What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Newlands, Capetown, March 22-26, 2018

Iafeta

Referee
Whether it’s done or not, sun cream is using an artificial object to enhance the balls ability to swing. You may maintain the ball by shining it with saliva. The reality is it shouldn’t be done (suncream, tape, sandpaper etc).

I agree, there is a lot of ball skullduggery that goes on. I think though camera angles are making players weary about doing it.

But it’s like speeding. Just because other blokes don’t get caught doesn’t mean you can deliberately go at it.

The ball is the centre of this sport. How it behaves can significantly alter the slant of the game. It’s a significant issue.

Bazal

Post Whore
Michael Atherton literally just said he used to chew gum for the sole purpose of getting sugar into his saliva and altering the state of the ball that way...

I'm not saying we should be allowing sandpaper and bottle caps and stupid stuff. But unless we are going to ban altering the ball in any way it's simply not a huge deal IMO. The ball has been altered since the game began, we were just dumb enough to try a foreign (and exceptionally dumb) method.

And that is not to defend the actions of the players in any way, either. My bigger concern, as I said, is that the captain is so heavily involved in such a ridiculous and unimaginative scheme

Exsilium

First Grade
Alter the condition of the ball by influencing its otherwise normal and gradual deterioration to gain an advantage is a violation.

Whether it is stepping on it, rubbing it, scuffing it or whatever.

The main this is they got caught and should cop the punishment handed down by ICC and that should be the end of it.

mave

Coach
Bazal is correct imo.
The actual ball tampering was ineffective, at best, and simply is not the biggest issue at play here.

The main issue, for me anyway, is the fact that the Captain and his leadership group could sit down and plan this absolutely farcical situation, knowing that they were breaking both the laws and spirit of the game.
What sort of leadership is that ?
What type of culture are these players operating under ?

Fkn dopes, the lot of them.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
LOL at Lehmann being coach in the first place,he was one of them old school David Boon like degenerates who would drink like 80 beers before the game,who would think making a degenerate the coach would be a good idea.

Timbo

Staff member
Bazal is correct imo.
The actual ball tampering was ineffective, at best, and simply is not the biggest issue at play here.

The main issue, for me anyway, is the fact that the Captain and his leadership group could sit down and plan this absolutely farcical situation, knowing that they were breaking both the laws and spirit of the game.

Yep, this is 100% the issue.

How completely f**king stupid must they have been to sit down as a group, come up with this idea and then decide to give it a go?

It's up there from stealing money from on a till with cameras aimed straight at it.

Iafeta

Referee
Bazal is correct imo.

I was amazed at how brazenly Smith sat there explaining it all. Like it was nothing. I reckon he’s in genuine shock that he’s been condemned.

The plan certainly didn’t work did it. It’s one of the daftest epic fails I can recall in some time.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think Smith owning up and not taking the Sgt. Schultz 'I know nothing' approach buys him a little bit of leniency in the final punishment.

He could also have said other sides do it but didn't.

A lot of ex players have said it goes on. Simon Doull during the NZ v Eng test match was quite damming that it is happening , that most sides do it. Except and obviously they are more discreet about it

the hysteria on Foxsports is hard to believe, they have interviewed everyone who ever played, they are speculating on who is in the leadership group, Crash is saying some of the leadership group disagreed, like how he f**k would he know ? commentator says who did you think they are Crash ? leads for more speculation blah blah blah

they are gonna dine on this for weeks and they wont let it die

they haven't even reported on the test match results

Crash may be on to something

This time yesterday he was none the wiser, saying he cant believe not one aussie had said hang on lets not do this. Wouldn't be surprised if he has spoken to an official or someone in the know

I was amazed at how brazenly Smith sat there explaining it all. Like it was nothing. I reckon he’s in genuine shock that he’s been condemned.

The plan certainly didn’t work did it. It’s one of the daftest epic fails I can recall in some time.

the most daftest epic fail is letting India off with blatant racism. What Smith (and faf and dravid and others ) did fails in comparison

Mr Spock!

Referee
Could you imagine the outrage if chappell did the underarm thing in thesedays of social media hysteria?

Fact is we were all rooting for him in the next series especially when he got a double ton.

Meth

Staff member
I am over here in London at the moment and it’s the talk of the town.

Personally, I think it’s bad and embarrassing for Australian cricket- but the reaction is both hysterical and naive.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Could you imagine the outrage if chappell did the underarm thing in thesedays of social media hysteria?

Fact is we were all rooting for him in the next series especially when he got a double ton.

but but that was within the rules lol

Iafeta

Referee

36 years on, and Greg Chappell is still tarnished because of underarm. Before that the only commentary on Greg was his outstanding batting. Now his career ends up with a question mark on it.

I listened to Greg on Fox the other day. His relationship with someone he greatly admired in Richie Benaud changed greatly as a result of it.

Iafeta

Referee
Yep, this is 100% the issue.

How completely f**king stupid must they have been to sit down as a group, come up with this idea and then decide to give it a go?

It's up there from stealing money from on a till with cameras aimed straight at it.

And decide to throw their rookie under the bus with it. If you aren’t willing to do it yourself because you know it’s morally contentious, do not ask one of your team to do it for you.

mozza91

Coach
I love that every f**kwit who has barely watched a game of cricket and couldnt name a current player outside of Warner, Smith and Lyon feels the need to share their opinion on the matter. I’m very disappointed in them especially Smith but f**k me the overreaction is totally ridiculous.