What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL/USARL what if??

Craigo

Juniors
This is not meant to start another sh!tfight about how/who/what/where and why the US side was selected for the WC and whether you agree/disagree etc etc....

but...

In light of current issues with the selection of the US WC squad, what happens IF the AMNRL clubs all decide to jump over to the USARL comp? Who then becomes the controling body recognised by the RLIF in America? How does control get handed over to another body so that domestic teams can be selected by domestic selectors, rather than people from another country half-way around the world? And, who do the RLIF actually answer to and how are they actually contacted? Surely they must know of the discontent surrounding the US team yet I don't recall ANY news or media reports with the RLIF qualifying their position on the matter one way or another. Or do they just bury their heads in the sand hoping it will all go away???

IowaRL

Juniors
They are saying they are looking to maintain independant until all issues are sorted out and there is a unified body in the US. Probably more to it, but that's what I've seen so far

Fatwing15

Juniors
That is strange, I figured a decision leave either league or announce independance would be pretty pointless because the leagues were merging together any way. Does it matter if a team is/was an AMNRL team or an USARL team?

Fatwing15

Juniors
I was wondering that also. RIR? Any one from the US able to she'd some light?

Any Raiders post on here? I am under the impression that the leagues are very close to finalizing a merger so I doubt anyone directly involved would be able to comment. The rumor was that everything was pretty much finalized and the decision makers would be issuing a press release this past week.

Now onto the real issue at hand... With David Niu no longer in the picture, who the hell are we going to blame when things don't go according to plan or when we aren't getting enough information???

CQ Italia

Juniors
also heard a second US announcement besides this merger/united news is coming the next week. Do not know what as it is confidential, just that something "that will be a big step forward for the sport"

league13

Juniors
Now onto the real issue at hand... With David Niu no longer in the picture, who the hell are we going to blame when things don't go according to plan or when we aren't getting enough information???[/QUOTE]

There is one thing for sure,it won't be any worse.Just give the new admin time to sort things.The USARL have kept their website up todate since they were formed.latest posting on their site,11.01.14.

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
Language such as 'defunct' would seem to indicate the obvious. That the AMNRL has folded.

The Raiders pulling out would leave the AMNRL is a precarious position considering it's fragility already.

Hopefully a structure can be found which positive benefits all interested parties.

The struggle with some seems to be that although the USARL offers a democratic voice for the top clubs (essential ownership of the USARL) there seems to be a disconnection in what that looks like for lower clubs as they go forward.

Additionally, though the USARL and Youth wing seem connected they are totally different. Not sure why, but it does not seem a smart idea going forward in the long run.

Language such as 'defunct' would seem to indicate the obvious. That the AMNRL has folded.

Additionally, though the USARL and Youth wing seem connected they are totally different. Not sure why, but it does not seem a smart idea going forward in the long run.

AYRLA is a 501(C)(3) aka a non profit - which technically means its community owned because anyone can run and be elected to a board position, no one owns the entity, the entity is owned by the public. Thus it virtually has zero tax liabilities, moreover, companies can donate certain sums of money in lieu of paying US Federal Taxes. Most grants are only eligible for non-profits, generally governing bodies of youth sports need to be non-profits (same goes for adult sports).

Finally AYRLA's single mission is to develop youth rugby league in the USA. If combined with another organization there is the very real risk that those goals get ignored over what the directors of the organization may see as more pressing matters or matters that deserve funds more than xyz youth matter. Thus we are able to attract more people to work with us in our tent that may know nothing about rugby league but do like the work we are doing with youth.

The USARL is an LLC, which is a hybrid of a Partnership and a Cooperation. Meaning it has owners.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Well with the AMNRL folding I geuss that's that.

I hope that all the AMNRL teams that are left can be brought into the USARL in some form.

Diesel

Referee
I'd hope that is the case too. Interesting to know what the big announcement is next week, perhaps a unification of teams into one comp

Steve Davy

Juniors
Well with the AMNRL folding I geuss that's that.

I hope that all the AMNRL teams that are left can be brought into the USARL in some form.

Most, yes.

I have altered my view over the years to thinking that each area should have one club, with social rugby league beneath that. You need a certain size of crowd if people are to turn up and having two clubs can undermine that. You need competition for places and having two teams can undermine that. You also need volunteers.

I would like to see one club in New York and have it as large as Jacksonville (and I am well aware of how large New York is). Despite having played for Oneida, I am glad there will be one senior team in Boston.

CQ Italia

Juniors
Most, yes.

I have altered my view over the years to thinking that each area should have one club, with social rugby league beneath that. You need a certain size of crowd if people are to turn up and having two clubs can undermine that. You need competition for places and having two teams can undermine that. You also need volunteers.

I would like to see one club in New York and have it as large as Jacksonville (and I am well aware of how large New York is). Despite having played for Oneida, I am glad there will be one senior team in Boston.
Agree, but it also depends on the country and their sport culture (like with Serbia being a small country geographically, but having a large population in Belgrade it suits them). Like USA could have 1 North NY club and one South.

Your views are the same to which FIRFL (unrecognised Italians) have, just to use them for an example:

The championship they try to have regional clubs, than the next tier, the Coppa Italia, it's more or less small regional based knockout comps under the championship club (until their comes a time where these same coppa italia teams can play more regularly).

For instance, Magnifici Firenze represents Tuscany, and they have a number of affiliates that have had some rugby league training and will play in a Tuscan Cup over the next 4-5 months. Than those best interested players can be recruited to the Magnifici Firenze.

Of course there are different cases for the current 9 championship clubs, like with 1-2 clubs are closer and in the same region, but most are very well geographically divided/spread out.