What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Newlands, Capetown, March 22-26, 2018

JJ

Immortal
NZ would still be shit.
and it just makes the situation at the moment weird - it's not your quicks that need help, it's your batsmen who Smith aside really are plodders by Australian standards on anything but roads... perhaps their little plan should have involved bigger bats, or sabotaging the DRS system

mave

Coach
Or we could simply start producing spicier pitches to play on, if that is even possible anymore thanks to the AFL and the drop-ins.
Would take a generational change, so unlikely to ever happen.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Anyone seen or discussed Bancroft making sure his glucose levels don't drop during the Ashes by putting some sugar in his pocket? :D

We wuz robbed! Clearly would have won had it not been for 'SugarGate'.

I won't get too pious though. As if we don't, and haven't, used similar methods as the use of sugar.

Eelectrica

Referee
Or we could simply start producing spicier pitches to play on, if that is even possible anymore thanks to the AFL and the drop-ins.
Would take a generational change, so unlikely to ever happen.
This is a huge problem. The gulf between shield cricket and test cricket seems to be getting wider. Sure we can drop Khawaja, no guarantees the player we pick in his place is going to be much better.

Suddenly we might have a few massive holes to fill. It wouldn't be a surprise if Warner and Smith simple said heck with it and simply played out their careers in T20.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Btw any talk of a 'life ban', which is surely more media clickbait hyperbole, is utterly ridiculous.

Smith and Warner should absolutely be stripped of their captaincy and VC positions. But beyond that the 1 Test ban is already in line or in excess of what the ICC has previously handed out.

Besides, their reputations have been handed lifetime punishments and that is sufficient.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
and it just makes the situation at the moment weird - it's not your quicks that need help, it's your batsmen who Smith aside really are plodders by Australian standards on anything but roads... perhaps their little plan should have involved bigger bats, or sabotaging the DRS system
Plodders compared to Jeet, Tom or Henry?

JJ

Immortal
Plodders compared to Jeet, Tom or Henry?

Warner's away average of 36 is comparable yes - and Khawaja's is more reminiscent of Tim Southee

We're used to plodders, we aren't the Australian cricket team - it's a bit like comparing the Wallabies to the All Blacks, or the current Raiders with the early 90s ones - standards/expectations are just different

JJ

Immortal
Btw any talk of a 'life ban', which is surely more media clickbait hyperbole, is utterly ridiculous.

Smith and Warner should absolutely be stripped of their captaincy and VC positions. But beyond that the 1 Test ban is already in line or in excess of what the ICC has previously handed out.

Besides, their reputations have been handed lifetime punishments and that is sufficient.

Yep, this - except I am not sure Warner's reputation has been damaged

mave

Coach

That wanker has done a good enough job of tarnishing his own rep, even before we decided cheating was a good idea.

I'm sure I won't be the only one abusing Smith if I see him in the street for the rest of his life. He's going to f**king cop a heap

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Warner's away average of 36 is comparable yes - and Khawaja's is more reminiscent of Tim Southee

We're used to plodders, we aren't the Australian cricket team - it's a bit like comparing the Wallabies to the All Blacks, or the current Raiders with the early 90s ones - standards/expectations are just different
Everyone knows you're used to mediocrity JJ.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Lol Warner's reputation for me was merely reinforced.

Only the most blindly patriotic Aussie would suggest that he's anything other than an extreme merkin.

Hutty1986

Immortal
LOL - yeah, just a quick look:

Khawaja averages 59.38 in Aust, 24.88 away. Smith 77.25 in Aust and 53.5 away, Warner 59.64 in Aust and 36.75 away... Smith is still amazing, but the disaparity is telling, and Khawaja becomes a plod, and Warner becomes very average

Imagine how good some players records would look if they got to play half their tests on those highways, and didn't have to face the Australian attacks...
:joy: what kind of argument is this?
Imagine if NZ wasnt shit at everything except rugby
Imagine if the chooks had a salary cap
Imagine if you weren't a whinging bitter old woman