What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

chiefy1

Juniors
Lol the highest paid reserve grader in history.

Please sack mcgregor before it's too late !

BrissyRedV

Bench
And some of the games they won whilst he was out injured were pure arse ,more than good management....cant remember which ones but at least on 2 occassions they should have lost...one was against The Titans
The other was the knock on field goal against the Rabbits from memory and you cannot forget the consistant leg up they have received from the refs in several others.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
LOL the people bagging Bennett on here will be the same people tearing Ben Hunt to shreds for the next 6 years when he fails to live up to his price tag.

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor not concerned by Hunt demotion

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

8 Jun 2017, 7 p.m.
DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor has no concerns over the club’s decision to go all-in on Ben Hunt from next season, despite the Broncos half being dropped to reserve grade by Wayne Bennett this week.

r0_0_3709_2555_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DUMPED: Dragons-bound Broncos half Ben Hunt has been dropped to reserve grade this week by coach Wayne Bennett. Picture: Getty Images

Hunt’s six-year six-million-dollar deal, done prior to the start of the 2017 season, sparked a market frenzy in the NRL halves ranks and took a big bite out of the Dragons salary cap.

It led some to question the wisdom of the long-term deal given Hunt's struggle to recapture his red-hot 2015 form that spurred the Broncos to the grand final.

Those question marks re-emerged on Thursday when Hunt was dumped by Bennett ahead of the Broncos clash with Souths on Friday.

McGregor will coach Hunt for at least two of his six seasons with the Dragons, having signed a two-year contract extension this week, and said he has no doubts that Hunt will be a valuable acquisition.

“I’ve got no doubts at all,” McGregor said when asked whether Hunt’s demotion gave him pause for thought.

“Ben’s certainly a good acquisition for our club in 2018. He is playing with the Broncos in 2017 so he’s not going to help us this year but going forward he’s definitely a player we think will take the club in a good direction.

“I watch a lot of footy and certainly when I’ve seen Ben Hunt play, up until his injury, he was playing really well. I saw the game he played against the Warriors [two weeks ago] and I thought he played really well there.

“We’ve seen this year with the players that have come to our club in Cameron McInnes and Paul Vaughan… they didn’t finish in first grade last year and they’re playing the best footy of their careers. I’ve got no doubt when Ben does come into our environment he’ll play really good footy.”

Bennett anointed Hunt’s replacement Kodi Nikorima as the Broncos long-term halfback on Thursday but indicated Hunt wouldn’t be released early from the final year of his contract.

McGregor said he’s not about to delve back into recruitment and retention in an effort to get Hunt to the club this year.

“You’d have to talk to [recruitment chief] Ian [Millward] about that but I’m very comfortable with our playing group and where we’re sitting on the table,” McGregor said.

“It’s something I haven’t really thought about and won’t give much energy to right now. I’m very comfortable with our roster.”

Hunt’s woes have provided an opportunity for Benji Marshall to continue his NRL career after being let go by the Dragons last season, with McGregor happy to see his former charge’s new lease on life.

“I’ve always liked Benj,” McGregor said.

“He was really good for us in 2015. You’ve got to remember he came second in the Dally M that year.

“He obviously had his issues last year with a lot of injuries and the travel he was doing but he’s found a nice stable home in Brisbane. He’s obviously enjoying what he’s doing up there and we’re seeing the fruits of that in how he’s playing.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4717722/mcgregor-unfazed-by-hunts-broncos-axing/?cs=3713

giboz71

First Grade
LOL

I find it amusing that Ben Hunt hasn't even laced a boot for us yet and people are already bagging him. Probably the same dopes who thought McInnes and Vaughan were dud signings too?

Well we are running 3rd I suppose so it's hard to lay shit on Mary and the team so let's death ride a bloke who isn't even here yet.

FMD.

cussy

Juniors
LOL

I find it amusing that Ben Hunt hasn't even laced a boot for us yet and people are already bagging him. Probably the same dopes who thought McInnes and Vaughan were dud signings too?

Well we are running 3rd I suppose so it's hard to lay shit on Mary and the team so let's death ride a bloke who isn't even here yet.

FMD.
It's pretty f**ked up I reckon. Same people you give a million dollars to and they would whinge because one $5 note has a crease in it.

Crescent dragon

Juniors
It's very harsh I thought Hunt had pretty good game and I certainly didn't see him do anything wrong. He created Benji's first try. What's more confusing is that it was his first game back after injury. I find it confusing and think there's more to it.
I'm with you, 1 game back and sacked and he went ok.
Sure they lost and Benji went well but why not leave Benji on the bench?
More to it perhaps, don't think Bennetts plan will work though, they will soon find Benji weaknesses

mickeylane

Bench

Lol are you a comedian?
Ben Hunt will be top 2 halfbacks in the NRL next year and beyond - already statistically he's in the too 3 for the past 3 years. Get your facts straight!

Minh

First Grade
Before his injury this year, Hunt was the Bronco's best player consistently alongside Darius Boyd. I've been watching him really closely since we signed him and he certainly outplayed Milford by a long way. I hope this comes back to bit Bennett in the arse as I think he's a pretty bitter person when he loses players he wants to retain, Hodges comes to mind.....

Life's Good

Coach

Nah. Hunts big dollars are for next year,not this year so he sure isn't the highest paid reserve grader. As for the highest paid reserve grader this year, that would be the pea heart Mitchell Moses which your club just forked out a small fortune on.
Anyway Razor, your bait is very poor. Get back to trolling the Tigers.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Bennett is a bitter man becoming a blight on the game. He is only coaching England because he missed the Australian job. Hunt has been a long term Bronco player that has done well for them and deserves more. Bennett's action is more of a reflection of his own twisted outlook on life than Ben Hunt's current form which I think is good.

The calm one

Juniors
Bennett is a bitter man becoming a blight on the game. He is only coaching England because he missed the Australian job. Hunt has been a long term Bronco player that has done well for them and deserves more. Bennett's action is more of a reflection of his own twisted outlook on life than Ben Hunt's current form which I think is good.
Uncle Wayne is use to getting what uncle Wayne wants, especially when it comes to lining his own pocket. He wanted Hunt to stay, Hunt didn't. Uncle Wayne didn't get his own way. Is there going to be bad blood between them of course there is, Even if the move comes back to bite him on the arse, nothing will happen because it is Uncle Wayne. I bet Des is wishing he was Uncle Wayne at the moment

BringTheNoise

Juniors
LOL

FMD.

Not so much bagging Hunt, more bagging the club and the incompetent fool in charge of recruitment who paid stupid money to sign him. When you look at the market there is absolutely no denying we paid ridiculous overs for him and now our cap is very little wiggle room for the next 6 years.

Well done to Hunt's manager, he's done a great job. His client is now paid in the same bracket as Cameron Smith and Jonathon Thurston despite not even being fit to tie their laces.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Uncle Wayne is use to getting what uncle Wayne wants, especially when it comes to lining his own pocket. He wanted Hunt to stay, Hunt didn't. Uncle Wayne didn't get his own way. Is there going to be bad blood between them of course there is, Even if the move comes back to bite him on the arse, nothing will happen because it is Uncle Wayne. I bet Des is wishing he was Uncle Wayne at the moment

If Uncle Wayne really wanted to keep Hunt then maybe he should've upped his offer by riding a dirt bike to negotiations to counter Mary's jetski.

giboz71

First Grade
Not so much bagging Hunt, more bagging the club and the incompetent fool in charge of recruitment who paid stupid money to sign him. When you look at the market there is absolutely no denying we paid ridiculous overs for him and now our cap is very little wiggle room for the next 6 years.

Well done to Hunt's manager, he's done a great job. His client is now paid in the same bracket as Cameron Smith and Jonathon Thurston despite not even being fit to tie their laces.

We won't know if it's stupid money until he starts playing for us. If he makes us a perennial top 4 team and wins us a comp in his time with us, I'd say it's money well spent. Time will tell. And Millward has come out and said the reported million dollar figures per year are inflated. So no one really knows what the real dollars are?

We haven't had a proper halfback since the late 1970's so I for one am happy we have a bona fide rep calibre half joining us next year. We've shown what we can do with a NSW cup half this year so I for one am excited to see how we go with a top line half.

And Hunt's form has hardly been poor, he was close to the Broncos best player before he got hurt.

And LoL at Bennett trying to convince us that dropping Hunt for Benji f**king Marshall isn't a dig at Hunt for signing with us next year.