What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Corners - El Masri

imported_midas

Juniors
MFC
Bit of an error in saying that 40-50-60 year-olds were exposed to a couple of races at best.As someone of that vintage,I went to school with at least 8 different nationalities in my final class.Maybe our generation compare the quality and attitude of those migrants with some (I stress some) of the migrants we seem to be getting now.

Midas- totally agree, apologies. I always get myself into trouble when i bandy around estimations. It used to be pretty strict re: immigration laws, i assume.

Not like the riff-raff we get these days....Blow up Bondi!

Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Space Monkey:
In OZ, it works like this:

You see some bastard with a T-Shirt that you dont like and you have two choices:
1.) If you're a violent bugger, you bash him without question.
2.) If you're a pacifist, you give the best god-damned sneer that he's ever seen, and then bash him.

I hope that clears thing up.

I think we should keep running with this T-Shirt line of argument... its has some potential...
embeer.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Oh and btw Legend, you appear to have a problem with Muslims. It would be too easy to say this is based on religious intolerance but that would be a good place to start.

L

legend

In Auburn things are a little different to the way life is meant to be on the Gold Coast I can assure you but seeing as though I am offending all and sundry with my views, I think i'll call it quits on this one and reserve judgement only to say actions speak louder than words.
emthdown.gif

I'm a Bankstown resident and I've spent my whole life in the area so I've witnessed theproblems in the area first hand.
I have twice been robbed by youths of middle eastern appearance, and I have also been the target of racist remarks and threatining behaviouron countlessoccasions because of my anglo-saxon appearance.
I can understand peoples anger towards arab youths because of this type of behavior but I think you must look at theroots of theproblem.
I have also witnessed first hand outstanding racism directed towards Lebanese Australians by anglo-saxons from all walks of life. The racism is so deep that racist comments are simply accepted as the norm.
There is no way that some of the things I have heard from reasonable people would be said towards any other ethnic group.

I believe that this is the cause of the rebellion many Lebanese youths show. They are simply responding to a society that does not like them.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Legend... mate. You want bring up the fact that I live on the Gold Coast? OK... I have been here for a few years now...

You seem to forget thatI was brought up in the rough end ofSyd's west years before you were stardust. Things were no better when I moved out of the Valley and took up residents in the inner-city west.

Back then the enemy were the Italians...later it was the Greeks...
you say its now the Muslims... well... some things never change.

Years beforeNewtown became gentrified,I saw a Greek bloke murdered in front of me by a bunch of white trash.
...and now you're trying to tell me that incidents like Halal being served at an American franchise junk food chain or some bloke wearing a racially charged T-shirt are supposed to be something to worry about?

Everyday people do shithouse things to each other. It has nothing to with religion, race, culture or politics. I concede that it may have something to do with environment/ living conditions... but by and large I reckon its just to with people acting like arseholes.

Broaden the scope.

S

SpaceMonkey

Legend, I am aware of the fact that you'd probably cop shit for wearing a "catholic warrior" t-shirt in Auburn.But that wouldn't make wearing the t-shirt wrong. I am also aware that much of the muslim world would not extend the sort of tolerance that Australia extends towardsthe australian muslim community toward christian/jewish communities in their countries. However that that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be tolerant. Should we not lead by example and treat people the way we want to be treated? As for kosher Macdonalds, well if there were enough Jews in Auburn you'd probably see it, although as far as I am aware Kosher is a bit more complex to implement that Halal so it might not catch on as quickly!
I realise that there is a serious problem with a certain element of the Lebanese muslim community in Australia, and I believe that the Lebanese community also needs to acknowledge this and take steps to deal with it themselves.If you read my post carefully I did acknowledge that fact. However I still believe it is wrong (however tempting/convenient it may be) to pre-judge people based on theirethnicity. If wekeep doing that then we only give those people more reason to have a chip on their shoulder against the rest of australian society. Youngie makes this point particularly well in his post.
In the case of the woman in Nigeria getting stoned to death, no I don't agree with it, and I've already had a row with someone on another forum who questioned our right to condemn that inhumane action.
As for the countries you mention as having problems with mulsim extremists, that is a rather one sided view as in almost all of them there are wider issues involved that simply a group of muslims causing "trouble" . If you remember in Yugoslavia it was the muslims who were the victims of ethnic cleansing at the hands of Serbs. In Lebanon there was the small matter of a massive US backed Israeli invasion. In the Phillippines the main issue is that mainly muslim southern island of Mindanao wanting to obtain independence from the predominantly catholic north. And Russia also has massive social problems with racist "nationalist" white extremists.
I was referring more to the sort of social problems faced in Australia, NZ, the US and other western nations where a particular group are regarded as "troublemakers" and this is NOT confined to muslims. As Willow says, its basically to do with people acting like arseholes, and fear of the unknown/unfamiliar. Whoever the main group of most recent immigrants is, there will almost inevitably be friction between them and the rest of the community. As he said it was the italians, then the greeks, now the lebanese muslims. However in time they will become part of the community just like anyone else, and theless predjudiced we are to their culture in general (as oppsed to the troublemakers who deserve pretty much whatever they get) the quicker it will happen.
And like Willow, I may live in a gentrified area but haven't done so for my entire life and I'm not isolated from the rest of the world!

S

SpaceMonkey

lol Midas, sorry to burst your bubble. :eek:
Actually it makes me wonder though, just how halal are those halal maccas products really? Do they just use hahal meat, or do they go to the extent of cooking and storing the halal meat sepatrately from the bacon? I'd be surprised if it were the latter, in which case good muslims should probably still be avoiding eating there....

imported_midas

Juniors
I would imagine that Macca,s would have had their Halal methods approved by a representative of the Muslim faith.However I am more concerned about Legend.A fourth generation Aussie living in Auburn-shouldn,t he qualify for some kind of bravery award?

S

SpaceMonkey

Hey I very nearly ended up living in or near Auburn (I was recently offered a job there). But then again I'd probably blend in better than Legend being the swarthy foreigner that I am ;)

L

legend

Having read your post Space Monkey and also having a pretty good understanding of how the Lebanese communinty functions up close and personal I would hardly call my comments "pre-judging". I have seen first hand more than most in this community but my comments are taken out of context and i'm branded a racist by people who havent lived in the State for longer than five minutes or in the last ten years. The time of the Greeks and Italians thrity years agois hardly comparable to what we are witnessing now and the comment is totally irrelevant to this debate IMO.

SM, you talk about the "cleansing" of ehtnic Albanians and the Muslims in the Philippinesbut as best I can remember, they are secular(as usual)and wanted their own sovereignty in land that does not belong to them. It would be similar to the Australian Muslim community annexing Canberra and calling it their own. I also don't think it's one sided as I don't see the Bhuddists and Catholics waging war in every part of the world to get what they want and practising barbaric rituals such as death by torture for having a child out of wedlock. I think everyone else including myself are very tolerant of what goes on in this world and a lot more forgiving.

This is the biggest problem I have: ...and now you're trying to tell me that incidents like Halal being served at an American franchise junk food chain or some bloke wearing a racially charged T-shirt are supposed to be something to worry about?

If I were to do this I would be branded a racist by the community as a whole and it would be front page newsbut if they do it they are standing up for what they believe in because they are a "minority" and we have to accept it. It's the double standards I have a problem with and that is the main reason we still have such division within our community and until that changes, the gang rapes and gangland crime will only thrive.

imported_midas

Juniors
Actually,I think the attention given to the Halal Macca,s was a bit of a media beat -up.If you owned the Macca,s franchise in a predominantly Muslim area ,you,have to be nuts NOT to serve Halal meat.
Legend,I was in Auburn on business recently and was struck by what I perceived to be the aggressive undertones of the place.Maybe it was my imagination(but I don,t think so) but I was bumped more often than would have been the case in Pitt St.
Maybe I was a bit paranoid in view of recent events but that was the indelible impression I was left with and ,quite frankly,I was glad to get out of there.
I can vividly remember Auburn from 30 years ago when it was a typical working-class suburb and a bloody good place full of bloody good people-now I,m not so sure.

S

SpaceMonkey

Legend, I never branded you racist, I apologise if you construed my comments as such but that wasn't my intention.
In response to your other comments
SM, you talk about the "cleansing" of ehtnic Albanians
As far as I am aware the systematic attempts of Milosovic and his regime to eradicate the muslim population of Bosnia is accepted as a pretty uncontroversial fact.
and the Muslims in the Philippinesbut as best I can remember, they are secular(as usual)and wanted their own sovereignty in land that does not belong to them.
A bit harsh. Islam has been established in the south of the Phillippines for hundredsof years by way of malaysia and indonesia, whilechristianity was introduced by the spanish in the north several centuries ago. Consequently there are two distinct cultural grouplings in the country. The north dominates politics etc,and some elementsin the south desire independence. It would be similar to the Australian Muslim community annexing Canberra and calling it their own.
I am notsaying thatI support them but the analogy with the muslim population ofAustralia annexing Canberra is off the mark, it is more a case of the local population (who have as much a claim to the area asanyone else in the phillipines)seeking togain independence.
I also don't think it's one sided as I don't see the Bhuddists and Catholics waging war in every part of the world to get what they want
Catholics inNorthern Ireland, Hindu Nationalists and Sikhs in India and Tamils in Sri Lanka are a few examples I can think of. But yes, there is more of a tendency toward militancy in Islam.
and practising barbaric rituals such as death by torture for having a child out of wedlock. I think everyone else including myself are very tolerant of what goes on in this world and a lot more forgiving.
I have no argument with you on that point, some muslim societies rank the most oppressive in the world. However many others do not. Islam as a whole seems to suffer from the same problem that the Australian Lebanese community does in that a bad element (militant fundamentalism) gives the rest of the culture a bad name.

This is the biggest problem I have: ...and now you're trying to tell me that incidents like Halal being served at an American franchise junk food chain or some bloke wearing a racially charged T-shirt are supposed to be something to worry about?
I don't think the halal Maccas is anything to worry about, as for the t-shirt, unless he was acting like a dickhead and intentionally intimidating people then no problem with that either.
If I were to do this I would be branded a racist by the community as a whole and it would be front page newsbut if they do it they are standing up for what they believe in because they are a "minority" and we have to accept it.
If the muslim community were to complainabout (for example) kosher macdonalds or a t-shirt expressing pride in being catholic it would be as intolerant on their part asan australian complaining about halal macdonalds etc. Anyone who excuses it as "standing up for what they believe in" is overdoing the political correctness. I do NOT thing that anyone has any more of an excuse for bigoted behaviour because they are a minority.
It's the double standards I have a problem with and that is the main reason we still have such division within our community and until that changes, the gang rapes and gangland crime will only thrive.
Agreed 100%, and as I said the Lebanese community also needs to do something to address this themselves. But we can't expect them to overcome their predjudices if we don't overcome ours. So how about we at least let them have their halal burgers?

Hope this makes my point of view a bit clearer...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Legend: "The time of the Greeks and Italians thrity years agois hardly comparable to what we are witnessing now and the comment is totally irrelevant to this debate IMO."

I only refer to past newcomers because it was brought up by yourself in post #12:
"Why is it the Italians, South Americans, Chinese, Croatians, Indians, Greeks etc have never encountered the problems the Muslim community has continually had to deal with? "

Why is only comparable and relevant when its part of <u>your</u> argument? The Italians had plenty of problems becoming part of the community. The bad press they received 30...actually 40-50 years ago is similar to the current stream of bad press the Mulslims receive now.
The only difference now is the population pressure... too many people in close proximity to each other...

"I also don't think it's one sided as I don't see the Bhuddists and Catholics waging war..."
Ahem... ok... personally I have nothing the individual church goer but it'll take a life time of debate to convince me that the Catholic Church is peace loving and into non-intervention like the Buddists are.

btw mate... no one is calling you a racist... settle down on that point.
Remember, tolerance is a two-way street. Its upto the individual as to makes the first step.

Now where's the nearest McDonalds...? Can't get more Aussie than that...!
Now theres a double standard that I can get at any drive-through... with or without fries!
emdgust.gif
;)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Typo correction in my last post:
personally I have nothing the individual church goer
should have read...
personally I have nothing against the individual church goer

El Duque

Bench
I shall settle this.

There is no God people.

Jesus was an insane jew who preached bullshit to weak minded morons on hilltops.He was an old time Jimmy Baker/Benny Hinn type charcter.

As for all the other bloody Gods.Well they're bullshit and lies too.

May as well pray to Ronald McDonald as he has as much power as all these other clowns.

wow, a lot of interesting comments :)

Personally, i think that the issues in Auburn are multiplied and then some in other areas. Anyone who has walked around Bankstown or Fairfield at night (or day for that matter) would realise that....

Willow, with all due respect, i think its a bit different from 30yrs ago. Id have to side with Legend there. I dont think you could really compare the problems that greeks/italians caused with the current issues. I mean, perhaps there was isolated cases, but not as widespread as it is now. The word fear springs to mind. As far as i know, Australia has never had problems on such a widespread scale with a particular nationality in the past. I can only compare it to what my dad has said, in saying that at worst, you might cop a beating if you run into the wrong group of people 30 years ago. Today, you might not get away with your life, or if you do, face a long period of intimidation, stalking and other over-bearing tactics. And thats just you,it may extend to your family. And thats not fiction, itsa reality that i have seen.The 'extremists' as i keep coming back to will stop at nothing.

El Duque, each to their own. There is little/no proof that God, or any other great prophet existed. True, very true. Its a matter of faith. And i dont buy the arguments of science. The composition of people, and how the world operates is beyond a scientific explanation IMO. Explain evolution, if you believe that is what happened.

Moffo

The word fear springs to mind. As far as i know, Australia has never had problems on such a widespread scale with a particular nationality in the past.
Eh, without getting into the rest of it you are spot on there Moffo. I am not what one would call a small guy by any means but I was atAurburn Station just last week and will admit to feeling a bit of that fear.

In walking no more than 80 metres from the platform, down the steps and onto the main street I was bumped/jostled by 3 seperate groups of youths. I can honestly say that were I not a large man and so damn ugly looking each of those encounters would have led to far more serious outcomes. If I ever have to go thereagain, or Bankstown for that matter, I will most certainly be driving. :mad: