What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

JDHD

Juniors
Considering most (if not all) experts, commentators and fans (including myself) had the Dragons in the bottom two or bottom four, writing anyone off as a wasted expense for 2018 when the 2017 season is only half done is silly.

possm

Coach
Considering most (if not all) experts, commentators and fans (including myself) had the Dragons in the bottom two or bottom four, writing anyone off as a wasted expense for 2018 when the 2017 season is only half done is silly.
Yes well we weren't privy to the new playing style until round one. Even during the trials the team played old style football.

mickeylane

Bench
In my opinion we will have one of the best halves combinations in the competition in 2018. But why did we have to lose both Dugan and Packer which now weakens our side. One step forward and two steps back. And we don't have any faith in the designated junior replacemnts or have a marquee replacement lined up to take Dugan's place or a hard nosed forward to take Packer's place.
Patience we will sign 2 very good players

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Ben Hunt faces increasing pressure for Broncos starting halfback from Benji Marshall and Kodi Nikorima
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
June 6, 2017 5:49pm
Subscriber only
BEN Hunt is fighting for his starting spot at the Broncos, with coach Wayne Bennett revealing a rejuvenated Benji Marshall is putting pressure on Brisbane’s first-choice halfback.

Bennett told The Courier-Mail he was considering starting Marshall in a full-strength Broncos side after his slick form in the past fortnight amid Brisbane’s traditional State of Origin grind.

Hunt, who will join the Dragons next season on a $6 million deal, has lost two consecutive games since his return from injury and must pilot Brisbane to victory against Souths this Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Bennett signed Marshall to a shock $100,000 deal last October with a view to the veteran playmaker helping out during an Origin period that annually decimates Brisbane’s starting side.

But Marshall’s superb display against the Roosters last week, headlined by a try and two try assists, has impressed Bennett and turned up the heat on the Anthony Milford-Hunt scrumbase alliance.

Hunt was named at halfback on Tuesday, with Marshall at No.19 for the Souths clash, but Bennett will wait until Brisbane’s captain’s run on Thursday to finalise his 17-man squad.

“Benji is keeping them honest,” Bennett said of his four-way scrumbase battle that includes supersub Kodi Nikorima.

“Competition makes such a difference, it brings out the best in everyone.

“We have Anthony and Ben as our halves, but there’s Benji and Kodi and I’m watching all of them.

“Benji can play halfback, five-eighth, centre and fullback so he gives me options. I’ll make a final decision on the team on Thursday.”

The Courier-Mail understands classy five-eighth Milford, who made his Queensland Origin debut last Wednesday, is under no threat.

But Hunt is not a selection untouchable, with Bennett impressed by the development of Nikorima, who won five straight games as a starting halfback while Hunt nursed a hamstring injury.

The super coach also lauded the 32-year-old Marshall’s off-field attitude, which is set to deliver the former Kiwi Test skipper a 12-month contract extension at Red Hill.

“Benji is just what we needed at this time of year, that’s why I wanted him,” he said. “He was one of the stars of the game in his prime and he hasn’t lost that, he still has the desire for it.

“He has been wonderful for this club, I can’t fault the contribution he has made since he came here. I am pleased with the opportunities he’s had and hopefully he gets some more opportunities in the coming weeks.”

Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough said Marshall’s performances are evidence no player at Red Hill can take an NRL spot for granted.

“It’s a luxury having him,” he said. “I’m glad I’m not picking the team.

“It’s up to Wayne and he will pick the most balanced team we need to have.

“It’s a good headache to have, especially during this period. To have Benji’s experience is great ... it keeps everyone on their toes and keeps everyone performing.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a/news-story/0ee810f8af428886d8938ff4e7091c37

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Ben Hunt faces increasing pressure for Broncos starting halfback from Benji Marshall and Kodi Nikorima
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
June 6, 2017 5:49pm
Subscriber only
BEN Hunt is fighting for his starting spot at the Broncos, with coach Wayne Bennett revealing a rejuvenated Benji Marshall is putting pressure on Brisbane’s first-choice halfback.

Bennett told The Courier-Mail he was considering starting Marshall in a full-strength Broncos side after his slick form in the past fortnight amid Brisbane’s traditional State of Origin grind.

Hunt, who will join the Dragons next season on a $6 million deal, has lost two consecutive games since his return from injury and must pilot Brisbane to victory against Souths this Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Bennett signed Marshall to a shock $100,000 deal last October with a view to the veteran playmaker helping out during an Origin period that annually decimates Brisbane’s starting side.

But Marshall’s superb display against the Roosters last week, headlined by a try and two try assists, has impressed Bennett and turned up the heat on the Anthony Milford-Hunt scrumbase alliance.

Hunt was named at halfback on Tuesday, with Marshall at No.19 for the Souths clash, but Bennett will wait until Brisbane’s captain’s run on Thursday to finalise his 17-man squad.

“Benji is keeping them honest,” Bennett said of his four-way scrumbase battle that includes supersub Kodi Nikorima.

“Competition makes such a difference, it brings out the best in everyone.

“We have Anthony and Ben as our halves, but there’s Benji and Kodi and I’m watching all of them.

“Benji can play halfback, five-eighth, centre and fullback so he gives me options. I’ll make a final decision on the team on Thursday.”

The Courier-Mail understands classy five-eighth Milford, who made his Queensland Origin debut last Wednesday, is under no threat.

But Hunt is not a selection untouchable, with Bennett impressed by the development of Nikorima, who won five straight games as a starting halfback while Hunt nursed a hamstring injury.

The super coach also lauded the 32-year-old Marshall’s off-field attitude, which is set to deliver the former Kiwi Test skipper a 12-month contract extension at Red Hill.

“Benji is just what we needed at this time of year, that’s why I wanted him,” he said. “He was one of the stars of the game in his prime and he hasn’t lost that, he still has the desire for it.

“He has been wonderful for this club, I can’t fault the contribution he has made since he came here. I am pleased with the opportunities he’s had and hopefully he gets some more opportunities in the coming weeks.”

Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough said Marshall’s performances are evidence no player at Red Hill can take an NRL spot for granted.

“It’s a luxury having him,” he said. “I’m glad I’m not picking the team.

“It’s up to Wayne and he will pick the most balanced team we need to have.

“It’s a good headache to have, especially during this period. To have Benji’s experience is great ... it keeps everyone on their toes and keeps everyone performing.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a/news-story/0ee810f8af428886d8938ff4e7091c37

Whilst I'm sure it's unlikely, it would make a very interesting situation for us regarding recruitment if Hunt were to be dropped for Benji for the remainder of the season.

Life's Good

Coach
Whilst I'm sure it's unlikely, it would make a very interesting situation for us regarding recruitment if Hunt were to be dropped for Benji for the remainder of the season.
Bennett has form on this with Justin Hodges. He dropped him once he signed with the Roosters. I am sure there are others. Maybe this is the start of something that leads to his release and the loss of Dugan & Packer is enough to frontload a contract. f**k, starting to sound like a couple of the speculative posters in this place!

blacksafake

First Grade
Benji is not a 7, he is a running albeit slower 6 as was shown when he played for us.
I reckon Bennett is playing mind games with Hunt in order to challenge him.
I just love this part of the article, "Hunt, who will join the Dragons next season on a $6 million deal, has lost two consecutive games since his return from injury and must pilot Brisbane to victory against Souths this Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.So he has lost both games not anyone else who was part of the 17. He has been back when they were minus origin players as well as those backing up next game.
Anyway Wayne if you are reading this please feel free to send him our way asap.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
You are all jumping up and down hailing the great JT... he has been a great 7 no doubt but i said in 2018!!
Next year JT will be 35 and playing with 1 shoulder, NQ wouldn't rank above us.
If Broncos play Bird at 6 and Milf at 7 maybe they are better... so much negativity in here it is frightening
Tend to disagree bird and milf are both running 5/8s not great organisers I feel that matchup may not work great

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Benji is not a 7, he is a running albeit slower 6 as was shown when he played for us.
I reckon Bennett is playing mind games with Hunt in order to challenge him.
I just love this part of the article, "Hunt, who will join the Dragons next season on a $6 million deal, has lost two consecutive games since his return from injury and must pilot Brisbane to victory against Souths this Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.So he has lost both games not anyone else who was part of the 17. He has been back when they were minus origin players as well as those backing up next game.
Anyway Wayne if you are reading this please feel free to send him our way asap.

I agree because Bennett actually said Benji was a 6 and not a 7 when he signed him.

JDHD

Juniors
OK its confession time.

I cheered, when hunt dropped the ball in the GF against the cows. And now I feel bad as he will shortly join us.

Am I alone on this?

I only cheered because it meant that Justin Hodges was going to leave the game a loser. Ben Hunt in 2014/15 was one of the most entertaining and classy halves in the game. He's dropped a fair way down the pecking order since the grand final for obvious reasons but he'd be watching the dragons pack this year and absolutely drooling about playing behind it next year.

Old Timer

Coach
I only cheered because it meant that Justin Hodges was going to leave the game a loser. Ben Hunt in 2014/15 was one of the most entertaining and classy halves in the game. He's dropped a fair way down the pecking order since the grand final for obvious reasons but he'd be watching the dragons pack this year and absolutely drooling about playing behind it next year.
I was on a plane coming back from Dubai watching it live and when he dropped it I jumped out of the seat and gave 50 fist pumps and big yahoo.
Lucky the didn't think I was terrorist with all my carry on.
Needless to say Mrs OT managed to convince people I was just a little excited over the footy of which most passengers had no comprehension.

JDHD

Juniors
I was on a plane coming back from Dubai watching it live and when he dropped it I jumped out of the seat and gave 50 fist pumps and big yahoo.
Lucky the didn't think I was terrorist with all my carry on.
Needless to say Mrs OT managed to convince people I was just a little excited over the footy of which most passengers had no comprehension.

Jeez mate, playing with fire much? Haha. Seriously though, that whole Queensland core (ie Smith, Cronk, Slater, Thaiday) needs to go. My enjoyment of games has increased measurably since Hodges and Corey Parker retired and I expect it will treble in the next two or three years.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
One thing I have noticed most of my fellow BIG RED V fans totally hate the donkeys,bullgrubs,roarters and stormers also scumulla .the cowboys I have a soft spot for them it seems a lot of you might be in the same boat.

ALSGI

Bench
One thing I have noticed most of my fellow BIG RED V fans totally hate the donkeys,bullgrubs,roarters and stormers also scumulla .the cowboys I have a soft spot for them it seems a lot of you might be in the same boat.
Don't think it's a soft spot for the Cows, more a greater dislike for other teams.
Only team Other team I like to see go well is Newcastle, and only since Brown took over.

Latest posts