What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R6 Thu - Newcastle 20-22 Sydney @ McDonald Jones

Round 6: Newcastle v Sydney

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 6
Newcastle Knights v Sydney Roosters
McDonald Jones Stadium,
New Lambton / Awabakal (TICKETS)

Thursday 11 April 2024
NRL kickoff 7:50pm

Broadcast on Nine, 9Now, Fox, Kayo

NEWCASTLE2024.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Thomas Jenkins 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Enari Tuala 6. Jack Cogger 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Leo Thompson 11. Dylan Lucas 12. Kai Pearce-Paul 13. Adam Elliott 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker 18. Jed Cartwright 19. Brodie Jones 20. Tyson Gamble 21. Will Pryce 22. Greg Marzhew

In: Jed Cartwright (reserve), Brodie Jones (reserve), Tyson Gamble (reserve), Will Pryce (reserve), Greg Marzhew (reserve)

SYDNEY2024.png

1. Joseph Manu 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Michael Jennings 4. Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii 5. Fetalaiga Pauga 6. Connor Watson 7. Luke Keary 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Brandon Smith 10. Lindsay Collins 11. Nat Butcher 12. Angus Crichton 13. Victor Radley 14. Zach Dockar-Clay 15. Naufahu Whyte 16. Sitili Tupouniua 17. Terrell May 18. Egan Butcher 19. Lewis Murphy 20. Benaiah Ioelu 21. Hugo Savala 22. Siua Wong

Out: James Tedesco (fullback), Dominic Young (wing), Sam Walker (halfback)
In: Junior Pauga (wing), Nat Butcher (second row), Zach Dockar-Clay (bench), Lewis Murphy (reserve), Benaiah Ioelu (reserve), Hugo Savala (reserve), Siua Wong (reserve)
Changes: Joseph Manu (centre to fullback), Luke Keary (five-eighth to halfback), Sitili Tupouniua (second row to bench), Connor Watson (bench to five-eighth), Michael Jennings (bench to centre)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials: David Munro, Matt Noyen
Video Referee: Chris Butler

HEAD TO HEAD - 1988 - 2023​

TOTAL​
NEWCASTLE​
SYDNEY​
DRAWN​
ALL MATCHES​
60​
21​
37​
2​
MCD. JONES​
27​
10​
17​
0​

LAST FIVE MEETINGS​

YEAR​
ROUND​
RESULT​
VENUE​
CROWD​
2021​
Round 8​
SYDNEY 38-4​
McD. Jones​
22172​
2021​
Round 19​
SYDNEY 28-8​
Sunshine Coast​
2868​
2022​
Round 1​
NEWCASTLE 20-6​
SCG​
14710​
2022​
Round 19​
SYDNEY 42-12​
McD. Jones​
13701​
2023​
Round 16​
SYDNEY 18-16​
McD. Jones​
21966​

BIGGEST WINS​

YEAR​
ROUND​
RESULT​
VENUE​
CROWD​
2000​
Round 22​
NEWCASTLE 46-12​
Marathon​
15394​
2001​
Qualifying Final​
NEWCASTLE 40-6​
Marathon​
22061​
2004​
Round 15​
SYDNEY 48-4​
Aussie​
11678​

LAST THREE MATCHES​

Round 3​
Round 4​
Round 5​
NEWCASTLE​
MELBOURNE​
W 14-12​
WARRIORS​
L 12-20​
ST GEO ILLA​
W 30-10​
SYDNEY​
SOUTHS​
W 48-6​
PENRITH​
L 16-22​
CANTERBURY​
L 26-30​

NEXT FOUR MATCHES​

Round 7​
Round 8​
Round 9​
Round 10​
NEWCASTLE​
CANTERBURY (A)​
DOLPHINS (A)​
WARRIORS (H)​
WESTS TIGERS (A)​
SYDNEY​
MELBOURNE (H)​
ST GEO ILLA (A)​
BRISBANE (A)​
WARRIORS (H)​

Last edited:

yobbo84

First Grade
One of these teams will be 2 and 4 after this game. Wild.

There's a few clubs in 2024 actually that are struggling and must be loving how shit Souths are - saving them some headlines/media pressure.

Apey

Staff member
Like last year's fixture, a game we should 100% win, but will probably manage to lose.

perverse

Referee
One of these teams will be 2 and 4 after this game. Wild.

There's a few clubs in 2024 actually that are struggling and must be loving how shit Souths are - saving them some headlines/media pressure.
I think both teams have showed some glimpses of hope this year, especially us last week against the Dragons - it was a very composed performance in the wet and comfortably the best of the year. Anyone taking the Roosters lightly on the day risks having their pants pulled down, there's still just too much class in the lineup to not be on red alert.

People will say this game, and any game we play, rests on Kalyn... and the truth is it does. Every time he goes near the ball something happens at the moment, and he's not playing his best footy yet.

If the rest of our team can give a decent account of themselves, i'm confident Ponga will be the icing on the cake... but that's the big if with us. The Roosters should try to bash us in the middle.

Woody90

Juniors
Hard game to tip. The Roosters actually worry me more with their outs than they would have at full strength. All of Walker, Young and Tedesco have all hindered them more than helped them this year and getting Manu closer to the action can only make them more dangerous. The outs will also force them into a power game through the middle and that’s the Knights real weakness.

Roosters are in this weird position where they’re in this 1 year premiership window currently. They don’t look like being able to compete with the top teams currently but you just sort of expect that at some point they’ll click (or maybe they’re just really overrated and what we’ve seen for the last few years is their ceiling with this roster - who knows. Regardless I can never trust the Knights and they will probably beat us).

The Roosters have been bashed and suspended into oblivion, which is good. But the Knights are bipolar and always find unique ways to sh*t the bed.

So on that basis, I'll go Roosters by 4.

Valheru

Coach
Hard game to tip. The Roosters actually worry me more with their outs than they would have at full strength. All of Walker, Young and Tedesco have all hindered them more than helped them this year and getting Manu closer to the action can only make them more dangerous. The outs will also force them into a power game through the middle and that’s the Knights real weakness.

Roosters are in this weird position where they’re in this 1 year premiership window currently. They don’t look like being able to compete with the top teams currently but you just sort of expect that at some point they’ll click (or maybe they’re just really overrated and what we’ve seen for the last few years is their ceiling with this roster - who knows. Regardless I can never trust the Knights and they will probably beat us).

This is objectively wrong. Teddy was our best player in each of the first 4 games. Young has had his ups and downs but was good in the Manly and Souths games. The types of games we have been in, Walker really hasn't had the chance to shine except for the souths game where he was very good.

I don't know if you're trying some reverse psychology but having those players out in no way helps us. Granted, Manu is an extremely good replacement at FB but Teddy at 1 and Manu at 4 is way better than Manu at 1 and Jennings at 4. Pauga is serviceable on the wing but Young is much preferred. Watson likely to replace Walker with Sandon Smith injured so it is a wait and see on a Keary/Watson combo.

Having said that, this team for whatever reason thrives on having a patchwork team with players out of position so I expect a good account of themselves. Also think Knights will turn up too so expecting a tight, low scoring contest.

mozza91

Coach
Christ I hope we can win this, I want to see Robbo pissing and moaning after game.
No confidence though after the game against them last year where they were missing a heap of players.

This Year?

Immortal
I think the Knights will be too slick on their edges. The Gagai/Jennings matchup should be fun.

Woody90

Juniors
This is objectively wrong. Teddy was our best player in each of the first 4 games. Young has had his ups and downs but was good in the Manly and Souths games. The types of games we have been in, Walker really hasn't had the chance to shine except for the souths game where he was very good.

I don't know if you're trying some reverse psychology but having those players out in no way helps us. Granted, Manu is an extremely good replacement at FB but Teddy at 1 and Manu at 4 is way better than Manu at 1 and Jennings at 4. Pauga is serviceable on the wing but Young is much preferred. Watson likely to replace Walker with Sandon Smith injured so it is a wait and see on a Keary/Watson combo.

Having said that, this team for whatever reason thrives on having a patchwork team with players out of position so I expect a good account of themselves. Also think Knights will turn up too so expecting a tight, low scoring contest.

Relax mate. I’m pointing out that your side still has a good chance of getting the win. In my opinion Manu is more dangerous than Tedesco, and Walker and Young have been playing poorly and the Roosters will have less errors without both.

I hope you lose though and Robbo has another blow up in the presser.

Would love to see the Roosters lose this.

Robinson’s comments re Domenic Young’s send off were disgraceful. Taaffe was knocked out cold before he hit the ground. Wouldn’t mind seeing Young do the same tackle on Robinson and then when he woke up tell him there was nothing in it…..

Robinson shouldn’t be shortened to Robbo more like Yobbo.

He’s actually a shit coach and got lucky that the Roosters God Father signed Cooper Cronk to run the team and win a couple of Premierships for him. He has had no idea on how to beat top 4 teams ever since Cronk left. Robinson’s arrogance is all to see any time he speaks. Hopefully Politis gives him his reality check sooner rather than later.

Valheru

Coach

Robinson’s comments re Domenic Young’s send off were disgraceful. Taaffe was knocked out cold before he hit the ground. Wouldn’t mind seeing Young do the same tackle on Robinson and then when he woke up tell him there was nothing in it…..

He’s actually a shit coach and got lucky that the Roosters God Father signed Cooper Cronk to run the team and win a couple of Premierships for him. He has had no idea on how to beat top 4 teams ever since Cronk left. Robinson’s arrogance is all to see any time he speaks. Hopefully Politis gives him his reality check sooner rather than later.
lol good grief

He said he thought it was a binning rather than a send off, he in no way said there was nothing in it. I don't agree with him but it ain't the most controversial opinion in history. Perhaps his baseline is the Latrell hit on Manu which only got a binning?

Anyways, Robbo Derangement Syndrome is strong on this site, he isn't going anywhere.

Yet Robinson's first premiership win was with that "beloved" NSW Origin halfback Mitchell Pearce, in 2013. So doesn't speak much about your knowledge then eh? :p

Fangs

Coach
Atmosphere on the forum is electrifying for this clash.

Both teams are garbage but I expect the Roosters to win this one. They need a response to last weeks debacle.