What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 World Club Challenge

Has the league's club still got the trophy on display.? 1968 preseason cup.
Sponsored by DA . KB . Beer and
BIG BEN Pie's. Chocolate soldiers jerseys 😄
To be honest, I’m not sure. I’ve never seen footage of the game, nor have I seen the trophy being displayed. I just remember it being mentioned in the ‘Bound for Glory’ documentary that was released back in 1991.

Definitely the Choccie Soldiers jerseys would’ve been worn.

To be honest, I’m not sure. I’ve never seen footage of the game, nor have I seen the trophy being displayed. I just remember it being mentioned in the ‘Bound for Glory’ documentary that was released back in 1991.

Definitely the Choccie Soldiers jerseys would’ve been worn.
The club wore the brown and white up until 1990 playing the first GF against Canberra.

Our first premiership was a year later in the predominantly black strip.

This was only a few years after the current Leagues club opened on Mulgoa Rd.

If I recall, before we were promoted to first division, the Penrith District Rugby League team was green and white. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Does not matter what colour our jerseys are, the side still represents the district with pride.

soc123_au

Staff member
The club wore the brown and white up until 1990 playing the first GF against Canberra.

If I recall, before we were promoted to first division, the Penrith District Rugby League team was green and white. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Does not matter what colour our jerseys are, the side still represents the district with pride.
Blue and white pre 67

TDD91

Juniors
No bans for Wigan, somehow, ahead of the WCC. Harry Smith got away with just a fine, nothing at all for Kaide Ellis.

Now just the nervous wait to hear on Leeming & Keighran's injuries before the squad is announced on Thursday. If Keighran is out, I'd expect young Zach Eckersley to be in at centre. Leeming being out could go a few ways.

John Hamblin

Juniors

The original colours were brown and yellow but the club applied to the NSW RL and got them changed to brown and white.

Bob

Juniors

How the Penrith Panthers have turned into a bush footy team​

The inclusion of Liam Henry means Penrith could boast as many as seven players from regional NSW for the World Club Challenge clash against Wigan.

Matt Encarnacion

3 min read
February 20, 2024 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e9866f24995f6d3037d07a130a433?amp#share-tools

Jack Cole is being backed for a debut in the World Club Challenge. He has his say from the UK.
Three-time reigning premiers the Panthers are not far off being a bush footy team.

They look set to unleash another promising talent off their country production line in Liam Henry for their World Club Challenge clash against Wigan on Saturday.
It is understood Henry is locked in a battle with Mavrik Geyer, the son of club legend Mark, for the bench spot vacated by Spencer Leniu following his move to the Sydney Roosters.
Should Henry, who grew up in the central west NSW town of Blayney, get the nod, almost half the 17 expected to be named by coach Ivan Cleary could be from the bush.
His call-up would be just the latest success story out of the club’s burgeoning relationship with the central corridor of NSW.
“It was 2019, I played through the Western Rams,” Henry said. “Got picked up by (Penrith recruitment manager) Jimmy Jones.
“I came down for a trial against the Chookies at St Marys, signed that month. Came down for two years, stayed at the Panthers house.
Liam Henry is slated for big things at the Panthers. Credit: NRL Images.

Liam Henry is slated for big things at the Panthers. Credit: NRL Images.
“I was pretty stoked when I was told they were interested. I couldn’t get there quick enough.”
With Orange product Jack Cole set to deputise for an injured Jarome Luai, as many as seven players who take the field at a sold-out DW Stadium will hail from regional NSW.
Panthers co-captain Isaah Yeo (Dubbo), fullback Dylan Edwards (Bellingen) and Liam Martin (Temora) all made their debuts at the club after finishing school in their home town.
Tyrone Peachey (Wellington) and Luke Garner (Bilambil) also played some of their junior footy in the bush but were recruited by Penrith from other NRL clubs.
A remarkable 14 of the 17 likely to be named on Thursday made their debuts with the Panthers.

Shane Rodney, who was part of the Panthers’ premiership-winning squad in 2003, is coach of the Western Rams, where Henry played as part of their pathways.
“He does a bit with the Orange boys out there as well,” Henry said. “Even when we were at school, the Panthers would come out and do afternoons when they’d have the Bathurst game on.
“They’d always do a clinic and I was always there as a kid kicking around.”
Henry has had to be patient for a shot with the top side. He made his first grade debut late in 2022 but added just two more appearances last year.
This article contains features which are only available in the web versionTake me there
Having been earmarked as a player of the future with a new deal until the end of 2026, the 22-year-old is now primed to replace the gaping hole left by Leniu.
Henry was one of the best players in the NSW Cup last year. He topped the league in tackles and ranked first in post-contact metres and metres among forwards.
“Any opportunity I get I try and grab with two hands and love it,” he said. “Just being at the club and such a successful environment has been good.
“You’re learning so much and trying to take that and implement it in your game.”
Mavrik Geyer is looking to replace the hole left by Sydney Roosters recruit Spencer Leniu. Credit: NRL Images.

Mavrik Geyer is looking to replace the hole left by Sydney Roosters recruit Spencer Leniu. Credit: NRL Images.
At 105kg and 190cm, Henry is regarded as a front-rower with a high motor in the mould of childhood hero Nathan Hindmarsh.
But not unlike his predecessor in Leniu, Henry has some white-line fever and has been notorious for causing injuries at training in recent years.
One particular hit on Yeo last year almost sidelined him for a finals game.
“I freaked out but it was all good in the end,” Henry said of the incident.
“I never mean to. Coming through it’s about finding the balance in training intensity. I’m just keen to be there and need to learn the safe way of it.”
“Spence is a very unique player and it’s big boots to fill. I just try and play my game and do my best for the team.”
Cleary forecast the inclusion of Henry last week.
“You can’t really replace them like-for-like because there aren’t a lot of Spencers around,” Cleary said on SEN Radio. “We have a young bloke called Liam Henry who we have high hopes for. He plays a bit differently to Spencer (but) we believe he will have a good season.”
After arriving in Manchester on Saturday, the Panthers enjoyed a rest day on Sunday and kicked off preparations in earnest with a training session at Manchester City Academy on Monday.

Whino

Bench
This says the hit-out against Warrington is tonight.

And coach Ivan Cleary is leaving no stone unturned as Penrith try to win their first World Club Challenge.

The Panthers will have an opposed session against Sam Burgess’ Warrington on Tuesday night (AEDT) and walk through Wigan’s DW Stadium to familiarise themselves with the World Club Challenge venue.

Roosters rule

Juniors
This says the hit-out against Warrington is tonight.

And coach Ivan Cleary is leaving no stone unturned as Penrith try to win their first World Club Challenge.

The Panthers will have an opposed session against Sam Burgess’ Warrington on Tuesday night (AEDT) and walk through Wigan’s DW Stadium to familiarise themselves with the World Club Challenge venue.

Yeah, it's tonight.
Sorro is carrying a leg niggle. He may miss the hit-out. Still expected to play the main game though.