What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

The other issue I have is with data consistency.
This was the substance of the original query i.e. are there sufficient points of comparison with past data for a valid exercise. Or is this year-zero?
What city by city data we have seen is average, and not reach.
The gap in overall FTA Average ratings between AFL and NRL is noticeably smaller this year. Presumably due to the inclusion of regionals. The benefit thus accruing to NRL in terms of ratings table rankings is negated, vis-a-vis AFL, by the novel practice of using Reach as the determining factor.

From the figures I've seen, AFL Reach is 3-4 times Average. NRL Reach is 2-3 times Average. Most other programming is closer to the NRL ratio.

In tables where AFL is top, they were only top on Reach. With Average the determinant, as in previous years, they would have been lower down the list, sometimes much lower.
Metro/Regional splits, and city by city are neither here nor there with me - networks are national, and their broadcasts for the most part when it comes to the NRL and AFL have national partners.
That's a surprising outlook, given the geographic split between the big two football codes in Australia. The fact that both rate so highly, despite minor-sport status in roughly half the country, demonstrates intense popularity. A matter of great interest to statisticians and advertisers, one would have thought.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
This was the substance of the original query i.e. are there sufficient points of comparison with past data for a valid exercise. Or is this year-zero?

I dont believe so at this point. And Oztam has said the new ratings are compatible with previous versions.

The gap in overall FTA Average ratings between AFL and NRL is noticeably smaller this year. Presumably due to the inclusion of regionals. The benefit thus accruing to NRL in terms of ratings table rankings is negated, vis-a-vis AFL, by the novel practice of using Reach as the determining factor.

Regionals have been available since 2013. Regionals were in VOZ from Roun d 8 last year when VOZ was introduced.

Reach is the networks grab for more money, although it does go some way to validate the feelings of AFL ratings fans who have always maintained that the ratings picture isnt quite what NRL fans want it to be.

From the figures I've seen, AFL Reach is 3-4 times Average. NRL Reach is 2-3 times Average. Most other programming is closer to the NRL ratio.

Compare it to Tennis and Cricket ratings - the session lengths are about the same as an AFL game.

In tables where AFL is top, they were only top on Reach. With Average the determinant, as in previous years, they would have been lower down the list, sometimes much lower.

Previously most media agencies really only cared about Metro ratings.

That's a surprising outlook, given the geographic split between the big two football codes in Australia.

The split is interesting, but doesnt really matter in terms of overall numbers. The data was nice to have.

RegTam is still putting out regionals - consolidated, so two weeks behind the present, but this data is very limited.

Vegas Opener: 244,000 (QLD 73,000, NNSW 99,000, SNSW 53,000, Vic 19,000)
Thu N NRL (R2): 196,000 (QLD 64,000, NNSW 79,000, SNSW 54,000 Vic 0)

The fact that both rate so highly, despite minor-sport status in roughly half the country, demonstrates intense popularity. A matter of great interest to statisticians and advertisers, one would have thought.

Indeed.

@The_Wookie this data posted by Ritchitigrub, how accurate is it.

Aggregate ratings so far in 2024. NRL 18.427m AFL 9.078m

''95% of Foxbox data missing'' ''25% of Kayo data missing'' ''99% NZ Sky data missing'
'

In particular the aggregate numbers, if true, that`s a heck of a lead after 3 rounds.

Vlad59

Juniors

''95% of Foxbox data missing'' ''25% of Kayo data missing'' ''99% NZ Sky data missing'
'

In particular the aggregate numbers, if true, that`s a heck of a lead after 3 rounds.
I’d say it’s BS

Harry O

Juniors

'

It's 100 million percent accurate. What, you don't like it that we're in the lead?

The_Wookie

Bench

'

Impossible to be accurate at the moment, while Ive been able to estimate NRL ratings for the last two seasons with pretty good accuracy, the AFL ones were overestimated, which means the early season estimates were off the mark a fair way.

Out of 23 AFL matches this season we have Fox STB ratings for TWO and Kayo Ratings for 14. We are missing FTA any ratings for about 6 FTA matches.

Out of 25 NRL matches this season we have FoxSTB ratings for SIX and Kayo Ratings for 18. We have all FTA ratings for the NRL.

8/48 STB Ratings (17% - 83% unavailable) and 32/48 Kayo Ratings (67% - 33% unavailable, but they are a week behind). Probably 95% of AFL FTA match ratings are covered.

I wouldnt hang my hat on any estimates made at this juncture.

It's 100 million percent accurate. What, you don't like it that we're in the lead?
You really are an idiot, It is in our interest to know the truth of these things, it`s the only way to plan for the future, do you think the NRL headquarters want to be fed bullshit. You might be happy to live in a child`s dream world, I want the facts.
BTW you cannot be more than 100% accurate.

Harry O

Juniors
You really are an idiot, It is in our interest to know the truth of these things, it`s the only way to plan for the future, do you think the NRL headquarters want to be fed bullshit. You might be happy to live in a child`s dream world, I want the facts.
I'll get the truth, as I know someone who works for an ratings company. I'm not going to say which company either.

Vlad59

Juniors
Good luck with this one.

The_Wookie

Bench

Ive got Harry on ignore, but I assume hes spouting bullshit again. I wrote him off as a troll a long time ago.