What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

beave

Coach
They must have negotiated the shittest deal of all time with Stadiums Queensland
i hate being a "couch fan" as i've always mentally made a promise to myself that if the cowbs are playing within 200kms, I'd be there to support but i honestly cannot be f**ked watching them shit it up and paying through the nose to do so.

I'd rather go spend the cash and time watching the girls play on Thursday night.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
i hate being a "couch fan" as i've always mentally made a promise to myself that if the cowbs are playing within 200kms, I'd be there to support but i honestly cannot be f**ked watching them shit it up and paying through the nose to do so.

I'd rather go spend the cash and time watching the girls play on Thursday night.
I share the same sentiment. It's the rain and atmosphere that scares me away these days too.

CBUS is Queensland's answer to Accor too. Soulless, boring place. No good vibes unless it is a final.

Are there any ways that genuine fans, who go to games and want to go to more games, can get across the legitimate reasons why they sometimes choose to stay away? By legitimate, I mean factors like pricing, ticket release, etc, rather than the form of the team they support.

Who needs to hear it - the clubs, Abdo and PVL, the media?

beave

Coach
Are there any ways that genuine fans, who go to games and want to go to more games, can get across the legitimate reasons why they sometimes choose to stay away? By legitimate, I mean factors like pricing, ticket release, etc, rather than the form of the team they support.

Who needs to hear it - the clubs, Abdo and PVL, the media?

NRL don't set the pricing, you'll find the pricing for tomorrow at the GC is about 25% inflated because NQ is playing (supply and demand tingz) and set by the Titans.

beave

Coach
I share the same sentiment. It's the rain and atmosphere that scares me away these days too.

CBUS is Queensland's answer to Accor too. Soulless, boring place. No good vibes unless it is a final.
yeah it's an Ikea flat pack stadium that lacks character. Beer analogy, CBUS is Powers Gold and QCB is a high end microbrewery.

50% chance of rain tomorrow as well.

APPSY

Juniors
Just would like to point out with the CBUS ticket prices that it was mainly the club who opted to move from Ticketek to Ticketmaster for 5 years. In a pre season members meeting, Our CEO stated that prices would be going up across all ticketing (standard games, memberships, etc.) due to 'operating' costs. Ticketmaster allows clubs to set the prices for their seats, discount them, etc. Hence why you are seeing a bottom two club with a 1-7 selling sideline seats for $100+ with fees included. On game day if you rock up to the ticketing booth however, you can get them for cheaper.

I personally believe it is a rort and a half. Every home game this season has been affected for us due to the insane sideline prices. Obviously our performance on field as well, but there's no reason for a sideline seat to be that much for every single game. Vs Bronx I get due to the SEQ connection. I'd get it if we were top 4. But we aren't. We are currently cellar dwellers, and have been for quite some time.

Vee

First Grade

Down from Cairns for a course, going to both and Magic Round.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Culture breeds culture, particularly with attendance. People go to sporting events for the crowd atmosphere and attending the game in person becomes like a higher tier rank for what constitutes a loyal fan. I think people will be surprised at how quickly the NRL will go from 20k to 25k average. It will get to the point where the main limiting factor is stadium size.
That's the biggie isn't it.

Shark Park 17k when done
Leichardt / Campbeltown - 17kish
Brookvale - 17kish
Penrith 25k (I think???) when done

All of these clubs could obviously average higher with a bigger stadium. The solution is probably more event games. Need to work out a way for each Sydney club to have a couple of event games / double headers a year to really help push their average up.

Souths, Roosters, Dargons, Manly, Sharks and maybe Tigers could work together to have a few double header / event games at Allianz

Tigers, Dogs, Eels, Panthers and maybe Souths could participate in some double header / event games at Accor.

Storm are continually building their averages which is awesome, as their averages starts to creep up to 25k (hopefully over the next 5 years) they can start taking one or two marquee games to Docklands to try and push for more than 30k in attendance (not the Anzac game though as it benefits from walk up from the MCG).

Warriors can try one or two marquee games at Eden Park (or hopefully get a ground upgrade / new ground altogether) to push them up.

That's the biggie isn't it.

Shark Park 17k when done
Leichardt / Campbeltown - 17kish
Brookvale - 17kish
Penrith 25k (I think???) when done

All of these clubs could obviously average higher with a bigger stadium. The solution is probably more event games. Need to work out a way for each Sydney club to have a couple of event games / double headers a year to really help push their average up.

Souths, Roosters, Dargons, Manly, Sharks and maybe Tigers could work together to have a few double header / event games at Allianz

Tigers, Dogs, Eels, Panthers and maybe Souths could participate in some double header / event games at Accor.

Storm are continually building their averages which is awesome, as their averages starts to creep up to 25k (hopefully over the next 5 years) they can start taking one or two marquee games to Docklands to try and push for more than 30k in attendance (not the Anzac game though as it benefits from walk up from the MCG).

Warriors can try one or two marquee games at Eden Park (or hopefully get a ground upgrade / new ground altogether) to push them up.
Manly CEO Tony Mestrov has publicly stated that a 17k stadium isn`t big enough for an NRL team, 25k is a minimum, so we know what Manly are aiming for.
I like the idea of marquee games at Allianz etc. and think it is probably possible that the clubs with smaller grounds realise what they are missing out on as our attendance culture grows.
The one area I think you may have missed though is the potential for women`s game to fulfil the double-header role for these events, especially if we can continue to grow that comp and cement its` position as the premier women`s `rugby` competition in the world.

Latest posts