What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Milford

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I really couldn't give a shit if Milford leaves the Raiders or not at this point, but the way Raiders fans are attempting (miserably) to take some sort of moral high ground about this issue is hysterical.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
You stopped a little short bolding the relevant sentence.

No I bolded the relevant section. If the clause says the raiders will look favourably upon any release requests in the case of his fathers health deteriorating than that's the important part. If he's better than he was when he signed the contract that's in fact the complete opposite of deterioration.

No I bolded the relevant section. If the clause says the raiders will look favourably upon any release requests in the case of his fathers health deteriorating than that's the important part. If he's better than he was when he signed the contract that's in fact the complete opposite of deterioration.

A lot of the broncos fans seem to be missing this point as does his douche bag of an agent...if his father is well enough to travel down to canberra to watch games like he has been his health is hardly deteriorating is it???

Bretto

Bench
A lot of the broncos fans seem to be missing this point as does his douche bag of an agent...if his father is well enough to travel down to canberra to watch games like he has been his health is hardly deteriorating is it???

How would any of us know? We aren't doctors. My grandmothers health deteriorated slowly, but she could still travel.

Raider_69

Post Whore
And what about Canberra's obligation to be held up to their side of the contract?

If there is just cause to activate the release, there is little they can do to stop it. At present, there isnt so they are upholding their obligation.

Glad we cleared this up

whykickamoocow

Juniors
With Hodges going down for 9 - 10 months what other Raiders players should we poach? Wighton, Ferguson would be a good start

lynx000

Juniors
If he's so terrible then the Bronco's shouldn't have had a problem

releasing him upon request right? Instead they just rolled him.

I just find it funny that Bronco's fans want to tell us who we should release.

Walt, you seem to have misapprehended the actual facts (something you and friends on the Greenhouse have a habit of). The only source of the rumour of the broncos denying Wallace a release is Gainey, his manager. Do we assume now in your eyes that player managers are a paragon of truth and accuracy? If so, this would seem contrary to your comments about Ayoub. The reality is this, when there was press speculation about the alleged offer from Penrith, Wallace was called to a meeting with Griffin and asked whether he wanted a release, he said no. But don't little things like facts inhibit you and your mates from spreading falsehoods.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Even if Brisbane denied the release its their call to make because he was under contract. Like how Hodges got dropped after he signed for the roosters.

The point is this why in the name of god would you guys to expect the raiders to release milford early unless they have to. Firstly it gives the raiders a year longer to sort out a replacement like ahearn. It gives the raiders its best crack at the 2014 season. Players move on sometimes that's rugby league. However clubs plan around this with contracts.

lynx000

Juniors
Even if Brisbane denied the release its their call to make because he was under contract. Like how Hodges got dropped after he signed for the roosters.

The point is this why in the name of god would you guys to expect the raiders to release milford early unless they have to. Firstly it gives the raiders a year longer to sort out a replacement like ahearn. It gives the raiders its best crack at the 2014 season. Players move on sometimes that's rugby league. However clubs plan around this with contracts.

I completely agree with you Pete. Ultimately it will have to come down to a construction of the clause in the contract. If the requirements of the clause are not met I would expect the Raiders to stand their ground. If the clause is made out, then they may be in breach if they don't release him. We are all pissing in the wind when we don't know what the clause says, and we don't know what the medical evidence is relating to Halo's condition.

hooch is crazy

Juniors

I spose everyone expects Canberra to release him because he asked to be released. He wants to be with his unwell father and the rest of his family. Does it really matter if his old man gets slightly sicker? He's had a bypass. They should let the kid go home and enjoy his father for as long as he can.

I doubt it'll end up like Tallis' situation, with Milford sitting out the final year in protest but who would ever want to play with a team mate who didn't want to be there and has made that fact publicly known?

I don't know what agenda Ayoub has, if any. Seems simple enough for Canberra, though. Let the kid who doesn't want to play for you go home. Spent a bit of money to develop a kid who then bails on you? Welcome to the NRL.

Oh, and in keeping with the theme of this thread: BRISBANE ARE MORALLY NO LESS IN THE RIGHT THAN CANBERRA WOULD BE IF BRISBANE SIGNED MILFORD CAUSE CANBERRA ARE BAD PEOPLE NOT BRISBANE. So there.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
But according to reports from Milford his father is getting better. His father had the heart issues BEFORE Milford signed his current contract. Its why the deterioration clause was put in.

Circumstances have not changed. Clubs don't release players early because they are homesick and neither should the raiders. No doubt a release will be negotiated in the off season but it shouldn't..as the Broncos are learning clubs have to hold up their end of the deal even if the players are shit. Players should hold up their end of the deal as well.

If he signs in 2015 that's just the way sport is but it will be a cold day in hell before I support the raiders releasing a talented player early from his contract when they don't need to. Especially as Brisbane obviously expect to sign milford (and barba) for next year. So for me the ideal situation is both the raiders and the bulldogs playing hardball as is their legal right.

Unless ayoub is incorrect about the contract or his father gets sicker. If the contract is in Milfords favour obviously that's that.

Kiwi

First Grade
I guess that's the interesting thing though Pete. Normally I would agree 100%, but we ain't talking about 2 players just deciding they want to leave for better money. These are two players that want to leave their respective clubs for family reasons. It just happens to be that they are both looking to return to Brisbane and Brisbane is a one town team. Sure you have the Gold Coast, but they are well set in the positions both players play in and have spent a bucket load on signing players like Taylor, Idris ect. If say Milford was from Sydney, there would be the same media circus just more clubs involved. This will all no doubt play out in the off season. The Bulldogs and the Raiders have two choices really, to release or not to release. Bulldogs to be honest are more likely to play hardball as they have Barba for 2 more years and he is an established first grader, but in the same regard they openly call themselves a family club, so that may sway them to agree to releasing Barba from the last two years when his family moves back to Brisbane. The Raiders I think will buckle if Milford wants out, they'll give it to him. They have a pretty good fullback in under 20's, if Milford does want out, and they say no, they will simply have him for 1 year and be developing him further for another club. He'll sign with the Broncos after November and that'll be more money wasted.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think the Titan's would rather Barba than Zillman TBH and that's where his brother plays. Barba is up at the Gold Coast at the moment........hmm.

With Milford, he has never publicly stated that he wants out. I'm sure if he did that then this would be all over. Yes his manager said that he does, but so did Papalii's manager when he was trying to get the Raiders to make a big offer.

Last edited:

Kiwi

First Grade
I think the Titan's would rather Barba than Zillman TBH and that's where his brother plays. Barba is up at the Gold Coast at the moment........hmm.

With Milford, he has never publicly stated that he wants out. I'm sure if he did that then this would be all over. Yes his manager said that he does, but so did Papalii's manager when he was trying to get the Raiders to make a big offer.

Watched the Intrust on Tv and they interviewed Barba while he was there. From what he was saying he was there for family with a week off and couldn't travel till he had the boot off his foot.

Also the Titans have publically backed Zillman as there long term fullback.

Last edited:

Latest posts