What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Manly

beefstew

Juniors
I don't at all get the continuous mid field bombs. Surely aiming for the in goal is sometimes the better option. Especially when the guy you're kicking them to has caught the last 6 you've attempted.

Every team does it when they are 30-40 meters out from their opposition line(some more some less), because it's very hard to find space for a flat kick to land with both wingers back. Putting up that sort of bomb will usually end with the the ball being caught by a defender, but they will catch it inside their 20 with no space or momentum and under pressure. It's more about where on the field and how you want the opposition starting their set.

Meth

Staff member
I don't at all get the continuous mid field bombs. Surely aiming for the in goal is sometimes the better option. Especially when the guy you're kicking them to has caught the last 6 you've attempted.

Not many options when you're not making those meters on those first couple of tackles.

Iafeta

Referee
Every team does it when they are 30-40 meters out from their opposition line(some more some less), because it's very hard to find space for a flat kick to land with both wingers back. Putting up that sort of bomb will usually end with the the ball being caught by a defender, but they will catch it inside their 20 with no space or momentum and under pressure. It's more about where on the field and how you want the opposition starting their set.

Foran had no issue chipping it over the line to turn the fullback or winger around. Its lazy play from the Warriors.

Blair

Coach
3. Friend
2. Mannering
1. Laumape

Just caught the second half. We looked in the game until Hurrell (?) lost the pill at 20-12 with us on the move up. Stewart pounced, and that was so easy wasn't it?

beefstew

Juniors
Foran had no issue chipping it over the line to turn the fullback or winger around. Its lazy play from the Warriors.

He may well have, but Manly put up plenty of bombs from 30-40 meters out just like the Warriors did, it would be part of the game plan worked out well ahead of the game. Manly just look better doing it because the players chasing their bombs are just plain faster and better.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Just got back from the game, drove 2 hours each way for that shit. We were never on song today, the Stewart boys completely dominated us.

Neilson was an absolute passenger and looks like a plodder when your watching him live, might as well have Mannering in the centres.

Johnson was at least trying to get us back into the game and live at the ground was obvious that he was trying his guys out as opposed to someone like Mateo who slept through the whole game.

Hurrell and Laumape were awesome, I know Konrad made errors but he was a beast tonight.

Mannering, Friend, Locke and the props were solid without bring outstanding.

Manu was back to his rocks and diamonds.

Lowrie was mud and needs to be replaced/dropped/released.

No 3-2-1's from me today.

3 - Mannering: Showed urgency, in setting scrum and diving on ball for Johnsons try.
2 - Friend: Tackled his guts out and kept getting up for more.
1 - Laumape: Coming along nicely. Good try of the only structured play we seemed to have all game.

DCE and Foran showed what thinking halves can do.
How does the saying go, if Johnson had half a brain it would be lonely? You don't need hero plays on tackle one.
Disappointing when we stepped up against other top 4 sides to be that average.
Manu had a shocker with hands, lucky for double movement on one try.
I thought NZ had been having a warm winter, so 23 deg was to much for the boys, finals are still 4 weeks away and weather is even warmer then!

Refs disappointing but as a Warriors fan you kind of get use to the 50/50 going against you, and shocked when you get a game when they go your way.

vvvrulz

Coach
Johnson does make some stupid decisions, but thats what young players do, and it's not like he's been surrounded by a team of experienced classy players his whole career like DCE has. I think Mateo is just a selfish player.

3. Locke
2. SJ
1. Matangi has this bloke made a single error in first grade?

You tore into Manu and then gave SJ two points?

Johnson's mistakes were terrible, especially when he booted away the ball in that attacking set on tackle one. There is no way he was our second best on the park today.

On Mateo, he's a ghost right now but he needs more time on the park. He's the sort who if you give him 60+ minutes he'll lurk around and conjure up plays for you. He's not a 20 minute impact player like Elliott is playing him as.

Izz

Bench
It's no coincidence that we came into form while Lowrie was injured, just as it's no coincidence that we've been sliding since he's been back (Melbourne game notwithstanding, and tbh i thought we were lucky to win that one).

vvvrulz

Coach
It's no coincidence that we came into form while Lowrie was injured, just as it's no coincidence that we've been sliding since he's been back (Melbourne game notwithstanding, and tbh i thought we were lucky to win that one).

Lowrie sucks but he is not the reason we lost last week and today. Both the Sharks and Manly bashed our forwards and barged up the field making huge metres. And when it came to the last tackle plays they knew how to get over. Then it was just a matter of holding us off until the brain explosions come.

Both times we weren't far off the pace, but we aren't executing the final touches. We drop the ball or boot it away in crucial stages where we should be scoring tries. We don't know how to score 'ugly'.

Lowrie is a walking penalty that chews up Mateo time and should be gone, but he isn't the reason other teams are rolling us right now.

TheDMC

Bench
That game was about what I imagined, and feared it would be. We were a little out-enthused, a little outmuscled and completely out-thought. Feeble start and you can't just ease into a game when fighting for a top 8 spot playing away from home.

Apart from the mandatory dumbass penalty, I thought Lowrie was okay today, tackled well and closed some plays down, ran hard (albiet not particularly effectively). Neilsen for my mind was worse. I loved his defensive nous earlier in the season but even that has gone shaky.

Johnson should definitely probe more straight with genuine intent and then pass/skip out if nothing on - at least he'll keep the defense bunched.

All is not lost fellas - other results have gone our way but signs not so good. The positive news is if we scrape into the top 8 we will be back in form and ready to cause some damage...

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I'd like to give 3 points to that scrum set play that the warriors executed! Brilliant.

And that's about all.

Cheops

Juniors
Pretty sure Mateo was playing prop at one point. I think I know what Canberra and Panthers fans were complaining about

auckwarriors

Juniors
Looks like Elliott is learning on the job - the scrum play that netted the Laumape try was the same one Melbourne ran against us twice and had a bit of joy a few weeks ago.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Ok I've calmed down and admitted to myself that I never really thought we were going to beat manly anyway.

3. Locke
2. Rapira
1. Hurrell

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Looks like Elliott is learning on the job - the scrum play that netted the Laumape try was the same one Melbourne ran against us twice and had a bit of joy a few weeks ago.

Really like manu exploring the other side of the field on that scrum play. Just needs to not do it in front of our own posts.

Laumape is going good but I would really prefer fish outside hurrell, such an unfortunate injury for Glen.

Rich102

Staff member
3. Friend
2. Matagi
1. Laumape

Too many of our players are not putting in the effort required.

Latest posts