What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Don't think it's a soft spot for the Cows, more a greater dislike for other teams.
Only team Other team I like to see go well is Newcastle, and only since Brown took over.
One thing I have noticed most of my fellow BIG RED V fans totally hate the donkeys,bullgrubs,roarters and stormers also scumulla .the cowboys I have a soft spot for them it seems a lot of you might be in the same boat.
I hate all other teams. I just hate some other teams a little more than others...

JDHD

Juniors
One thing I have noticed most of my fellow BIG RED V fans totally hate the donkeys,bullgrubs,roarters and stormers also scumulla .the cowboys I have a soft spot for them it seems a lot of you might be in the same boat.

The key difference between the Cowboys and the other four is that the Cows were absolutely god awful for decades, while the others have had sustained success from salary cap rorting and often at the Dragons expense. Broncos beat us in two GFs, plus knocked us out in golden point one year, Bulldogs and storm's cap manipulation has been well-documented (plus they both beat us in grand finals in the 90s) while the Roosters are all of those things plus their roster is made of a bunch of sex pests and domestic violence offenders.

JDHD

Juniors
But I must admit, I do have a soft spot for the Cows. I have family in Townsville and they're also the only team I've said would win the comp before the season started and actually was right

possm

Coach
Ben Hunt faces increasing pressure for Broncos starting halfback from Benji Marshall and Kodi Nikorima
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
June 6, 2017 5:49pm
Subscriber only
BEN Hunt is fighting for his starting spot at the Broncos, with coach Wayne Bennett revealing a rejuvenated Benji Marshall is putting pressure on Brisbane’s first-choice halfback.

Bennett told The Courier-Mail he was considering starting Marshall in a full-strength Broncos side after his slick form in the past fortnight amid Brisbane’s traditional State of Origin grind.

Hunt, who will join the Dragons next season on a $6 million deal, has lost two consecutive games since his return from injury and must pilot Brisbane to victory against Souths this Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Bennett signed Marshall to a shock $100,000 deal last October with a view to the veteran playmaker helping out during an Origin period that annually decimates Brisbane’s starting side.

But Marshall’s superb display against the Roosters last week, headlined by a try and two try assists, has impressed Bennett and turned up the heat on the Anthony Milford-Hunt scrumbase alliance.

Hunt was named at halfback on Tuesday, with Marshall at No.19 for the Souths clash, but Bennett will wait until Brisbane’s captain’s run on Thursday to finalise his 17-man squad.

“Benji is keeping them honest,” Bennett said of his four-way scrumbase battle that includes supersub Kodi Nikorima.

“Competition makes such a difference, it brings out the best in everyone.

“We have Anthony and Ben as our halves, but there’s Benji and Kodi and I’m watching all of them.

“Benji can play halfback, five-eighth, centre and fullback so he gives me options. I’ll make a final decision on the team on Thursday.”

The Courier-Mail understands classy five-eighth Milford, who made his Queensland Origin debut last Wednesday, is under no threat.

But Hunt is not a selection untouchable, with Bennett impressed by the development of Nikorima, who won five straight games as a starting halfback while Hunt nursed a hamstring injury.

The super coach also lauded the 32-year-old Marshall’s off-field attitude, which is set to deliver the former Kiwi Test skipper a 12-month contract extension at Red Hill.

“Benji is just what we needed at this time of year, that’s why I wanted him,” he said. “He was one of the stars of the game in his prime and he hasn’t lost that, he still has the desire for it.

“He has been wonderful for this club, I can’t fault the contribution he has made since he came here. I am pleased with the opportunities he’s had and hopefully he gets some more opportunities in the coming weeks.”

Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough said Marshall’s performances are evidence no player at Red Hill can take an NRL spot for granted.

“It’s a luxury having him,” he said. “I’m glad I’m not picking the team.

“It’s up to Wayne and he will pick the most balanced team we need to have.

“It’s a good headache to have, especially during this period. To have Benji’s experience is great ... it keeps everyone on their toes and keeps everyone performing.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a/news-story/0ee810f8af428886d8938ff4e7091c37
Hunt is a halfback and Bennett has Benji playing at five-eighth, so not Benji for Hunt it's Benji for Millward. It seems Bennett understands how to get the best out of Benji. Just another example why Mary should not be extended.

mickeylane

Bench
Hunt is a halfback and Bennett has Benji playing at five-eighth, so not Benji for Hunt it's Benji for Millward. It seems Bennett understands how to get the best out of Benji. Just another example why Mary should not be extended.
Benji is playing 5/8 his favourite position - Benji was never a halfback btw McGregor has been confirmed for 2 years.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
For those doubting Hunt's ability, I wouldn't worry. Behind a pack like ours he will excel, I just think it's a case of his time at the Broncos being up. He needs a fresh start elsewhere and we can give him that.
It's also a great chance to put any past demons behind him and take this team to a premiership, I think he will relish a challenge like that.

MilanDragon

Juniors
But I must admit, I do have a soft spot for the Cows. I have family in Townsville and they're also the only team I've said would win the comp before the season started and actually was right

Never say the dragons will win the comp before the season starts.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation on this matter.

SaintElroy

Juniors
For those doubting Hunt's ability, I wouldn't worry. Behind a pack like ours he will excel, I just think it's a case of his time at the Broncos being up. He needs a fresh start elsewhere and we can give him that.
It's also a great chance to put any past demons behind him and take this team to a premiership, I think he will relish a challenge like that.

I'm excited to see our edge runners be put into a hole off him with the defence worried he may also take on the line. It's been a long time since we have had a decent halfback

Alec's-saints

Juniors
NRL ROUND 14 LATE MAIL — One of the biggest selection calls in Brisbane’s recent history looms with Ben Hunt facing a shock stint in reserve grade this weekend.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is set to put his money where his mouth is after declaring midweek that veteran recruit Benji Marshall was pressuring Hunt for the No. 7 jumper, with the 2014 Kangaroos utility running with the reserves in Thursday morning’s captain’s run.

After outplaying Hunt in last week’s clutch loss to the Roosters, Marshall is expected to move from an extended bench into the game-day 17 for Friday’s home clash with the Rabbitohs. UNBELIEVABLE

TomRedVRiver

Bench
What an absolute joke, Marshall has two decent games and they drop Hunt to reserve grade. What an insult.

If that's the way Bennett is going to treat him he may as well stop playing games and release him to us.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
What an absolute joke, Marshall has two decent games and they drop Hunt to reserve grade. What an insult.

If that's the way Bennett is going to treat him he may as well stop playing games and release him to us.

WTF do you care about Brisbane's team selection? As it stands Ben Hunt is a Bronco, not a Dragon... And Benji is currently outplaying him.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
NRL ROUND 14 LATE MAIL — One of the biggest selection calls in Brisbane’s recent history looms with Ben Hunt facing a shock stint in reserve grade this weekend.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is set to put his money where his mouth is after declaring midweek that veteran recruit Benji Marshall was pressuring Hunt for the No. 7 jumper, with the 2014 Kangaroos utility running with the reserves in Thursday morning’s captain’s run.

After outplaying Hunt in last week’s clutch loss to the Roosters, Marshall is expected to move from an extended bench into the game-day 17 for Friday’s home clash with the Rabbitohs. UNBELIEVABLE

There you have it, our $6 million dollar man is a reserve grader. People on here have him as a top 3 halfback in the NRL, yet his coach doesn't even rate him the best in his club.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
There you have it, our $6 million dollar man is a reserve grader. People on here have him as a top 3 halfback in the NRL, yet his coach doesn't even rate him the best in his club.
Don't you think mr bennett is well known for this Broncos to roosters you can stay in Reggie's and now Hunt wants out and yes probably not in top form .his form must have dropped a lot if Benjl is looking good, wake up Hunt wants to be down here away from his dickhead coach.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Vaughn was dropped last year too, il back hunt

Vaughan was up against much stiffer competition for a spot than Hunt.

Don't you think mr bennett is well known for this Broncos to roosters you can stay in Reggie's and now Hunt wants out and yes probably not in top form .his form must have dropped a lot if Benjl is looking good, wake up Hunt wants to be down here away from his dickhead coach.

Yeah Bennett is well known for dropping players after they sign elsewhere because he did it once 16 years ago under much different circumstances...

TomRedVRiver

Bench
WTF do you care about Brisbane's team selection? As it stands Ben Hunt is a Bronco, not a Dragon... And Benji is currently outplaying him.

First of all, I care about our playmaker next season. Secondly it's not up to you to tell me what to think about Brisbane Broncos team selection.

Hunt has been injured for 8 weeks and he's only just returned from injury. I feel like it's a bit rushed to make a call this early.
Paul Vaughan was dropped to reserve grade and now look at him. Hunt needs a new club, I have no doubt he'll excel with us.

Latest posts