What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 RM Cup and Sydney Shield

TigerDen

Juniors
Now that the 2023 season is done and dusted, one now casts their mind to what the future for RMC & SS will look like in 2024. Will those teams that joined this season remain? Will new teams enter for next year? Will the NSWRL continue to support the disappointing Silktails. One wonders? One thing I would like to put out for discussion is the NSWRL give financial support to those clubs that previously participated before COVID - Asquith, Guildford and Windsor - to get them to return to the competition. Any thoughts?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I have been waiting for the obligatory "we are entering a team in the SS" posts.
Saying that it would be good for some pre covid teams to re appear.

For me there is something good about the Silktails, maybe its the reasoning behind it. I have heard that something like 90% of their players are under 21

rightleftin

Juniors
I have been waiting for the obligatory "we are entering a team in the SS" posts.

For me there is something good about the Silktails, maybe its the reasoning behind it. I have heard that something like 90% of their players are under 21
Does that mean the Silktails will drop out of RMC and enter Flegg?

TigerDen

Juniors

By your remarks, you are happy with the status quo. Sydney rugby league needs a stronger Third Tier competition to provide pathways for those younger players declared not up to NRL standard. For the majority of players leaving Jersey Flegg without an NRL contract the opportunities are limited. I love watching RMC and SS football, but I lament it's decline post COVID. Supporting the Silktails does nothing to improve this situation and yes let them play Jersey Flegg as the better players end up at East's anyway.

rightleftin

Juniors
It makes sense for the Silktails to drop down to Flegg. Steve Driscoll, CEO of the Silktails, was blue trainer for the Roosters in the Flegg GF.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I thought I had replied, but oh well. No I am not necessarily happy with the status quo. Growth is great. I would especially like some of the pre covid teams to return to RM and SS.
I also think NSW have not given these comps the attention they deserve and they right royally screwed up the points system. There are plenty of players that are too good for A grade but not Cup level, to me thats RM and especially SS.
But my other comment was regarding people posting that their club (or friends club) was entering one of the comps especially SS, when they hadn't been approved .

rightleftin

Juniors
I thought I had replied, but oh well. No I am not necessarily happy with the status quo. Growth is great. I would especially like some of the pre covid teams to return to RM and SS.
I also think NSW have not given these comps the attention they deserve and they right royally screwed up the points system. There are plenty of players that are too good for A grade but not Cup level, to me thats RM and especially SS.
But my other comment was regarding people posting that their club (or friends club) was entering one of the comps especially SS, when they hadn't been approved .
This reflects the problem where player numbers have plunged so much that the code virtually consists of 1st Grade and then nothing much above under 15's. The days when Club Celebrity could field 10 1st graders and not finish minor premiers in a 17 team Eastern Suburbs A Grade competition are long gone.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I thought I was noticing a slight growth in the A grade comps this year. Standard not wonderful but still blokes out there playing football with mates etc. That's a really important thing.
Seeing Bondi United playing without the old guard, mainly young men was great. Other teams show passion and getting sides together. Then some idiots from Lalor Park cause all sorts of crap and it sets it back.

TigerDen

Juniors
Couple of coaching appointments for Season 24. Brothers RMC Jake Foster, SS Darryl Hamilton. Cabbra SS Jamie Bransby. Wenty SS Nathan Carr. Any other news?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1700303193461.jpg
    FB_IMG_1700303193461.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5
  • FB_IMG_1700303208074.jpg
    FB_IMG_1700303208074.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3

Broncos93

Juniors
Glebe will have a new look side next season.

Mason McCarthy and Luke Hodge have moved to Norths.

Riley Travers to Hills

Devon Makoare-Boyce to Young Cherrypickers

Mike Pearsall, Dylan O'Connor and Peter Nay are hanging up the boots.

Harry McKeon has signed with Roosters so will stay in their pathway, but I suspect he'll mostly play NSW Cup next season.

rightleftin

Juniors
Peter Nay won a Kentwell Cup (1st Division subbies rugby union) title with Blue Mountains last year alongside Henry Seumanu, who retired after a long career with St Marys and Jake Butler Fleming, who played for Wenty a few years ago and several ex Southern Districts 1st Graders.