What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

shewi6

Juniors
Broncos pay $400k a game rental for suncorp so yes you’d think an extra $600k ticket sales plus the much better corporate facilities would more than cover the extra cost. The joys of bringing another suburban club into the nrl, they bring the mentality with them.
Yep exactly and that would be at a minimum too so they are missing out on a bit of dough. But I just think the damage to their image is much worse playing out of that dump for a second brisbane team.

The only reason I can think as to why they are doing it is the naming rights sponsorship with kayo, I don't know what the value per year is but I imagine it is contingent on having NRL games played there.

Iamback

Coach
Yep exactly and that would be at a minimum too so they are missing out on a bit of dough. But I just think the damage to their image is much worse playing out of that dump for a second brisbane team.

The only reason I can think as to why they are doing it is the naming rights sponsorship with kayo, I don't know what the value per year is but I imagine it is contingent on having NRL games played there.

Their Leagues Club flogs off Corporate events too. If they lost money from it then they wouldn't play there

shewi6

Juniors
Their Leagues Club flogs off Corporate events too. If they lost money from it then they wouldn't play there
And how many people fit on that little verandah and how much can they charge compared to the the thousands of spaces in the corporate suites of suncorp?

They probably do make profit at kayo, but is it more than what could be achieved at suncorp? I very much doubt it.

Iamback

Coach
And how many people fit on that little verandah and how much can they charge compared to the the thousands of spaces in the corporate suites of suncorp?

They probably do make profit at kayo, but is it more than what could be achieved at suncorp? I very much doubt it.

Depends what the break even figure is for Suncorp. Sunday night wouldn't be the best night to attract Corporates and enough Casual fans to get much more than 30k

If they need to sell 20k tickets before cracking a profit then for them they are better at the ground they own which is almost free to host.

They'd have to have staff there for the QCup game anyway.

wests1

Juniors
The biggest risk in the early rounds is the number of matches at grounds with capacities less than 20K.

Round 2 has Cronulla (13.5K), Manly (17.5K), Redcliffe (10.5K)
Round 3 has Christchurch (17K), Belmore (18K), Kogarah (18K), Leichhardt (18K)

We need a strong start before the traditional mid-season lull. Having too many games at smaller venues limits our ability to keep the average above 20K for as long as possible.
I know what you mean in terms of figures, but I’m more talking about perception. I know small grounds can look amateur (I actually reckon Redcliffe looks ok as far as small grounds go), but the fact that they’re full is such a massive improvement on years gone by.
Seriously, for those of us who are passionate leaguies and lived through the super league war and subsequent years, the image of empty stands (even at suburban grounds) was really demoralising. The current figures will obviously tell their story, the images might tell a more optimistic story.
This is all not to say that I don’t think we should aim higher and all that. And I agree on some of the choices for the dolphins, I’m just so glad we’re talking about positive issues.

shewi6

Juniors
Depends what the break even figure is for Suncorp. Sunday night wouldn't be the best night to attract Corporates and enough Casual fans to get much more than 30k

If they need to sell 20k tickets before cracking a profit then for them they are better at the ground they own which is almost free to host.

They'd have to have staff there for the QCup game anyway.
It's hard to know without all the data but if perth red is right in that the cost of suncorp is $400k a game then it can be assumed breakeven would be achieved with a crowd of 10k going by the average ticket cost at suncorp, thats without any corporate revenue.

Assuming revenue at kayo is mostly profit, then you can say a 20k suncorp crowd makes as much if not more than 10k at kayo.
But obviously the aim for the dolphins should be crowds of 20 to 30k for the lower supported teams and 30k+ for qld derbies and games against NZ and melbourne with their large qld fanbases.

But really it is also more about the image they are putting out where they are literally the second biggest NRL team yet they choose to have a quarter of their games in a small ground, even smaller than cronulla’s reduced capacity ground, it is madness really.

Hopefully it doesn't continue in the future, just my opinion.

Iamback

Coach
It's hard to know without all the data but if perth red is right in that the cost of suncorp is $400k a game then it can be assumed breakeven would be achieved with a crowd of 10k going by the average ticket cost at suncorp, thats without any corporate revenue.

Assuming revenue at kayo is mostly profit, then you can say a 20k suncorp crowd makes as much if not more than 10k at kayo.
But obviously the aim for the dolphins should be crowds of 20 to 30k for the lower supported teams and 30k+ for qld derbies and games against NZ and melbourne with their large qld fanbases.

But really it is also more about the image they are putting out where they are literally the second biggest NRL team yet they choose to have a quarter of their games in a small ground, even smaller than cronulla’s reduced capacity ground, it is madness really.

Hopefully it doesn't continue in the future, just my opinion.

The $400k if that is the figure wouldn't include the boxes.

The issue is imo the lack of a suitable 30k seater in Brisbane, It isn't so bad for the Broncos due to how long they have been in the comp.

Dolphins will get there but look at the other rectangle codes at Suncorp, empty seats galore

shewi6

Juniors
I'm not too worried about how other codes look at suncorp lol

I think for club games it is perfect right now. It would be great if the broncos can push past a 40k average in the near future and that will bring some FOMO for fans and push the dolphins to 30k+ average fulltime at suncorp.

Similiar to the situation in perth with their afl teams. Then that would be a good time to push for capacity upgrades or maybe a third brisbane team.

Iamback

Coach
Kind of agree with you. 10k stadiums should be used rarely if at all to grow our average.

NRL is a TV product though.

The clubs have no say over when they are given games.

I small ground full looks good on TV and IF it is more profitable for the clubs than Crowds are secondary to that

EuroNymous

Juniors
Those seats on the sides have filled up since kick off but yeh plenty of empty seats.

I'm guessing those are members or season ticket holders who didn't turn up?
yeah looks like it cause the GA section looks completely full

Perth Red

Post Whore
Realistically how much money could the dolphins actually make on a 10k crowd at redcliffe even accounting for low costs?

The tickets are cheaper than what you can charge at suncorp and there is literally no corporate dollars to be made in comparison.

A direct comparison from last year is souths, where the crowd was 22.5k on a thursday night and this year it is at redcliffe and will get max 10k.
Are the dolphins really saying that an extra 12.5k at $50 a ticket and all the corporate packages doesn't cover the difference in ground rental?
Broncos pay $400k a game rental for suncorp so yes you’d think an extra $600k ticket sales plus the much better corporate facilities would more than cover the extra cost. The joys of bringing another suburban club into the nrl, they bring the mentality with them.