What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 4 - Vs Bulldogs

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Happy to get the win but still pessimistic about the year ahead. That's probably the smallest pack we'll play all year and got bossed.

Milne is not a winger and got let off by JAC going off at half time.

Focussing on some positives that stood out to me -
Shaq was strong but lacks the fitness to really impact a game.
Duncan was great relieving Murray which will be an asset moving forward.
Cook looked dangerous out of dummy half.
It was good to see AJ find his mojo after a slow start to the season and put us in a strong position in the lead up to a couple tries.
Wighton was strong, especially in defence.
Koala was a lot more involved and is definitely more effective on the right.
I'll add to this by saying Host was very very good.
Prepared to run the ball, and worked hard in D, made a couple of big tackles.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I am actually a massive fan of Latrell and when he signed for Souths i thought he would deliver us a premiership. It pains me to see him cop the criticism that he cops but he doesnt do himself any favours with some of his efforts that he puts in.
Agreed, his involvement still needs to be greater, and he needs to help his fowards out a bit by taking a few more of those hard runs, off kick returns or early in the tackle count when deep in our territory.

speedster

Juniors
This win reminds me of our last win against St Merge last year - a clunky, unconvincing slog against a bottom feeder. We aimed up against a form team in the mix for the finals the week after and got pumped. And the week after got put to the sword for the final game too.

Milne is a reserve grader. Tass is being found out on his less preferred side but Stretch and Tyrone are missing so they are next up. Host is also a reserve grader. Hawkins is not kicking any better than Ilias which means he's kicking very ordinary. Regarding Cody, for me our attack is too flat and therefore rushed. It used to be a thing of beauty and we got a couple of shifts away today but they need to get deeper and get back to basics before looking to cut it fine again once they are humming like they used to. Cody with a half a second more time and space will be back to his scheming best. Thing is, he's the ring master and should be the one leading the adjustments.

Thumper

Juniors
This win reminds me of our last win against St Merge last year - a clunky, unconvincing slog against a bottom feeder. We aimed up against a form team in the mix for the finals the week after and got pumped. And the week after got put to the sword for the final game too.

Milne is a reserve grader. Tass is being found out on his less preferred side but Stretch and Tyrone are missing so they are next up. Host is also a reserve grader. Hawkins is not kicking any better than Ilias which means he's kicking very ordinary. Regarding Cody, for me our attack is too flat and therefore rushed. It used to be a thing of beauty and we got a couple of shifts away today but they need to get deeper and get back to basics before looking to cut it fine again once they are humming like they used to. Cody with a half a second more time and space will be back to his scheming best. Thing is, he's the ring master and should be the one leading the adjustments.
They are flat because they are not getting any ball on the front foot. Making yardage is still an issue. Still will be while the forwards choose to run like old lady’s. Can’t do much with the ball with no go forward. Only 1 man could do that and that was Andrew Johns

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I think the big difference between Hawkins and Illias thats helping us right now is the errors. Right now we need a half that can just do the simple things right so we can regain our confidence.

Our completion rate and attitude in defence yesterday won us the game. Id rather we just fix the small things before we look at having silky smooth 2021 attack.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Agreed, his involvement still needs to be greater, and he needs to help his fowards out a bit by taking a few more of those hard runs, off kick returns or early in the tackle count when deep in our territory.

Im probably being too harsh on Latrell but this does not look like he's putting in the effort here.

Most other fullbacks would be at full flight throwing themselves at connor tracey.

snickers007

Juniors
I am actually a massive fan of Latrell and when he signed for Souths i thought he would deliver us a premiership. It pains me to see him cop the criticism that he cops but he doesnt do himself any favours with some of his efforts that he puts in.

I was at the game yesterday as a neutral fan, surrounded by Rabbits fans. And I focused a lot of my attention on Latrell. And I don't think he's overly interested at the moment.

In the first half I didn't notice him chase a single Rabbits kick. He would immediately start to walk back to his position at Fullback. Most of the time he would walk with his back to the play, and watch on the big screen. And he is by far the deepest fullback I've seen, normally 45-50m behind the Rabbits defensive line.

Everything was such low effort.

Even in attack, he rarely got out of a trot, and was quick to pass the ball rather than run it himself. I don't remember too many times taking the hard runs out of his own end.

I will say though, he must be super f**king strong. Because even from a standing start, he can bust tackles with his hips and fend. He's very hard to bring down.

I reckon he's either:
A) Unfit / Carrying an injury
B) Lazy
C) Disinterested / Depressed
D) Some combination of the above

Lots of Rabbits fans around me at the game were very critical of him yesterday.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I was at the game yesterday as a neutral fan, surrounded by Rabbits fans. And I focused a lot of my attention on Latrell. And I don't think he's overly interested at the moment.

In the first half I didn't notice him chase a single Rabbits kick. He would immediately start to walk back to his position at Fullback. Most of the time he would walk with his back to the play, and watch on the big screen. And he is by far the deepest fullback I've seen, normally 45-50m behind the Rabbits defensive line.

Everything was such low effort.

Even in attack, he rarely got out of a trot, and was quick to pass the ball rather than run it himself. I don't remember too many times taking the hard runs out of his own end.

I will say though, he must be super f**king strong. Because even from a standing start, he can bust tackles with his hips and fend. He's very hard to bring down.

I reckon he's either:
A) Unfit / Carrying an injury
B) Lazy
C) Disinterested / Depressed
D) Some combination of the above

Lots of Rabbits fans around me at the game were very critical of him yesterday.

When you look at some of the best fullbacks in the game right now e.g Edwards, Walsh, Trbojevic they seem to all have one thing in common and thats maximum effort on all plays.

If Latrell is either depressed or injured then theres only one real option and thats to move him back to Centre where the workload isnt as high and he can focus on what he does best which is breaking the line and running the ball.

I love Latrell but i think its time he matures and moves to centre where he's best and either Wighton or Jye Gray take over at fullback.

hunters

Juniors
Lol at the press saying Dogs fans booing Latrell. From my spot, many, many Souths fans booing Latrell.
Irrespective of who is doing it, I can’t imagine how f**king tiring it must be to be boo’ed every time you touch the ball. Totally understand that he is not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s not as if he has committed some huge disgrace in life that warrants that sort of response. Matt Lodge copped this sort of treatment for a month or so and that was it.

Little wonder some people think he might be depressed and it has f**k all to do with playing fullback or centre.

themacemaceman

Juniors

Im probably being too harsh on Latrell but this does not look like he's putting in the effort here.

Most other fullbacks would be at full flight throwing themselves at connor tracey.
When he made that tackle on Burton off the 20m restart he was on our own 20m line. On the first tackle or maybe zero tackle… 50m behind our defensive line.( which would have been on their 30m. Is that the normal position he should be in? Maybe for the 5th tackle?

callmack1

Staff member
Oh man, what an afternoon that was yesterday!!! I've only just jumped on the forum and caught up on everything now. Honestly, being there for my first ever Souths home game, in the Burrow with my girlfriend, best mate, and all the other fans, was a pretty damn cool experience. One of the best days of my life and it was everything I've ever dreamed of. Getting our first win of the Season on Good Friday made it all the more special. I just can't describe how amazing it was and I've never experienced anything quite like that before.

So friggin relieving to get the win and I'm a happy man today. Yea, it wasn't the prettiest of wins, but a win's a win and we need to celebrate and enjoy it for what it is. I also keep echoing in my head something a guy I met on the train said, he said we're not going to get out of this with big, flashy wins. It's the tough, gritty wins like that that get you out of it. They are the wins that build character and build a bit of belief.

I was pretty impressed with our grit. The Dogs threw so much at us and had a mountain of possession but we just held on and defended really well. Proud of that.

The ref was awful and that probably contributed to us not quite having the full performance we wanted but the result is all that matters.

Will get into more later in my match report.

callmack1

Staff member

Travitoh

First Grade
Sure did!! Honestly, I'm going to say Accor but I think that's just because it was an afternoon game and I was in the Burrow.
I've been tossing up between travelling over for either Easts or Good Friday in a future season. I'm currently leaning towards Good Friday

Hoping for a win this arvo but who knows what they will dish up ???!!!
Can’t believe a club with our roster, facilities, resources has dug itself such a hole.
The damage done over the last half of last season and the start of this season has been inexcusable and there has been NO accountability….

Please take Mr silly solly's job ASAP .