What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R7 Sun - Canterbury 36-12 Newcastle @ Accor

Round 7: Canterbury v Newcastle

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Newcastle Knights

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 7
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Newcastle Knights
Accor Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park / Wanngal (TICKETS)

Sunday 21 April 2024
NRL kickoff 2pm.

Broadcast live on Fox, Kayo.

CANTERBURY2024.png

1. Connor Tracey 2. Jacob Kiraz 3. Bronson Xerri 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Drew Hutchison 8. Samuel Hughes 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Chris Patolo 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Jaeman Salmon 13. Josh Curran 14. Bailey Hayward 15. Poasa Faamausili 16. Kurtis Morrin 17. Blake Taaffe 19. Toby Sexton 20. Liam Knight 21. Jake Turpin 22. Max King 23. Kitione Kautoga

In: Kurtis Morrin (bench), Blake Taaffe (bench), Toby Sexton (reserve), Liam Knight (reserve), Max King (reserve)
Changes: Stephen Crichton (fullback to centre), Connor Tracey (wing to fullback), Jacob Kiraz (centre to wing), Josh Curran (front row to lock), Jake Turpin (lock to reserve), Samuel Hughes (bench to front row), Kitione Kautoga (bench to reserve)

NEWCASTLE2024.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Greg Marzhew 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Enari Tuala 6. Jack Cogger 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Leo Thompson 11. Dylan Lucas 12. Kai Pearce-Paul 13. Adam Elliott 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker 18. Jed Cartwright 19. Brodie Jones 20. Tyson Gamble 21. David Armstrong 22. Thomas Jenkins

In: Jed Cartwright (reserve), Brodie Jones (reserve), Tyson Gamble (reserve), David Armstrong (reserve), Thomas Jenkins (reserve)

A-REF-BW-2023TEAM.png

Referee: Peter Gough
Sideline Officials: Clayton Wills, Phil Henderson
Video Referee: Wyatt Raymond

HEAD TO HEAD - 1988 - 2023​

TOTALCANTERBURYNEWCASTLEDRAWN
ALL MATCHES5528261
ACCOR15870

LAST FIVE MEETINGS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2021Round 23NEWCASTLE 22-16Cbus Super2343
2022Round 10NEWCASTLE 16-6Suncorp30220
2022Round 20CANTERBURY 24-10McD. Jones19813
2023Round 18NEWCASTLE 66-0Accor11004
2023Round 24NEWCASTLE 42-6McD. Jones23464

BIGGEST WINS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2004Round 25CANTERBURY 52-6Telstra20043
2023Round 18NEWCASTLE 66-0Accor11004

NEXT FOUR MATCHES​

Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11
CANTERBURY(BYE)WESTS TIGERS (H)PENRITH (A)CANBERRA (A)
NEWCASTLEDOLPHINS (A)WARRIORS (H)WESTS TIGERS (A)GOLD COAST (A)

LAST THREE MATCHES​

Round 4 Round 5 Round 6
CANTERBURYSOUTHSL 16-20SYDNEYW 30-26MELBOURNEL 14-16
NEWCASTLEWARRIORSL 12-20ST GEO ILLAW 30-10SYDNEYL 20-22

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Interesting game, both teams going ok but sitting at 2-4. Dogs look to have something about them so them to win by a try

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Toughest game to pick. You would think Newy would be obvious going on nothing but the paper, but the Doggies have shown some real guts and grit so far this season. If Ponga has a day out, Newy by 13+, If he's quiet, the Dogs will give it a very real shake.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Newcastle will be too good here and win by 10 because Hutchinson is just no good in this bulldogs team, or any other nrl team for that matter.

perverse

Referee
Viliame Kikau running at Jack Cogger all night. Yeah, this'll end well for us. Blind Freddy and his dog can see the mismatch, Adam O'Brien will walk blindly into it humming the Smurfs theme in his head.

ouwet

Bench
108-6 was the combined scores of the 2 games last year!
That 66-0 game was the lowest point for the Bulldogs in decades IMO.

Let's see how much we've improved Sunday.

Grapple

Bench
We will win this. For the first time this season I am confident. Don't let me down Canterbury, i've only just started coming around to your unwanted advances.

Fangs

Coach
Viliame Kikau running at Jack Cogger all night. Yeah, this'll end well for us. Blind Freddy and his dog can see the mismatch, Adam O'Brien will walk blindly into it humming the Smurfs theme in his head.

Cogger dropped for Gamble.

I get the Kikau thing. Cogger isn't a great defender at all. But the chopping and changing of the halves is a problem.

It's all unforced as well. So when injuries strike (Which they will) or Ponga plays Origin then the Knights will make further changes.

perverse

Referee
Cogger dropped for Gamble.

I get the Kikau thing. Cogger isn't a great defender at all. But the chopping and changing of the halves is a problem.

It's all unforced as well. So when injuries strike (Which they will) or Ponga plays Origin then the Knights will make further changes.
It is, but for mine O'Brien got himself into this mess by listening to the media with Cogger to begin with, and Gamble never really deserved to lose his spot. He wasn't on fire to start the year, but he was defending well and does a lot of off-the-ball stuff for the team too. He's vocal on the field and we need that.

Gamble is also yeah, a much better defender, and at least has a crack every single week. Personally I'm hoping the Cogger experiment is over. Offers nothing that Hastings doesn't do better. Gamble and Hastings both proved themselves serviceable last year over an extended period. There's plenty more blokes in the team that aren't pulling their weight in and around the middle of the field.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think Knights get this, they have a little too much class for the real lower sides, we saw it against Saints. Newcastle 24-10.

Woody90

Juniors
It’s only round 7 and we’ve already trialled a million halves combinations and are now back to our normal halves again. Lmao. We deserve whatever we get.

Not that I have an issue with Gamble getting back into the side. He never should have been dropped to begin with.

Fangs

Coach
It is, but for mine O'Brien got himself into this mess by listening to the media with Cogger to begin with, and Gamble never really deserved to lose his spot. He wasn't on fire to start the year, but he was defending well and does a lot of off-the-ball stuff for the team too. He's vocal on the field and we need that.

Gamble is also yeah, a much better defender, and at least has a crack every single week. Personally I'm hoping the Cogger experiment is over. Offers nothing that Hastings doesn't do better. Gamble and Hastings both proved themselves serviceable last year over an extended period. There's plenty more blokes in the team that aren't pulling their weight in and around the middle of the field.

We got the best of him at Penrith and even then he was getting burnt on the outside fairly often. He is a bit slow.

I didn't expect him in reserves round 1. I thought he was purchased to take the lead but his form doesn't warrant it at all.

Woody90

Juniors
We got the best of him at Penrith and even then he was getting burnt on the outside fairly often. He is a bit slow.

I didn't expect him in reserves round 1. I thought he was purchased to take the lead but his form doesn't warrant it at all.

Nah we purchased him as a backup/replacement for Clune well before the GF appearance.

After that 20 minutes though there was an extremely vocal group in the media, Johns boys included, pushing for him to be in the side that got louder after the first 2 losses. AOB stupidly fell for the misplaced Cogger hype.

perverse

Referee

He was purchased to be our replacement for Adam Clune, but then he went on to have an alright 20 minutes in the grand final and the media got super frothy on him. I hope everyone's over it by now, because he's fine as our depth halfback.

Fangs

Coach
Nah we purchased him as a backup/replacement for Clune well before the GF appearance.

After that 20 minutes though there was an extremely vocal group in the media, Johns boys included, pushing for him to be in the side that got louder after the first 2 losses. AOB stupidly fell for the misplaced Cogger hype.

Not good for AOB then. They are the last people he should be listening to. Soon enough he will be joining them.

Fangs

Coach
He was purchased to be our replacement for Adam Clune, but then he went on to have an alright 20 minutes in the grand final and the media got super frothy on him. I hope everyone's over it by now, because he's fine as our depth halfback.

Besides that 20 he did a pretty decent job filling in for Cleary while he was out with a hamstring injury for 6 weeks. Looked capable enough but it's a tougher gig at Newcastle.