What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th ODI: Australia v Sri Lanka at Hobart Jan 23, 2013

Earl

Coach
Apparently Clarke is highly doubtful and Australia's top 7 will be;

David Warner
Phil Hughes
George Bailey (c)
David Hussey
Matt Wade
Glenn Maxwell
Moises Henriques

The funny part to me is that we are supposedly "building towards the world cup in 2015" yet they keep selecting sides that would be lucky to win the Associate Nations Cup

vvvrulz

Coach

David Warner
Phil Hughes
George Bailey (c)
David Hussey
Matt Wade
Glenn Maxwell
Moises Henriques

Had to blink twice and re-read that Australian top seven, that's just depressing and I'm not even an Aussie fan. Those guys wouldn't make the C team of 2007.

Hallatia

Referee
The funny part to me is that we are supposedly "building towards the world cup in 2015" yet they keep selecting sides that would be lucky to win the Associate Nations Cup
yeah but at least they'd make the super eights in such competition which is more than I can say for south Africa based on how we've been playing ODIs this year

IanG

Coach
I'm starting to wonder if I should coem out of retirement. There could be hope for me yet

oldmancraigy

Coach

David Warner
Phil Hughes
George Bailey (c)
David Hussey
Matt Wade
Glenn Maxwell
Moises Henriques

If we're going to pick DHussey, Maxwell and Henriques, then surely we need to be getting 20 overs out of the 3 of them? If they can't manage the overs between them, then they ought to be considered solely as batsmen.

Makes no sense to have 4 genuine bowlers and 3 all-rounders. 3 and 3 I could understand I guess?

TheParraboy

Staff member
If we're going to pick DHussey, Maxwell and Henriques, then surely we need to be getting 20 overs out of the 3 of them? If they can't manage the overs between them, then they ought to be considered solely as batsmen.

Makes no sense to have 4 genuine bowlers and 3 all-rounders. 3 and 3 I could understand I guess?

10 you mean?

oldmancraigy

Coach
10 you mean?

No, I mean 20.

If you pick 2 allrounders, you want 10 overs out of them.
If you pick 3 allrounders, then you want 20 overs out of them - otherwise why not hand one of the spots to a batsman instead?

Call me strange, but I actually like having Maxwell in the team. But not if he's just picked as a batsman.....

gUt

Coach
I am not ready to write Maxwell off just yet. He does have a bit of mongrel and spark about his cricket. Henriques on the other hand I just can't understand his preferential treatment over the likes of Khawaja/Cutting... hell even Dan Christian.

TheParraboy

Staff member
No, I mean 20.

If you pick 2 allrounders, you want 10 overs out of them.
If you pick 3 allrounders, then you want 20 overs out of them - otherwise why not hand one of the spots to a batsman instead?

Call me strange, but I actually like having Maxwell in the team. But not if he's just picked as a batsman.....

fair enough

TheParraboy

Staff member
I am not ready to write Maxwell off just yet. He does have a bit of mongrel and spark about his cricket. Henriques on the other hand I just can't understand his preferential treatment over the likes of Khawaja/Cutting... hell even Dan Christian.

henriques had a very good start to the year with the bat, plus his bowling is always good, bowls high 130s as well. Dont mind his selection at all just needs to be consistant, ie consistantly chosen and then to consistantly perform

oldmancraigy

Coach

To be fair, Henriques has had a good summer in the shield/ list A games while Christian has been out of form somewhat. Clearly they want him as an all-rounder, and so he gets the nod ahead of Khawaja (who needs to learn to run between the wickets or he'll never play for Aus again I suspect? Turns 3s into 1s...).

Canard

Immortal
Its all on Hughes, if he gets out cheaply yet again, then I think its fair to say that if we lose its his fault.

MSIH

Bench
henriques had a very good start to the year with the bat, plus his bowling is always good, bowls high 130s as well. Dont mind his selection at all just needs to be consistant, ie consistantly chosen and then to consistantly perform

I don't mind Henriques, but to say his bowling is "always good" is a gee up. He gets taken to the cleaners regularly.