anymore all game and no annoying hasnt played the ball correctly penalties either.
Yep - the ref's stuff up every other game of the season with questionable set restarts, ruck infringements etc and when they have the teams they want in the grand final they go "Ahh, stuff it - just play footy, guys."

Gardenia

Juniors
Glad Penrith won.

I would have liked to see someone else win for a change.

Full credit to Penrith, they managed a scrappy win thanks to Clearys brilliance. Next year will be interesting.

It was a great game of footy regardless.

TruSaint

Referee
I would have liked to see someone else win for a change.

Full credit to Penrith, they managed a scrappy win thanks to Clearys brilliance. Next year will be interesting.

Fair enough.

In my view it's refreshing to see a Club not embroiled in cap dramas dominate. Shows it can be done, was/is my point.

I think we could have won 3 in a row back in 2009-2011. Who knows what we can have continued on doing with such a streak of success.

dannyt

Coach
Yep - the ref's stuff up every other game of the season with questionable set restarts, ruck infringements etc and when they have the teams they want in the grand final they go "Ahh, stuff it - just play footy, guys."
I feel the same way. We have been a good side since 2018, but it seems our cards are marked in the first 10 minutes against the better teams.

56to66

Juniors
Time too sign Nathan and Ivan Cleary too a 1.5 million each for the next 5 years + the Broncos 5/8.
Oops we the Flanno's!

Gardenia

Juniors
Fair enough.

In my view it's refreshing to see a Club not embroiled in cap dramas dominate. Shows it can be done, was/is my point.

I think we could have won 3 in a row back in 2009-2011. Who knows what we can have continued on doing with such a streak of success.
Yes congratulations to Penrith.
they Have a big nursery much like us so it’s inspiring
yes agree re no cap dramas that part is good
I just am not a fan ….sorry.
been to games at their stadium and the fans were horrible swearing etc in front of children
Dragons fans were all class , came and cheered up our little boy who was in tears
told him you have to feel the pain to feel the glory
also think it’s motivating to see Broncs not long ago wooden spooners to go to being in a GF seriously challenging the reigning top team. haven’t been a fan of them either as a club in the past but I do like Reynolds and Kevy ANd being a young team they are growing on me.

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
Pretty much yes. I immediately said “he could be sent here” and knew it was going to be a penalty try. It was shattering.
While waiting for the decision, I was praying to the God I hadn't thought about since I was a kid. Made plenty of deals. Obviously, it didn't work.

Gareth67

First Grade
The Panthers proved what a great side they are to come from behind to overhaul the Broncos . Champion teams are able to do that , unfortunately for Brisbane it was the game they let slip through their fingers .

My heart goes out to them , however they shall learn from this experience and come back bigger and better .

One last observation - their backline was tremendous , cutting the Penrith defence to pieces , but the game is 80 minutes , not 57 and that was when they seemed to believe that the trophy was theirs and lost their concentration .

jeffdragon

Bench
Well it is over for another year. Penrith are the deserved winners and created history for this century to date. Ivan Cleary has done better than Bennett, Bellamy, Robinson, Hasler, Stuart, etc insofar as being able to win a threepeat since the turn into the 2000 millenium.

The Broncos have another hard luck story to add to their 2015 loss. They will be in the top 4 for sure next year so they might be able to get into the grand final again against the Panthers who I think will be going for a fourpeat.

Our chances of making the grand final next year aren't terrific and for that matter for a few years afterwards, but I do hope that we can at least make the top 4 in say two years, that is in 2026.

Anyway, our big thing is the signings that we have been patiently waiting for so that we can better assess our chances in 2023 and if we are destined for the spoon.
Somehow I think we won't sign many for next year.
So far only 2.
I think Flano is targeting 2025.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Glad Penrith won.

My thoughts exactly - Penrith deserve all the accolades they get. Of the 17 players lined up for the grand final, 13 of them debuted for Penrith. Pretty impressive.

Latest posts