What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 Rounds In

isaiah

Bench
Long way to go, we are starting to get an idea who the better teams are. Knights are unbeaten and are a well coached, talented side. Eels were lucky to beat the broncs and lost to the roosters 2 weeks ago, but have otherwise been impressive. powerful outside backs, big forward pack.
dragons and roosters are 3rd and 4th and play each other in a few hours. should be a cracker with dragons best from last year, Hastings, playing for the roosters now. you would think 4 or 5 of this roosters side would be involved in the qld v nsw 20's game.
Broncs have been very good, hard working forward pack and the nikorima brothers leading the backs. warriors are hitting form after a slow start. tigers had a good first 6 weeks but were awful last week, how do you run for 500 less metres than your opposition?
Those are the teams who have won more than they've lost.

Last edited:

Forty20

First Grade
As an Eels fan, I have been impressed with the form shown by Parra thus far in 2014 after some lean years in the NYC. The only exception is the Rd.6 game against the Roosters where we simply went away from the style that has been so successful for us and threw away a massive lead.

We look to be well structured and disciplined (for a NYC team) and can score from anywhere, particularly down our left-edge (Matterson, Moeroa, Davis, Goodall) while Zach Dockar-Clay is playing more settled footy on the right and is leading the NYC in linebreak assists and try assists.

The only other current top four team that I have gotten a good look at is the Roosters and they also look to be a strong team across the park. I would like to see Newcastle's NYC team in action as they have an awesome roster but I only have so much time each weekend.

Like many other teams, Parra will also prosper from the conclusion of the SG Ball (or Meninga Cup for QLD) with the likes of Tyrell Fuimaono, Bevan French, Tui Oloapu, Jason Vidal and Troy Dargan likely coming into the mix for selection in the NYC.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
As a Parra fan it's hard not to get excited about our Under 20's this year. Some absolute superstars in that team mixed with solid grade players. I have never seen a player in the Under 20's hit harder than Tepai Moeroa.

As for the Roosters, Taane Milne is going to be an absolute star. Quality centre that troubles the defence every time he has the ball. Would be good to see him and Moeroa line-up next to each other again in future rep jerseys.

half_back

Juniors
As a Parra fan it's hard not to get excited about our Under 20's this year. Some absolute superstars in that team mixed with solid grade players. I have never seen a player in the Under 20's hit harder than Tepai Moeroa.

As for the Roosters, Taane Milne is going to be an absolute star. Quality centre that troubles the defence every time he has the ball. Would be good to see him and Moeroa line-up next to each other again in future rep jerseys.

I'm sure all the schoolboy teams that play in the GPS competition are glad to to see the back of them. Tepai and Taane were the centres for Newington college for the last 2 years and terrified defences and attacks alike at school and representative levels.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith have found form recently but with players being pushed up to NSW Cup regularly I can't see them winning it. At full strength they would be close to the team to beat.

half_back

Juniors
The way I see it their are currently 5 teams in contention and these 5 are a cut above. Newcastle who drew with broncos, broncos who lost to parra and saints, parra who have lost twice to roosters, roosters who lost to broncos, and saints.

Next teir seems to be a slow starting and inconsistent warriors who always come home stronger than they start, storm who have also been inconsistent beating saints and warriors but getting spanked by Titans and Knights. Tigers and penrith who again show the typical NYC traits of being up one week and down the next.

Making an early call (very dangerous in NYC especially as some may see promotion to first grade) I'd say a Knights and Eels GF. Both seem to have the deepest roster and seemed well covered across the park.

Noname36

First Grade
The way I see it their are currently 5 teams in contention and these 5 are a cut above. Newcastle who drew with broncos, broncos who lost to parra and saints, parra who have lost twice to roosters, roosters who lost to broncos, and saints.

Next teir seems to be a slow starting and inconsistent warriors who always come home stronger than they start, storm who have also been inconsistent beating saints and warriors but getting spanked by Titans and Knights. Tigers and penrith who again show the typical NYC traits of being up one week and down the next.

Making an early call (very dangerous in NYC especially as some may see promotion to first grade) I'd say a Knights and Eels GF. Both seem to have the deepest roster and seemed well covered across the park.

The hurdle for the Knights NYC is that with the consistent injury issues FG is having, more and more of the NYC squad will probably start getting moved up to FG or NSW Cup. They looked like they missed Mamo last weekend and I don't think it will be long before more of the squad is moved up. Realistically there's a couple of forwards in the squad that are too good for that level and should be playing NSW Cup, and if the top squad can't sort its forward issues out Bennett might want them moved up to get some experience playing with men.

Forty20

First Grade

Results played out as you implied they would:

• Dragons pipped the Roosters 24-22 (contested game between two heavy weights)
  • Broncos accounted for the Rabbitohs 20-12
  • Eels demolished the Cowboys 64-4
  • Knights got the points against the Dogs 30-18

The Tigpies have a game in hand but it would take a win with a differential of 57 points to over take the Roosters on F/A.

gY1iKuR.jpg

isaiah

Bench
cowboys and raiders are in a dogfight just now that could ultimately get one of them a place in the finals at the expense of the other. the raiders are 5 and 5. cowboys are 3 and 7, way down near the base of the table but have played 7 games before today against sides now sitting in the top 7. they must get to play some of the bottom teams soon enough and get on a roll. kikau is a gun. and the young half, bambling, will be very, very good one day.

isaiah

Bench
cowboys and raiders are in a dogfight just now that could ultimately get one of them a place in the finals at the expense of the other. the raiders are 5 and 5. cowboys are 3 and 7, way down near the base of the table but have played 7 games before today against sides now sitting in the top 7. they must get to play some of the bottom teams soon enough and get on a roll. kikau is a gun. and the young half, bambling, will be very, very good one day.
cowboys win v melb and are now 5 wins, 7 losses.

isaiah

Bench
2 of the comp's heavyweights face off sunday arvo, parra at home to the knights. so many quality match-ups. bragging rights for one side when they meet again in the finals, if the draw falls that way.

isaiah

Bench
Long way to go, we are starting to get an idea who the better teams are. Knights are unbeaten and are a well coached, talented side. Eels were lucky to beat the broncs and lost to the roosters 2 weeks ago, but have otherwise been impressive. powerful outside backs, big forward pack.
dragons and roosters are 3rd and 4th and play each other in a few hours. should be a cracker with dragons best from last year, Hastings, playing for the roosters now. you would think 4 or 5 of this roosters side would be involved in the qld v nsw 20's game.
Broncs have been very good, hard working forward pack and the nikorima brothers leading the backs. warriors are hitting form after a slow start. tigers had a good first 6 weeks but were awful last week, how do you run for 500 less metres than your opposition?
Those are the teams who have won more than they've lost.
top 7 still the top 7. eels v warriors in 20 min on fox. eels a chance to get back to 3rd after tigers lost yesterday, or will drop to 5th with a loss.

isaiah

Bench
top 7 still the top 7. eels v warriors in 20 min on fox. eels a chance to get back to 3rd after tigers lost yesterday, or will drop to 5th with a loss.
Another few weeks on, only the warriors of the top 7 have been overrun by manly and melbourne, the only teams to have both won their last 5 games. this weekend both the storm and manly play fellow top 8 teams. lets see if they have the goods.

isaiah

Bench
Another few weeks on, only the warriors of the top 7 have been overrun by manly and melbourne, the only teams to have both won their last 5 games. this weekend both the storm and manly play fellow top 8 teams. lets see if they have the goods.
storm and manly both lose, so my original 7 are still the best 7 teams. dragons just beat the roosters, too.

isaiah

Bench
3rd placed broncs at home to top placed knights this week. bragging rights heading into the finals.

isaiah

Bench
3rd placed broncs at home to top placed knights this week. bragging rights heading into the finals.
36-16 in brisbane, but knights far from at full strength. wonder how many changes they'll have if the teams meet again in the finals series?

isaiah

Bench
top 4 teams play each other this weekend. it will be funny if they are paired the same in the first week of the finals.