What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I agree that we count the crowds announced for each game rather than day. The tickets are priced accordingly - ie - you pay an increased ticket price for 2 or 3 games, so you should be counted separately for 2 or 3 games or whichever games you are scanned in for.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Million dollar question. I’d count them individually tbh. Used to think differently. But each game has its own crowd and people buy tickets to multiple games.
Yes, it's right to count them individually. If fans pay for three games and attend three games, the attendance is legitimate.

Pricing etc is irrelevant because all games have freebies / 2 for 1 pricing etc. Plus we are measuring attendance, not revenue from attendance.

The NRL is very good at event games and the Magic Round as an event has been very successful at helping with increased attendance.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not sure whether it's been mentioned but Qld has paid and signed on to keep MR in Brisbane for 25 and 26. In the CM in recent days.
Nice! In terms of travelling fans (which is what State Govts want with these events), it's probably just as valuable as having the GF

Iamback

Coach
I agree that we count the crowds announced for each game rather than day. The tickets are priced accordingly - ie - you pay an increased ticket price for 2 or 3 games, so you should be counted separately for 2 or 3 games or whichever games you are scanned in for.

That is how the GF is broken down. It makes sense as you have the numbers in the system at x point in the game

Omott91

Juniors
In my opinion it should be the round total divided by the 8 games. Otherwise it artificially skews averages not giving a true reflection. Manly getting 50k for example shouldn't be included in their overall season average.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In my opinion it should be the round total divided by the 8 games. Otherwise it artificially skews averages not giving a true reflection. Manly getting 50k for example shouldn't be included in their overall season average.
Its better to exclude it all together tbh as it has no real relevance to a clubs home crowd avg, similar with regional games that draw sub 10k's.

Iamback

Coach

So those fans that sit through the 6pm game on Friday aren't counted for the Manly game?

Iamback

Coach
Apparently not

It really isn't that hard.

NRL is running an event where people can watch multiple games.

They have the ability to check how many people are in at a certain time.

That ticket can't be re-sold so whoever has scanned in at that point is counted as the crowd

Vlad59

Juniors

That ticket can't be re-sold so whoever has scanned in at that point is counted as the crowd
I know but for some the concept is too much.

RedVee

First Grade

But do they know if they leave?

shewi6

Juniors

It isn't hard no.
I like that the nrl states how many people were there for each game, but it is ultimately meaningless.

The fact is there are 150k people in attendance across the 3 days and 8 games. Which is how it should count in the end of season totals, total attendance (i.e tickets sold) divided by the 8 games.

Claiming 400k people attended is just laughable and disingenuous. It is not how the nrl or media presents it either.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
But do they know if they leave?
Yep - the exit gates at Suncorp will have attendants with scan in and out facilities. The stadium will know exactly how many people are in at one point.

They've gone away from the paper pass in and pass outs. Some people last year were going to some games and giving mates their tickets to go back in.

docbrown

Coach
If you're paying for 2 games you should get counted for 2. Same for 3. It's common sense.