What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations game 4 - England v Australia

TommyGun

Juniors
Did anyone notice that Westwood ran in and tried to throw a couple of punches into the back of Cam Smith's head during the Widdop and Watmough 'fight'. I doubt any of them hit the target but for a second I thought Sam 'third man in' Thaiday was playing for England haha

roughyedspud

Coach
he was just looking after one of his team mates........

and williams will probably get a 1 game ban...should be 2 though

hutch

First Grade
he was just looking after one of his team mates........

and williams will probably get a 1 game ban...should be 2 though

They were dog shots to the back of the head of somebody trying to break up a fight!

Williams will get a week!

POPEYE

Coach
Again the pommie commentary left the 9 rubbish for dead . . . even the game caller couldn't get his compadres to find fault with the Australian superiority.

Even go as far to say the Irish ex winger is one of the best game analysts I've heard.

The poms had every right to whinge about a couple of decisions but they were still realistic about England's shortcomings.

Again I thought Graham overated and his stamina is questionable. Watmough is a penalty waiting to happen and Cronk a definately worthy wearer of the green and gold.

Once again the pommie faithful thought they had a chance and once again were caught short in stamina but with a few more sent to the NRL could improve.

The English fullback could make it in Australia but their tired forwards need putting to pasture

Springs

First Grade
Williams should surely be out for the remainder of the tournament. Dave Taylor got 5 weeks for Christ's sake.

wibble

Bench
I think your being a little harsh on the "tired" English forwards there Popeye. They were carrying a lot of injuries. They were better than I've seen in a long time (even Peacock, and I don't normally rate him).

Graham will go all right. He won't have to play 60+ minutes in NRL I wouldn't think. He looks better than Shillington or Galloway- at least hits it up with gusto.

Watmough does give away a lot of penalties, but that is the nature of that aggro style workaholic back rower. Per metre made or tackle made I'm sure his penalty count isn't too bad. But he plays a bit in spurts, and part of that is having bad runs of penalties (as one would expect from a random distribution of penalties- they should "clump" together if he gives them away at fairly random intervals) and that makes it noticeable. I think Bird, Parker, Harrison, or Stewart could easily have taken his place and done as good a job. It's not like Australia is lacking in back rowers.

And I'm sorry to say roughyedspud, but that picture seems to confirm to me that it should not have been a send off offense. It looked like a poorly timed tackle on an off balance opponent, and that picture seems to confirm that, both in William's arm and head positioning, and Westwood's stance. It wasn't nice, and I'd be happy to have tackles like that made into send off offences (but plenty of other offenses like "cannonballs" and "prowlers" should be higher on the list of priorities to turn into send off offenses), but players are very unlucky in the last few years at international or first grade level to get sent off for a tackle like that.

I worry when commentators/fans et al start complaining that an offense like that not being sent off is a "turning" point, as it had no effect on the other team other than they were not playing against a reduced opponent. Surely it is better to imagine your team can improve than to hope your opponents' get reduced to 12 men?

Not giving a try if it should have been awarded is a much bigger turning point and legitimate point of complaint, in general, IMHO

Billythekid

First Grade
Widdop may be the answer for England but keep in mind most of his good work the past year came off the back of opportunities created by others.

Probably over-hyped at this stage and theres no Cronk or Slater in the England side to hold his hand. Cronk in particular was a massive plus for his game this year.

The thing is every time he gets on the field he looks like their most dangerous player. Even last year in the little time he got on the field he was the only player who looked threatening.

He's a game breaker, something that England is sorely missing,

CAS

Juniors
What is the English fans opinion of Sinfield?

Great Club Player and all round Nice Bloke, but has never been up to this Standard.

The Difference to me yesterday was 'Concentration'. In the Super League, these guys will play maybe 5 to 6, really Intense Games where they are tested for 80 minutes, the Aussies, get that most weeks. Simple things, knocking on when an off load comes out because they have dropped their Concentration, you just can't relax for a second, that's why it's called Test Rugby, because you are tested in every Department. Our Boys know they can afford to relax in Super league too many times and it shows in tight contests. The Referee was p*** poor, but i don't know if it was wayne Bennett who once said 'that i/we don't blame the Referee, we shouldn't have been in the position where it made a difference anyway' , not sure about the exact wording, but it really means, if they hadn't had had brain Explosions when they did and in Key Areas, the Sending off that wasn't and the No Try that was, wouldn't have mattered anyway.

In the last 15 minutes it could have been worth having Sam Tompkins play in attack as a half back, he is the one player we have that your Guys struggled with and give him more time with the Ball in hand, other than that, just more composure and better Concentration, and yes some better luck, but the best teams always make their own luck. One thing i would say is that there was more Skill on Show in yesterdays game than the whole RU World Cup, yet their Fans big that S*** right up, yet we often Knock ours down. We have the best Athletes playing the best Game in the world, lets bloody Appreciate it more.

Chook Norris

First Grade
anyone know why Ellis supposedly only played 25minutes? (according to the stats)
he was ur best forward behind Graham during his stint

roughyedspud

Coach
yep ellis hurt is back

on sinfield..........he's not there to run rings round players....he's there to keep things calm, to organize,to kick and thats exactly what we need imo.........we have roger chase to do the razzle dazzle

ParraFan09

Juniors
Thats probably the best i have seen England play in a few years. Still had poor patches though which let them down, They also wanted to blame the ref every time they made a mistake or gave a penalty. I think they need to make a few changes if they are to beat NZ. this is the side i would pick.

1. Tomkins
2. Hall
3. Reed
4. Yeaman(last chance)
5. Briscoe
6. Widdop
7. Chase
8. Graham(if fit)
9. Sinfield
10. Peacock
11. Ellis(if fit)
12. Westwood
13. Heington
14. Roby(Not a starter better for impact IMO)
15. Morley
16. Carvell
17. Wilkin
Thats the england side i think can beat NZ

On Australia i think with Slater out for the comp.
My Aussie backline would be
1. Inglis(can get more involved)
2. Uate
3. Lewis(only option)
4. Lawrence
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston

Thoughts?

roughyedspud

Coach
roby not a starter?

interestingly roby's & cam smiths stats are almost identical,no errors, same tackles (39), same offloads (2)..with roby making more meters,down on his average though, and making more tackle breaks..

you'd have to say roby out performed cam smith slightly

Last edited:

snoozer

Bench
On Australia i think with Slater out for the comp.
My Aussie backline would be
1. Inglis(can get more involved)
2. Uate
3. Lewis(only option)
4. Lawrence
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston

Thoughts?
inglis fullback lol.

yow yeh to the wing , boyd to fullback.

Noa

First Grade
The thing is every time he gets on the field he looks like their most dangerous player. Even last year in the little time he got on the field he was the only player who looked threatening.

He's a game breaker, something that England is sorely missing,

England dont need a potential game-breaker, they need some-one to control the game for them.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Sinfield at five-eight has me puzzled. He does good things but also very bad things. And he`s hardly a quality goal-kicker. Hasn`t MacNamara seen Widdop play for Melbourne? I`d have him at five-eight. He doesn`t seem comfortable with his utility role. Maybe Sinfield in the 14? He`s been around for a while, too. Widdop`s the up and comer.

No disrespect mate but to suggest Sinfield isn't a quality goal kicker is absurd. He's one of the best of all time, particularly in pressure situations. I can understand a lean to Widdop - he's had a great season, but he's still only played one season at 5/8 and Sinfield has captained his side to 5 premierships. Putting Widdop at such a key position for such a big game would be a mistake.