What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alan McMahon passes on....

<span>Ex Kangaroo tourist and innaugural coach of the Newcastle Knights, Alan McMahon, passed away this morning after a massive heart attack at his Wollongong home. The man was known as an outstanding fullback who would've played a lot more rep footy if it wern't for him being behind Graham Eadie
Its a sad time for all and condolences go out to all involved. I only had vague memories of him from some very old footy tapes, but he seemed like a top player and from all reports, a great person
Moffo</span>

imported_Beast

Juniors
Very sorry to hear this, I remember watching him on several occasions at Bear Park and Leichardt, alas he always played very well against the Bears but he was still a very good fullback.

There was a minutes silence for Alan before the Knights game. It was a genuine minute long and the very big crowd stayed perfectly silent for the full minute.

Alan had a very hard job starting the Knights from scratch, and I think he did the job very well in hindsight.

He knew he wouldn't be able to attract the players of class needed to become an immediate force in the premiership, so he bought every 'hard' player he could and established a culture of never back down at the club. We didn't win many games in those early years but no one left Marathon thinking they had had an easy game. This culture has seen the club develop into a winning club in a short time relatively. The NQ Cowboys have all the same advantages as the Knights in RL nurseries and committed fans etc, but they have never established the pride amongst the players that the Knights have, thanks to McMahon starting the club off with a 'if we can't win the game, we'll win the fight' attitude.