What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

mxlegend99

Referee
My understanding is that Hook would have remained at Broncos but Bennett 'wanted to come home'.
That's not what the Broncos said.

The decision was made official at a press conference fronted by Broncos CEO Paul White and the sacked Anthony Griffin. White, a staunch ally of Griffin, made it clear that Griffin was axed because the team’s results did not meet expectations.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/570c43c922897621f282af64713be96f

The first coach in the club's history to reach the finals three years running, provided we win 2 more games. Why are we even having this discussion?

58.2% from 67 games winning record at Panthers. Only behind Ron Willey 66% from 47 games though.
While we are looking at coaches numbers at Penrith.

Gould 110 games 55.5% (1 Premiership)
Lang 126 games 51.6% (1 Premiership)

No one else above 50%
Next best
Cleary 98 games 44.9%
Elliott 111 games 44.1%
Sheens 98 games 43.9%
Simmons 177 games 42.9%
The rest aren't worth posting. Some tough years at the start and in the early 80's.

Blade23

Juniors
58.2% from 67 games winning record at Panthers. Only behind Ron Willey 66% from 47 games though.
While we are looking at coaches numbers at Penrith.

Gould 110 games 55.5% (1 Premiership)
Lang 126 games 51.6% (1 Premiership)

No one else above 50%
Next best
Cleary 98 games 44.9%
Elliott 111 games 44.1%
Sheens 98 games 43.9%
Simmons 177 games 42.9%
The rest aren't worth posting. Some tough years at the start and in the early 80's.

One could argue Ivan's percentage could be slightly higher due to the rot he inherited from Elliott and Leary.

TheFrog

Coach
Only behind Ron Willey 66% from 47 games
Ron would have achieved 3 years running with the squad he had at his disposal, but was shown the door after the club's most successful year ever up to that time. It was never really revealed why as far as I know (it never is) but maybe it was the way he used to rev his sides up to play rough, or maybe it was that he didn't get along with Greg Alexander.

One could argue Ivan's percentage could be slightly higher due to the rot he inherited from Elliott and Leary.

Absolutely no doubt about that. Cleary left the club in much better shape than when he found it.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Griffin might end up back home himself if we finish the year well.
I suggested this some weeks back. Not because of any information but because the Broncos appear now to have made their bed as far as Bennett is concerned. Having tried unsuccessfully to lure 2 coaches to the club, you have to expect them to continue trying. The two they have approached are recent premiership winners, so that might be what it takes for them to go after Hook. It has been suggested by Paul Kent that Flanagan might be next cab off the rank.

Ron would have achieved 3 years running with the squad he had at his disposal, but was shown the door after the club's most successful year ever up to that time. It was never really revealed why as far as I know (it never is) but maybe it was the way he used to rev his sides up to play rough, or maybe it was that he didn't get along with Greg Alexander.

I seem to remember Willey getting ridiculed for making a few controversial team selections in the 1989 finals. I think he left Izzard out of one of the teams?
Against Balmain he had Fittler & Mortimer training at 6 all week and didn't tell who was playing just before kick off.
I seem recall it wasn't a shock by years end when the club announced his departure. An old school coach that hadn't kept up with the times. We achieved a lot under him but at the time we could have done much more.
Those days to me feel like another lifetime ago.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
I wonder how Len Stacker would have gone with the 88-89 sides. The guy didn't have much to work with when he was in the job.

franklin2323

Immortal
Its all good.

Broncos moved on from Bennett thinking he wasnt good enough too. Found out that none of his replacements were any better and was begged to come back.

I remember him being interviewed about it recently.

Same thing will happen here. These finals are good especially given our past eventually the board/Gus will want and demand more. That is when the coach will go even if we are still making the finals

I seem to remember Willey getting ridiculed for making a few controversial team selections in the 1989 finals. I think he left Izzard out of one of the teams?
Against Balmain he had Fittler & Mortimer training at 6 all week and didn't tell who was playing just before kick off.
I seem recall it wasn't a shock by years end when the club announced his departure. An old school coach that hadn't kept up with the times. We achieved a lot under him but at the time we could have done much more.

He played Fittler at 6 in the semi finals after only playing 2 FG games, Izzard had been the 5/8 for the last 3 games of the season. I think Steve Carter had gone down injured towards the end of the season.

TheFrog

Coach
He played Fittler at 6 in the semi finals after only playing 2 FG games, Izzard had been the 5/8 for the last 3 games of the season. I think Steve Carter had gone down injured towards the end of the season.
He dropped Chris Mortimer to the bench for Fittler. While Fittler was a champion in the making the side could ill afford to lose the experience of Mortimer in the early going. What irked fans the most was his devotion to the error-prone fullback Neil Baker. Willey brought Baker with him and when he was sacked, Baker left too, never to play first grade again.

It was Baker whose errors forced us to play from behind in both 1989 finals.

Last edited:
He dropped Chris Mortimer to the bench for Fittler. While Fittler was a champion in the making the side could ill afford to lose the experience of Mortimer in the early going. What irked fans the most was his devotion to the error-prone fullback Neil Baker. Willey brought Baker with him and when he was sacked, Baker left too, never to play first grade again.

Fun fact: Neil Baker still holds the 1 point field goal record. In a single season he kicked 20 of them. Did like a drop kick.

franklin2323

Immortal

Hopefully we don't blow this squad like we did both times we had success

Further to that both Fittler and Mortimer were named at 5/8 on the team sheet Tuesday and the side trained all week with both at 5/8. Neither knew who was starting.
According to Mortimer he asked all week who was getting the nod to start and each time he was waved away. With 15 minutes to go before kick off on game day (wouldn't get away with that now) it was finally revealed Fittler would be starting. Fittler held his own but Mortimer's experience as eluded too was sorely missed early on. By time Mortimer came on the game was pretty much over.

Don't get me started on Baker.

Baker helped us win a game against the 1st-placed Rabbitohs during the '89 season. Set up a couple of tries and kicked his mandatory field goal. I think McIndoe had a whale of game from memory despite having asthma.

Apart from that, I can't remember too much else of Baker during his Penrith days.

Shayne Stead was looking good during the season but got injured and wasn't really heard of again