What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 2 - Vs Broncos

callmack1

Staff member
Excited to be heading into a new, fresh week and even more excited and ready to get into the second Round of this 2024 competition. This will be our first game on Australian soil for the Regular Season and while Vegas was great, it'll be really nice to be back into some form of normality. Can't wait for this one as the boys travel up to Brisbane on Thursday night to take on the Broncos in an absolute blockbuster. It might still be Sunday, but I am pumped for this one!!

We've built up a bit of a rivalry with the Broncos in recent years. Ever since the whole Bennett-Seibold thing, there's certainly been a bit of feeling between the two clubs. And while both those coaches are no longer at either club, the feeling of dislike still remains, I'm sure. At least, it does for me. That feeling is probably fueled now by Reynolds' departure to them. Would love to get one over him again! Especially after the way things ended up last year.

Look, there's no two ways about it, there's no way to sugarcoat it, this is going to be an extremely big challenge on Thursday night. Like, huge. Brisbane are one of the genuine heavyweights of this competition and are one of the hardest teams to play against as it stands, especially at their home ground. They've got a team full of superstars and what's even worse, is that they lost Round 1 so will be looking for a bounce back in a big way. While at our best we can be a competition heavyweight, we are far from that at the moment and heading into Round 2, there are still massive question marks hanging over us. We really let ourselves down in the last 30 minutes of Round 1, so this week is all about bouncing back ourselves and proving to everyone that we still deserve to be in the conversation. Going up to Brizzy and getting a result would make a massive statement. Will go into tactics later in the week as we build up to kick off but for now, I'll just say I really want to see a response from the boys this week. A massive response.

Rise to the challenge lads.

Let's goooooo.

callmack1

Staff member
Some talk on other forums that Tass should be dropped.

I agree with many that Tass had a very rocks and diamonds game In Round 1 and there's some argument that if we're going to bag Kennar, we should be slagging him too. But the thing is, we know what Tassy is capable of and we know he can be a solid, serviceable NRL center. Kennar on the other hand, hasn't been up to it since he played here in 2018.

I know you shouldn't pick on reputation but I'm far more comfortable with Tassy staying and Kennar being replaced, than the other way around.

Gday all rabbitohs i believe a few losses in a row will work in souths favour #7 + #9 are the two most important positions on the paddock we have a very good #9 but we don't have a very good #7 as i said in my first post today if Jack wighton aint #6 and cody #7 its all down hill from there from round 3 onwards.On Thursday nights game id use hawkins not ilias luckily the donkeys lost 4 players from last year's squad and bought no one palasia, fleglar Farnsworth, and capewell that will work in our favour but not enough because old man reyno with niggling injuries will still out play and out score ilias on the night its sadly inevitable.i think with my head and not with my heart ile ride souths all the way as always sorry I'm just not confident and we may get flogged by the rorters next week dudmetriou won't drop ilias for Jack wighton to #6 and cody @#7 how bizaare..

Some talk on other forums that Tass should be dropped.

I agree with many that Tass had a very rocks and diamonds game In Round 1 and there's some argument that if we're going to bag Kennar, we should be slagging him too. But the thing is, we know what Tassy is capable of and we know he can be a solid, serviceable NRL center. Kennar on the other hand, hasn't been up to it since he played here in 2018.

I know you shouldn't pick on reputation but I'm far more comfortable with Tassy staying and Kennar being replaced, than the other way around.
yes tass over kennar all day long.

callmack1

Staff member

There's a few talking points to come out of this footage. Keep it mind it was a Sunday session but because it's a Thursday night game and it's a shortened week, I'd say this would've been one of their main sessions.

Now, look away Souths fans, Richie trained in the red which indicates he'll get picked again. Not happy with that, Taane nowhere to be seen. It appears our backline will be unchanged.

The pack, at least in this session, has a lot of interest in it though. The biggest talking point is that Jai went out there originally in a red shirt (starting 13), but was told to change into a green shirt so this would indicate to me that he'll be coming off the bench on Thursday. In terms of who replaces him, it was unclear as there wasn't anyone obvious training in the red. However, Liva was wearing red so could this mean he starts at lock with Cam on the right edge? I don't mind that if so because Liva looked really good there. He's no Cam Murray but. The other thing was that there was no sign of Tatola which is a bit of a worry. I really hope he's okay. Tom trained in the red and I'm assuming that was in place of him.

Interesting as we get close to team list Tuesday.

callmack1

Staff member
With all that in mind, here's my predicted line up for Round 2,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Kennar
4. Tass
5. Gagai
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Keppie
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Havili
15. Host
16. Moale
17. Burgess

You just know JD will basically go with the same side. You just know it. This is what will be named but I don't think it's what we'll run out with come Thursday night. I kind of ran through what I think might be happening in the post above.

Steenson123

Juniors
Exactl
Souths are looking well off the pace to start the season. Can see Brisbane scoring 50+ here
Exactly. Back them to win big, very big. 30+. Demetriou must have a desire to be sacked soon. Kennar and Gagai together is a gift for Reynolds up there a true gift!!

Steenson123

Juniors
Kennar and Havili are both slugs barely at Reserve Grade standard. Yet they continue to be in the squad. Shaq M and Tom B both should have significant playing time. Moale should be in Reserve Grade, if at the club at all.
The only question is when does Management intervene and get rid of Demetriou? Surely the man is on a very short leash!

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Kennar and Havili are both slugs barely at Reserve Grade standard. Yet they continue to be in the squad. Shaq M and Tom B both should have significant playing time. Moale should be in Reserve Grade, if at the club at all.
The only question is when does Management intervene and get rid of Demetriou? Surely the man is on a very short leash!
Sorry,,,I agree about Kennar but feel Havili always offers some extremely strong straight running and great defence.

I'd have Thompson on the wing and put milne with tass in the centres and sack ilias and put Dean hawkins at #7

Pauly1

Juniors
Wow, we have the softest pack forwards in the comp!
Tom Burgess is the best metre eater and he is on the bench!
No agressive forward in the starting pack, they look like altar boys.
Illias , Moale and Kalamatongi should be dropped. Hawkins to half and Shaq and Chee Kim.
I still don't understand why we didn't try to get Nathan Brown back when he was cut loose by Parra? That JD has no idea.
I hope we get flogged 60 + points and sack the coach.

callmack1

Staff member

Team List Tuesday!!! I've been out tonight and was itching to get home and see the team.

Well, there wasn't a hell of a lot to get excited about. I can't believe JD has still named Kennar over Milne. Ridiculous. And now there's rumours that Gagai is getting dropped (when he played well in Round 1) and both Taane and Richie are playing?? That is just crazy! I really hope that's not how they run out on Thursday night.

I can't see the pack and bench run out like that either. With all middles on the bench, that tells me that Cam will play edge with Havili and Duncan sharing the lock role. In this situation against a top side, I like that, and I hope that's what happens. I'd still be content if Tallis plays on the edge, but it's just a weird bench for that to be the case. Really excited to see more of Tallis and I'm happy to have Shaq back in the side.

So it's a really strange side to digest this week because it isn't definitive, and it raises a lot of questions.

I'll admit I'm very nervous but just imagine winning in this situation!!

Wow, we have the softest pack forwards in the comp!
Tom Burgess is the best metre eater and he is on the bench!
No agressive forward in the starting pack, they look like altar boys.
Illias , Moale and Kalamatongi should be dropped. Hawkins to half and Shaq and Chee Kim.
I still don't understand why we didn't try to get Nathan Brown back when he was cut loose by Parra? That JD has no idea.
I hope we get flogged 60 + points and sack the coach.

Great post