What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Juniors
Dude, it is his fault. Two teamates already were driving him back before he went in and lifted him up.

So you're happy to have Jordan McLean cop the blame for this kid never playing the game again, potentially never walking again etc?

betcats

Referee
So you're happy to have Jordan McLean cop the blame for this kid never playing the game again, potentially never walking again etc?

Facts are facts, if he doesnt lift him it doesnt happen. No one is acting like it was intentional or anything but they are the facts, McCleans illegal play ended with a spinal cord injury for Mckinnon.

I feel for McLean but thats how I see it.

Who gives a toss about what context some distraught club members talk in. f**k some people on here must just enjoy finding anything they can to nitpick at. Buderus was trying hard enough not to cry his eyes out last night.

_Johnsy

Referee
Some people are stupid.

why_youre_dumb_sick_and_broke_full.jpg

Perpendicular anyone.............

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Some people are stupid. People are often punished for accidents. Intention is irrelevant if you knowingly choose to do the wrong thing. Of course he didn't want to break anyones neck but he chose to get his hands between legs and he chose to lift. He should get about 4 weeks. End of debate.

Of course intentions matters what a silly thing to say.

georgesnmith

Juniors

i hope he gets nothing more than 4 weeks.

it should be judged like every other identical tackle

the outcome is irrelevant

league is a tough sport there are risks in playing every professional sport

if the melbourne guy cops 12 weeks plus, then the next guy that lifts should get the same.

if he has a good lawyer then im sure sanity will prevail

Silky

Juniors
Facts are facts, if he doesnt lift him it doesnt happen. No one is acting like it was intentional or anything but they are the facts, McCleans illegal play ended with a spinal cord injury for Mckinnon.

I feel for McLean but thats how I see it.

It wasn't just McLean's lift, though...

It was McLean's lift + the other Melbourne player's landing on top of him + where McKinnon put his head. Take out any one of those three contributing factors and we're not having this discussion right now.

I just can't agree with ya..

_Johnsy

Referee

if the melbourne guy cops 12 weeks plus, then the next guy that lifts should get the same.

I don't think many are advocating for a lengthy suspension. But he should get at least a week or two IMO.

Pugzley

It was McLean's lift + the other Melbourne player's landing on top of him + where McKinnon put his head. Take out any one of those three contributing factors and we're not having this discussion right now.

If McLean never lifted, McKinnon would just have been pushed back face first on the grass, lying on his stomach.

betcats

Referee

I agree the damage happened when the storm players landed on him but again he is only in that dangerous position because McLean put a hand between his legs and lifted, there is a reason that is illegal sadly we have just got a reminder why.

Silky

Juniors
I agree the damage happened when the storm players landed on him but again he is only in that dangerous position because McLean put a hand between his legs and lifted, there is a reason that is illegal sadly we have just got a reminder why.

That's fine.. i'm happy for him to sit out a week for putting his hands in a dangerous position... but for the game (fans and administrators) needs to be careful that they don't accidentally give off a "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT" kinda vibe.

_Johnsy

Referee
That's fine.. i'm happy for him to sit out a week for putting his hands in a dangerous position... but for the game (fans and administrators) needs to be careful that they don't accidentally give off a "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT" kinda vibe.

It is not solely McLeans fault but he has to be apportioned a % of the blame, he doesn't lift McKinnon above the horizontal this thread does not exist.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen far worse spear tackles in the game than McLean's, and the victim didn't suffer any injuries.

Human's just are built to know how to fall in a situation like that. McKinnon's horrific injury is just a horrible accident and an incident where if he had've fallen an inch further to one side or some such thing could have been the difference between him getting back and being where he is now.

And that's the risk every player takes in every tackle.

Simon Dwyer can tell you that.

Joker's Wild

Coach

And which one of those 3 actions is illegal in the game of rugby league?

There is a reason why it is outlawed mate

betcats

Referee

I havent seen anyone do that, pretty much everyone Ive seen in the media(players, coaches commnetators) have said they feel for Jordan etc .

The NRL have let the kid play this week for his own welfare so i am sure they are taking their duty of care to him seriously.

There is just no getting away from the fact that Jordan is partly at fault here.

_Johnsy

Referee
So 80-85%

Mate I have no idea what it would be.

I had a mate who had an accident (approx 20yrs ago) driving along Bermuda St turning right & heading towards Nerang at about 7am.

The other car was driving East towards Broadbeach, the drivers view was impaired as the sun was coming up. That car went through a red light, my mate had a green arrow to turn right and was belted by the other car. When it was finalised and damages awarded, my mate was apportioned 35% of the blame. Why? Because he didn't give way to his right, even though the other driver went through a red light.

The law can be an ass.

perverse

Referee

Should all drunk drivers be punished in the same way as someone who hits a person from behind the wheel while drunk?

Should a guy that shoots at someone to kill them, but misses, be punished the same as if they shot that person dead?

Stupid logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts