What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R12 Sat - Cronulla 0-42 Penrith @ PointsBet

Round 12: Cronulla v Penrith

• Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coolumsharkie

Referee
Nice that the Riff fans are noticing the change. It's pretty hard to compare teams from any season really with all the all the changes that occur over time. I reckon your 22' team was one of the best ever.

Really hope both teams get to play each other at their best this year.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I am starting to think the Sharks are the real deal this year and based on how we have played so far I think it is going to get very, very messy for us on Saturday. But considering the Bunnies were leading the comp after round 11 last year and we know how that ended for them maybe the Sharks fans might want to keep their chirpiness in check until September/October.

Woody90

Juniors
Shaping up to be game of the year so far this one. Sharks flying but PENRITH won’t want to lose 2 in a row.

mxlegend99

Referee
I think player losses and probably player burnout have hit Panthers this season.

Roster and depth has been weakened each year since 2021. The best has gotten slightly lower each season. 2021 before injuries effected us we were running up scores for fun. I feel like that was our peak and we managed to maintain it into 2022. While there is still a great core of the team now. They just look like they're going through the motions. Guys like Fish, Leota, Martin, Tago and Kenny just dont look like they are near their best. Our back 3 and Yeo probably the only ones to consistently perform in all honesty. Need a whole roster doing that to be great.

Hopefully they can get it right before it’s too late. I think our best is now about the same as Roosters, Broncos, Storm or Sharks. Our only possible advantage over them is if Cleary is fit and firing come finals. But if the pack is playing as soft as they are his form wont matter.

Valheru

Coach
Bit arrogant to say your best has us covered quite easily. You obviously haven’t seen our pack dominating in most matches this season.

Not to worry you’ll see it on Saturday night for yourself.
You will have to excuse PENRITH fans

"If we are at our best" is the first step on the long road of acknowledging what is obvious

Soon enough they will realise that it will be a long time before they get back to the 'best' they speak of.

Woody90

Juniors

"If we are at our best" is the first step on the long road of acknowledging what is obvious

Soon enough they will realise that it will be a long time before they get back to the 'best' they speak of.

As arrogant as their fans are, you’re going off way too early.

They’re still the best unit in the comp by far and have easily disposed of most teams (yours included).

Losing a game by 2 in May against a desperate team without Cleary is nothing.

Valheru

Coach
As arrogant as their fans are, you’re going off way too early.

They’re still the best unit in the comp by far and have easily disposed of most teams (yours included).

Losing a game by 2 in May against a desperate team without Cleary is nothing.
Completely disagree

Losing by 2 in May is meaningless but losing by 6 in March is meaningful?

And i'm in no way reacting to one game.

Look at the whole season. Dogs gave them trouble, Cowboys nearly came back on them, They didn't get away from wests, Manly flogged them, Parra gave them a run and Melbourne kept them to nil. Even souths kept it close for 50 minutes.

They aren't clearly the best team anymore, they can absolutely win the comp though along with four other teams IMO.

Fangs

Coach
Penrith down on form and without their darling halfback.

Sharks have won both road trips to Melbourne and Brisbane which are both graveyards. Impressive stuff but they are due for a loss.

And seeing as I'll be there in person I'm sure the team will out in their best performance.

Woody90

Juniors
Completely disagree

Look at the whole season. Dogs gave them trouble, Cowboys nearly came back on them, They didn't get away from wests, Manly flogged them, Parra gave them a run and Melbourne kept them to nil. Even souths kept it close for 50 minutes.

They aren't clearly the best team anymore, they can absolutely win the comp though along with four other teams IMO.

The difference is after winning 3 comps in a row + minor premierships they’ve built up the right to be given the benefit of the doubt. No other teams have.

They dropped games last year too. Including against the Tigers.

Sure they’re a bit down on last year currently but it’s May and they’ve not had Cleary for most of the year. This time last year Souths were pretty close to leading the comp.

If they’re up there come September and have Cleary back it will be hard for any other team to beat them as they’ll 100% go to another level and know how to win when it matters.

soc123_au

Staff member
Completely disagree

Still got the best defense in the comp even playing like a disinterested rabble. Ivan just likes to mix shit up and win in different ways, this year seems to be barely do enough to get the 2 points, it's not going to work every week, but still has us sitting comfortably in the top 4. If we bumble along like this until post Origin and then start getting serious, we will be fine.

Valheru

Coach
Still got the best defense in the comp even playing like a disinterested rabble. Ivan just likes to mix shit up and win in different ways, this year seems to be barely do enough to get the 2 points, it's not going to work every week, but still has us sitting comfortably in the top 4. If we bumble along like this until post Origin and then start getting serious, we will be fine.
I did say they are one of 5 teams that can win the comp.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Panthers are still a very good team but they're no longer the dominant team they used to be, which can be expected due to the poaching of so many players the last few years. Next year gets no easier with Luai and JFH gone.

Still very good defensively which is a systems thing, so they'll always be there abouts. Defense wins comps.

Panther Mike

Juniors
We could well be in trouble here away to the form team of the comp.
I think our best was shown when we were pumping the Broncos in Round 3 and Cleary was on fire in that game. However he’s been injured ever since and people are starting to admit the obvious rather than deny it, that we aren’t as good without him. Especially with the kicking game and our attacking shape.

Stinkfinger

Juniors

If that is correct, what a run it's been. Last time your lot won 3 in a row it was 8 rounds and no finals.

Latest posts