What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

BrissyRedV

Bench
We can go back and forth on this forever. You have your thoughts, I have mine and we may never know Bennett's rationale behind his team selections and thoughts on Hunt. Let's just leave it at that before another thread turns to dog shit.
Indeed. I do enjoy our conversations BTN. Our opinions may differ on many subjects but I do enjoy a well thought out argument.

BrissyRedV

Bench
My biggest issue is the long term contract.
I imagine it is a concern for all involved. I would hate for him to rest on his laurels knowing he is secure for so long and also the worry of injury etc. But he has shown that he is durable, and I have heard from several sources that he is a driven person, with a want to improve on all aspects. We will see what he brings to us hopefully sooner rather than later.

SBD82

Coach
I imagine it is a concern for all involved. I would hate for him to rest on his laurels knowing he is secure for so long and also the worry of injury etc. But he has shown that he is durable, and I have heard from several sources that he is a driven person, with a want to improve on all aspects. We will see what he brings to us hopefully sooner rather than later.
He's not the half I would have chased, I'm hoping he comes and is great for us. I guess I just have reservations about him being the instant cure that some people seem to believe he will be.

Fingers crossed the risk we have taken reaps rewards.

monsterkev

Juniors
Hunt has been relegated to q cup this weekend
I didn't think his return game was that bad in an ordinary side

GC Dragon

Juniors
I agree with what has been said .Bennett dropped Hunt just because he has dared to sign with another club under Bennett's watch . Hunt's position at the Bronco's has become a bit toxic but Bennett won't release him because he knows come the bigger games he will need him .

The fact he is playing Nikorima at half and Benji off the bench is just a bit of chest beating to show who's boss . If they lose this week Benji will be back at the Dolphins and Nikorima back to the bench .

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seems to me some of you think he's the coming messiah .some think he's an overpaid not worth the money underperforming has been.personally I think he's a clever purchase certain to improve the current well performing team.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I guess I just have reservations about him being the instant cure that some people seem to believe he will be.
He is a dramatic improvement over who we have at halfback now. It seems Mary and the committee along with the addition of Vaughan and McInnes have cured several of our woes from past seasons already and Hunt will only improve on that. What we need fixed now is an experienced prop and for one of young fullbacks to step up and become that extra ball player that is the fashion now. How Bennett uses or abuses Hunt at this point in time does not concern me. He has a history of not being a very happy man when players turn their backs on him.

hewi

Bench
Plus hopefully playing at the lower standard will mean not as much stress on his crook hammy? Want him to turn up to the Dragons fully fit and if Bennett helps that happen that's fine by me.

ALSGI

Bench
Just read the story about dropping Hunt on nrl.com. Bennett was pretty clear.

That is according to Bennett, who said Hunt's running game had not been as effective in 2017 compared to previous years.

"We need him to run the ball more. He's one of the best ball runners in the game," he said."One of the criteria to play rugby league is to run the ball. We need him to run the ball."It wasn't an easy decision but it's been made. The reason is Ben's form.

This really means SFA for Dragons in 2018. It really does sound like he needs a change (like Vaughan and McInnes). The longer he's in reggies the better imo and hope he doesn't play FG against us in round 24. Still can't wait to see him in the RedV next year regardless of where he plays for the Donkeys this year. Quality signing imo.

possm

Coach
The only people who would know our salary cap position is those within the club. We could be flushed with funds for all you know.

They won't release him because he is such a quality player and would strengthen us greatly. Bennett is no fool. This dropping is purely personal because Hunt dare leave the Broncos. Had they also been against a top team this week I would dare say he would not have been dropped.
Having Hunt, Dugan and Packer all together would be great however, it seems we will never see this happen. Let's hope Dugan and Packer's replacements are up to the task and the team will not decline in 2018.

Getting Hunt is a plus so all we need to do is to ensure replacements for Dugan and Packer are up to the task. We have the rest of the season plus all off-season to make this happen.

possm

Coach
Just read the story about dropping Hunt on nrl.com. Bennett was pretty clear.

That is according to Bennett, who said Hunt's running game had not been as effective in 2017 compared to previous years.

"We need him to run the ball more. He's one of the best ball runners in the game," he said."One of the criteria to play rugby league is to run the ball. We need him to run the ball."It wasn't an easy decision but it's been made. The reason is Ben's form.

This really means SFA for Dragons in 2018. It really does sound like he needs a change (like Vaughan and McInnes). The longer he's in reggies the better imo and hope he doesn't play FG against us in round 24. Still can't wait to see him in the RedV next year regardless of where he plays for the Donkeys this year. Quality signing imo.
Give Hunt a break. He has made a decision to leave and is off-side with his coach - Bennett - because of his decision to come to the Dragons. In addition, Hunt is coming back from injury and is obviously not fully fit to play at the standard Bennett wants.

ALSGI

Bench
Give Hunt a break. He has made a decision to leave and is off-side with his coach - Bennett - because of his decision to come to the Dragons. In addition, Hunt is coming back from injury and is obviously not fully fit to play at the standard Bennett wants.
I was giving hunt a break?

Old Timer

Coach
Having Hunt, Dugan and Packer all together would be great however, it seems we will never see this happen. Let's hope Dugan and Packer's replacements are up to the task and the team will not decline in 2018.

Getting Hunt is a plus so all we need to do is to ensure replacements for Dugan and Packer are up to the task. We have the rest of the season plus all off-season to make this happen.
Believe possum you don't want Hunt here early to play with Dugan and Packer.
All that will happen is, we will win the comp, Duges will play the expansive style of football we all want and Packer will destroy the opposition with offloads and then we will sit back and say "why didn't we keep those 2 guys and go back to back for a few years"
No best he stays where he is so you can control your blood pressure.

possm

Coach
Believe possum you don't want Hunt here early to play with Dugan and Packer.
All that will happen is, we will win the comp, Duges will play the expansive style of football we all want and Packer will destroy the opposition with offloads and then we will sit back and say "why didn't we keep those 2 guys and go back to back for a few years"
No best he stays where he is so you can control your blood pressure.
There is no indication that Hunt will come early. I would dearly love for that to happen but I'm sure Bennett won't release him and doubt Millward has a spare 300k to accommodate him. The only way this may happen is if Bennett needed to bring someone in early and need to cap space. If this happened we would have to ask uncle Benny to arrange for a TPA for Hunt - 100k salary cap and 200k TPA.

ALSGI

Bench
There is no indication that Hunt will come early. I would dearly love for that to happen but I'm sure Bennett won't release him and doubt Millward has a spare 300k to accommodate him. The only way this may happen is if Bennett needed to bring someone in early and need to cap space. If this happened we would have to ask uncle Benny to arrange for a TPA for Hunt - 100k salary cap and 200k TPA.
Same article on nrl.com, Bennett makes it clear Ben is a Bronco this year.

"Ben has always been going to the Dragons next year. It's not this year. He's an important part of our club and it will remain that way.

"He won't be out of first grade for too long. He just needs to go back and fix a couple of things in his game. He won't be going anywhere [this year]."

Latest posts